I Have An Episode/Character Question *NO Spoilers* P1

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Guest, Mar 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drumchik

Drumchik Captain

Re: I Have An Episode/Character Question Thread *No Spoilers

I actually thought that Jorja was brought on because when Chandra (Holly Gribbs) did the pilot for CSI, she also had the opportunity to have a role on another show, and she chose the other one.

Then again, I could be wrong.

2. Raw_Alex

Raw_Alex Witness

The Holly Gribbs character was originally intended to give CSI the same setup and lead in that ER had when it started, from the point of view of new people starting out. In a sense this is a good way to introduce uninformed viewers to a very complex set of situations. It worked amazingly well with ER, and could have potentially worked with CSI as well.

However, two things come up: "been there done that" and the simple fact that almost every other character on the show was very, very strong from the get go. Holly Gribbs was a pretty weak character all considered, and in real life probably wouldn't have lasted 10 minutes at the job.

I also think that CBS may have been surprised when they tested the show to find out that the audience was much more able to understand fairly complex parts of the CSI job without baby spooning, and probably equally surprised that Grissom was not just a nerdy guy in the corner but a true pillar character that so much can be hung off of.

Changes out of the first episodes included Holly Gribbs getting knocked off, and (what would be a little wierd later) Grissom "taking over the lab", only for us to discover later that he really wasn't in charge (did anyone every truly explain that?)

Jorja Fox was a perfect import, as she created a long term foil for Grissom, and the subject of their personal relationship past and present has hung quietly over the show for 7 seasons, much in the same way the Catherine / Warrick thing has.

Since that first season, CSI has been very careful in introducing new characters, first putting them in a guest star or "featuring" style role, and then slowly bringing them up to the top of the show. Greg and Doc Robbins are both graduates of what might only have been bit parts, and they have both strengthened the show and lent both comic relief and interesting story arcs to the show.

3. TRICK

TRICK Dead on Arrival

O: That's very cool. I find it interesting that Sara Sidle, who was not meant to be in the show at all originally, is now playing such a significant role, especially in the relationship between her and Grissom. Their transition from the original plotline ran very smoothly, in my opinion, as it also introduced Warrick's gambling problem. :3

4. cathwillows

cathwillows CSI Level Three

yeah that could be the episode i was looking for. thanks for your help

5. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

I wonder what the original ending for the pilot was...though I guess they might have just had Holly survive if they were going to keep her...

6. allstar12

allstar12 CSI Level Three

^
    ^
    They could've still had Holly shot, so they could go with Warrick's gambling problem angle. Just have her survive rather than killing her. Guess we'll never know.

7. Cova

Cova Witness

Thanks for clearing that up to one degree or the next guys and gals. ;)

But yeah, the impression I was given with Holly or rather the actress who portrayed her in general seemed like she was bored with the part she was playing. No offense to the actress but she seemed as rigid as a board the whole time.

Also, it might be just me but I was getting serious vibes ala Geneviève Bujold when she auditioned for the part of Janeway on Star Trek: Voyager. She's supposed to be a fantastic actress I hear but she was outright terrible in the clips we saw of her. :eek: That's another bullet we dodged, couldn't imagine anyone else but Kate Mulgrew playing the part.

But back on topic...I always thought that Chandra West chickened out at the last minute or she just decided to up and leave because she wasn't altogether thrilled with the role she was given. :confused:

8. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Okay moving this up for those who can't find it.

9. purelyangelic

purelyangelic Civilian

Hi everyone I'm new and I have an episode question. This is driving me nuts. Which episode is it that has Greg and Sara doing some kind of relay race or something and she gives him a hug at the end of it

Any help would be greatly appreciated

10. allmaple

allmaple Judge

that is season 4 dead ringer :)

11. kaylyne

kaylyne Coroner

That would be Dead Ringer from Season 4 - episode 20

12. Destiny

From another thread:

13. beaujolais

beaujolais Lab Technician

Ben Burdick is the sheriff and Jeff McKeen is the Undersheriff.

IIRC Ecklie is the director of the crime lab.

14. Destiny

Actually Ecklie is the Assistant Director. "Mea Culpa" when then Sheriff Atwater said:

SHERIFF RORY ATWATER: But seriously, folks appointing the new Assistant Director for the Crime Lab is not a task I take lightly. I believe in promoting from within. I believe in rewarding years of dedication and devotion to this department. I believe in Conrad Ecklie.

15. melbel

melbel Pathologist

i thought Ecklie was assistant director

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.