Veg and water anyone?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by wibble, Dec 30, 2006.

1. wibble

wibble Corpse

Like Shane said, this is a bit different - I'm asking for people's answers and opinions on these two particular recommended daily intakes (as they are quite general and well-known) and whether people here believe in what these scientists/nutritionists say or think it's just there as a guideline for appearances sake and is actually just rubbish.

Also, a new thread can be refreshing for the forum :)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds they'd be on the loo all day by drinking 8 glasses of water a day :lol: I tried it over the summer and found I had to get up in the middle of the night :lol: so I stopped after a while :p

2. glam_chic86

glam_chic86 Head of the Graveyard Shift

They say that if your urine is yellow like lemonade you're well hydrated & you probably don't need more water. However, if your urine is coloured like apple juice then chances are you're not getting enough H20. You can also obtain water from other beverages like milk. Keep in mind that beverages like coffee, tea & pop drain the water out of you with all the caffiene. So if you drink a lot of those 3 beverages make sure to have lots of water, or else. However, in the end the quanity of water you should consume all depends on how active you are. Generally I drink 4-5 cups of water a day.

As for veggies, one serving is the size of your fist. So, if you were to eat a bell pepper the size of your fist that's one serving. They say the brighter the colour the more nutrient it serves so go for purple & red over something drabber. Leafy greens are the best :). However, I LOVE garlic. I can eat five cloves no problem.

As for fruits you should generally eat less servings then vegetables. Apples are awesome due to the fact that they contain natural sugar & fiber. Plus, they keep you feeling fuller. I recommend granny smith even though they are bitter. Grapes are excellent too. You can get water from fruits as well.

I'm no health nut but I hope this was helpful :lol:.

3. meshellb2001

meshellb2001 Lab Technician

Not a big fan of water, I like the flavored kind, I work in a warehouse, so in the summer its a good idea to drink lots of water to keep from dehydrating and passing out, so the summer is about the only time I make myself drink it....I mean I drink it other times, just not as much as in the summer... As for veggies and fruit, I love both of those, I would rather have fresh fruit as to the canned kind, same with veggies, I usually try and buy the frozen or fresh.

4. Bullet_Girl

Bullet_Girl Coroner

hahahaha.....I have a cup from movie world, it's 750ml and I drink like 7 of them a day.....:lol: seriously.

All I ever do whn I'm hungry is munch on vegetables (inbetween meals) and fruit. So, I'd say I'm pretty safe from all points.

And for all of you that are wondering, I don't need to pee like 20 tmes a day....:lol:

5. kazzy

kazzy Head of the Swing Shift

Yeah but Ive found that when I did it, Sure, I had to pee a lot for a little while but do it over a longer period of time, it begins to balance itself so you dont need to pee often. :p

6. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

I find it really difficult to eat 5 portions of fruit and veg a day. I probably manage no more than 3, and that would be a good day! I don't eat too much junk food either, it's just that I don't tend to eat meals in that way.

As for water, unless copious cups of tea count, then I probably drink no more than one glass of water a day....Maybe my new years resolution should be to drink more. ;)

7. Mini_Catherine

Mini_Catherine CSI Level One

One of the girls I work with drinks 2l of water a day. It's in this big bottle, it's like bigger than me. I call her crazy, but it's good for you.

I eat a lot of fruits and veggies, and I'm trying to get in better shape now, because I'm going to Dominican with my family in March, not that I need to loose weight, I'm only 102lbs and I'm tall, so, some people think it's unnatural for me to try and be healthy with my motabilism. But I tell them about the food guide and how I try to be healthy, and they just roll their eyes. Yet they don't eat healthy and think it's the air I'm breathing that makes me a stick. Well, it's my motabolism, but still, eating healthy helps!

p.s: I'm 13, it's not an actualy JOB job, it's a job I do, I'm a secretary, for an education fund. ;P

8. AshleyFirst223

AshleyFirst223 Pathologist

im close on vegtables, but water... eh i lack. i'm a soda person :)

9. CSI_Wearden

CSI_Wearden Witness

Well, I eat about 13 portions of fruit and veg a day :p But no water.. Only Milk, Tea and Coffee :p
    The fruit makes you Hyperish (Sometimes) and i don't know about the water, Although i do have the regular glass.

^_^

10. Springmoon

Springmoon CSI Level Two

Carrying around a water bottle with you all day (and actually drinking it!) helps you get enough water. I have one that holds 48 ounces, equivalent to 6 glasses, so I drink at least that much every day. On days that I go to the gym, I have to drink way more than that to keep hydrated. :(

It's kind of surprisingly easy to eat 5 servings of vegetables a day. A good salad can have at least two, and if you eat a nice big piece of fruit with breakfast and as snacks, you're there. And I think someone pointed out how filling apples can be... eat one just before lunch and you won't eat as much.