Talking Online - Reminds You to Be Careful

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Ducky, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell Head of the Swing Shift

It's a great idea to post this Ducky. It just goes to show how easy it is. The smallest bit of information you give away can be quite dangerous. It's quite scary, I'm just glad there are police officers out there making people aware of how vulnerable they are on the Internet.

2. Roosey

Roosey Captain

Thanks for posting. It is dangerous, but being online isn't always creepy. I just met some people in real-life yesterday I met on the internet. They were all who they told they were. Though, you should still watch out and well, I've been through some creepy experiences with the net too.

3. meshellb2001

meshellb2001 Lab Technician

I haven't really meet anyone creepy, just alot of perv's who like to ask stupid questions, (like bra size, what size jeans do I wear :eek:, thats when I hit the ignore button). My daughter who is 10 keeps asking me "when I can chat on messenger and meet people, I told her when she is alot older, The only people I really talk to are people I already know, I have a friend who met a guy on myspace, they talked for about 6 months and then they finally met and know they are getting married, sometimes it can be good!

4. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

^I also know one couple who met online and got married. They have two kids now.

5. Haley_104

Haley_104 Hit and Run

OK i'm kind of freaked out now. I've been talking to this guy on MSN and i've never met him but he says he lives about an hour away from me. He seems really nice and I really like him. He told me last night that we should hang out some time. But I guess I don't really know who he is.

Lord now i'm scared!

6. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

Thanks DaWacko . Always good to remind people of the dangers, talking online can also be a good thing but you never really know who people are, Haley be careful and take it slowly, there is lots of advice out there to follow for people who are planning to meet up, have a read of it if you are planning to take it any further. :)

7. sandersidle

sandersidle Captain

Great idea to post this! :D I've met a creep online. A few years ago and it scared the shit out of me, so now I'm more careful. ;) :D

8. Roosey

Roosey Captain

Like Els said, Haley, be very careful. I don't know how long you've been talking to him, the best way to know he is he says he is, without meeting him is asking him if he could show himself on a webcam or something. I've been talking to the people I met yesterday for over six months and well, I thought it was safe to meet them. Don't meet that guy until you think it's safe ;)

9. wibble

wibble Corpse

^ Yeah, I agree with Roos. And if you do end up meeting him Haley, make sure you meet him in a public place like a cafe, restaurant or something.

(Sorry if I sound a bit Mumsy).

10. BlueCurl

BlueCurl Pathologist

When I was around that age 13! Some guy from Belgium (I live in Holland) wanted me to come way to badly. He wanted me to come alone. Asked for pictures of me constantly and I never got his and stuff. I liked to chat with that person but I never trusted the guy... He wanted me to come alone (And i damn well knew I wasn;t gonna go alone since my perants cared :lol:) And I was always asking perrmission at that time. so brave! But If I think about it 9 years later today... I really don;t think that guy was 15 like he told me back then...