To Catch a Killer (CSI:)

Zan1781

Coroner
A/N: As with a lot of the things that I write, this story has personal meaning to me. Timmy, one of the main characters, has obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), and his mind is constantly repeating some of the things that he hears. Although I have had OCD for my entire life, I have recently begun to face it (okay, it isn’t all that bad, but still, the constant internal dialogue can be tiring!). This story by no means depicts what everyone with OCD goes through on a daily basis, but some of Timmy’s behaviors are a pretty accurate reflection of how my own mind tends to work. I’ll add in other OCD behaviors as I go along, but… yeah! Also, this story is completely dedicated to my best friend, Ann. She’ll know why (actually, she won’t, but ehn!)! I hope that you all enjoy it!

---------------

Disclaimer: I do not own any part of CSI or its characters. That honor goes to the good folks over at CBS.

Title: One, two, three, four.

Summary: A ten-year old boy with obsessive-compulsive disorder returns home after school one day, only to walk into a crime being committed. Will Sara be able to reach him, in order to figure out what happened?

---------------

One, two, three, four. One, two, three, four. One, two, three, four. One, two, three, four, ten-year old Timmy repeated over and over to himself, as he rode the school bus home from school Friday afternoon. One, two, three, four. One, two, three, four. One, two, three, four. One, two, three four.

“Timmy, are you gonna come over and play with me later?” Benny, his best friend, asked him with a smile. “My mom made chocolate chip cookies this morning, so we can have some for snack, if you want to!” he excitedly added. “Ooh, and you can even sleep over! It’s pizza night, you know!” he eagerly reminded his friend.

One, two, three, four. “Sure, sounds like fun!” Timmy flashed him a big, toothy grin. “I love cookies.” One, two, three, four, we can have some for snack, if you want to! “Is your Playstation working yet?”

“Yeah, my dad got it hooked up last night. I can’t wait to try it out!” the eleven-year old boy nodded his reply. “It’s only a Playstation II, but—” he trailed off.

“But that’s okay, because it’s better than my old Playstation I,” Timmy shrugged. One, two, three, four, we can have some for snack, if you want to! he thought to himself.

“Uh-huh,” Benny agreed, as their bus neared their street. “My mom got me Final Fantasy VIX for my birthday, too, so it’ll be kinda cool.”

“Yeah,” Timmy cheerfully nodded, standing up, and slinging his book bag over his shoulder. One, two, three, four. “But there will be cookies?” he asked as an afterthought. One, two, three, four, we can have some for snack, if you want to!

“Yup!” Benny laughed, stepping out of the seat, and quickly moving toward the front door of the bus.

“But there will be cookies?” Timmy anxiously repeated his question, his obsessive-compulsive disorder forcing his mouth to voice a question that he already knew the answer to. One, two, three, four. Stop! he wanted to scream at himself. Yup, yup, yup, yup!

“Uh-huh!” Benny grinned, stepping off of the bus, and sprinting toward his home. “See you soon!”

“Yeah, see you soon, then!” Timmy yelled back, heading off toward his own home. Unlocking the front door, he immediately threw his bag aside, walking into the kitchen. “Mom? I’m home!” he softly called out. “Mom? Where are you?” One, two, three, four. Where are you? Where are you? Where are you? But there will be cookies? he swallowed.

“What do you mean?” a male voice suddenly interrupted his thoughts, coming from somewhere further inside of the house. “What do you mean, you don’t have it?”

“I mean I don’t have it!” Jessica Stein, Timmy’s mother, worriedly replied. “I would give it to you if I did, but I don’t!”

Timmy froze in place, before slowly backing up in fear. Don’t have what? What don’t you have? Don’t have what? His brain repeated over and over again. One, two, three, four, but there will be cookies?

“I told you what would happen if you didn’t give it to me, didn’t I?” the man roughly asked her.

“But please, I don’t have it!” Jessica nervously told him. “Please, I just need some more time to find it… that’s all that I’m asking for; just a little bit more time.”

Please, just a little bit more time, Timmy nervously licked his lips. One, two, three, four. I don’t have it… I just need more time, but there will be cookies?

“Cedric won’t be pleased with you, you know,” the man mumbled, slightly laughing. “But it’s too late for all of that now; the time has come.”

The time has come, the time has come, Cedric won’t be pleased with you, but there will be cookies? “Mom,” Timmy whispered, backing up even further, and quietly moving toward the front hallway. Gently pulling open the closet door, Timmy stepped inside, shoving his way into the back, and hiding behind several of his father’s old jackets.

“I can get it for you!” Jessica desperately told the man. “Honestly, I can get it for you! I just need a couple of more days. Please, you don’t have to do this!”

“Too late,” the man grumbled. “And if your husband can’t produce what we want, your little boy will be next.”

One, two, three, four. One, two, three, four. One, two, three, four. One, two, three, four, Timmy kept repeating to himself, his eyes wide with fear. Your little boy will be next, your little boy will be next.

“Please don’t hurt my son!” Jessica sobbed, her voice cracking. “Please, I can get it for you; I can get it for you, I promise! Just give me two more days… one more day, or even a couple of more hours.”

“No,” the man bellowed, cocking his gun. “No. You’ve had time, and now you have to pay up. Cedric will be disappointed in you, Mrs. Stein,” he added, as Jessica’s pleas and cries grew even louder. “Goodbye,” he callously laughed, as he pulled the trigger.

One, two, three, four. One, two, three, four. One, two, three, four. One, two, three, four. Your little boy will be next, your little boy will be next, goodbye.

---------------

“The victim is a white female, approximately thirty years of age, named Jessica Stein,” Sofia informed Sara and Grissom. “A neighborhood boy came over to find out why Mrs. Stein’s son, Timmy, hadn’t come over to play yet. He found the door ajar, looked inside, and saw blood on the floor. He ran back to his house, told his mother, who then called 911.”

“The house has been cleared, I presume?” Grissom asked, raising an eyebrow at Sofia.

The detective simply nodded, resting one of her hands on her hip.

“So where is Timmy now?” Sara inquired, removing her sunglasses, and setting them down on top of her head. “Is he with the paramedics?”

“Actually, we have yet to find him,” Sofia admitted. “Officers looked everywhere for him, but as of right now, he hasn’t turned up.”

“Well that’s strange,” Grissom commented, turning around to glance at the neighborhood. “And the friend is convinced that Timmy went home after school?”

“He said that they got off of the bus together, and made plans to play,” Sofia replied, rubbing the back of her neck. “So yes, he’s fairly certain that Timmy came home.”

Slipping on a pair of gloves, Grissom clutched his kit tightly in his right hand, slowly walking into the house. “Where was the body found?” he questioned the detective.

“In the home office,” Sofia immediately told him. “Officers found her prone body in front of the desk.”

“Any outward signs of sexual assault?” Sara finally spoke up, following her two colleagues through the house.

“Actually, no,” Sofia shook her head. “We obviously won’t know for sure until Doc Robbins does the autopsy, but her clothes appear to be in place, and unmoved. The room is a mess, as you’ll see, though,” she continued, leading the way into the office.

“I’ll say,” Sara sighed, as she got her first glimpse of the room. Littered with broken glass, strewn books and papers, and overturned shelves and drawers, the office looked as if it had been ransacked by a group of assailants.

“Someone was certainly after something,” Grissom calmly concluded.

“But what?” Sara asked, pursing her lips.

“That, Sara, would be the million dollar question.”

Before Sara had the opportunity to reply, however, Sofia turned toward the study’s door, narrowing her eyes. “Do you two hear something?” she softly inquired.

Grissom cocked his head to the side, listening for anything out of the ordinary. “You said that you cleared the place, right?”

“We did,” Sofia confirmed, pulling her gun out of her holster, and slowly moving toward the door. “But I hear something.”

“Running water. It’s running water,” Sara whispered, pulling out her own gun, and following closely behind Sofia.

“It sounds like it’s coming from upstairs,” Sofia pointed out, quietly walking into the hallway, and glancing up the stairs. With her gun held out in front of her, the detective cautiously climbed the stairs, her eyes never ceasing to look for any signs of possible danger.

Clutching her own gun tightly in her hands, Sara hesitantly followed Sofia up the stairs, a little bit curious as to why there would be running water in a house that had already been cleared by the police.
Grissom, trailing behind Sara, had a perplexed look on his face. “Where’s the bathroom?” he inquired of Sofia.

“Down the hallway,” Sofia whispered back.

“It’s definitely coming from in there,” Sara mouthed, slipping to one side of the bathroom door, with Grissom standing just beside her.

Stopping on the other side of the door, Sofia made eye contact with her colleagues, before reaching a tentative hand out to the doorknob, and flinging the door wide open. “Freeze, Las Vegas Police!” she yelled out, the moment that she saw a figure leaning against the sink.

Timmy, sobbing, and standing on a stool in front of the sink, was busy scrubbing his hands under the steaming hot water. One, two, three, four. One, two, three, four. One, two, three, four. One, two, three, four. Your little boy will be next, goodbye, there will be cookies?

“Son,” Sofia quietly cleared her throat, slowly pointing her gun down at the ground. “Son, we need you to stop. We’re with the police.”

“I can’t,” Timmy whispered back, adamantly shaking his head from side to side. “I’m dirty. I’m so dirty, I’m dirty, I’m dirty,” he quietly repeated over and over again to himself, as if he were the only person in the room. “I’m so dirty, dirty, dirty.” And he was. Timmy’s clothes were covered in blood. One, two, three, four. One, two, three, four. One, two, three, four. One, two, three, four. Goodbye.

---------------

TO BE CONTINUED

very interesting start... I've never known anyone with OCD so I can only imagine how hard it is to deal with.

Looking forward to the next bit.

Tan :cool:

Thanks, MacsGirlMel! I've already started working on the next chapter, so who knows... maybe I'll have it done soon!

And Tan, I'm glad that you enjoyed the beginning. OCD can be... unique! It's different for everyone, but we'll see what happens with Timmy!

Zan1781, I shall bow down and worship. *does so*

Nah, just kidding but that was marvellous!

Please do continue!

Aww, thank you, SA Kate! I HAD to start writng this story, because I couldn't get the thought out of my mind. I just hope that it continues to write itself, because, uh... yup! But I'm really glad that you liked it!

A/N: First of all, I’d really like to thank everyone who took the time to read and/or review the first chapter of To Catch a Killer. Your feedback is always appreciated, and I’m glad that you enjoyed what you read! Second, I toyed with the idea of making Timmy’s behaviors less… obvious in this chapter, but frankly, this is what my head is like. All of his interruptions might be annoying to read at times, but this is how I am hearing him speak, and how I am seeing him behave. I hope you enjoy this chapter!

---------------

Disclaimer: I do not own any part of CSI or its characters. That honor goes to the good folks over at CBS. Although most of the information about OCD talked about in this chapter comes from prior knowledge on my part, I did consult Answer. Com, as well.

Summary: A ten-year old boy with obsessive-compulsive disorder returns home after school one day, only to walk into a crime being committed. Will Sara be able to reach him, in order to figure out what happened?

---------------

The Stein Residence

“What’s he doing?” Sofia quietly asked Grissom, while still staring at Timmy.

“He appears to be compulsively washing his hands,” Grissom simply replied.

“From trauma?” Sofia blinked.

“The time has come,” Timmy whispered to himself, furtively trying to scrub his hands clean. “And I’m so dirty. So very, very, dirty.”

“Grissom,” Sara spoke up, taking a hesitant step into the bathroom. “If we don’t stop him, he could potentially wash away whatever evidence is on his hands.”

“I understand that,” Grissom calmly replied, cocking his head to the side in order to study Timmy’s actions.

“Timmy?” Sara softly inquired, ignoring Grissom, and taking another step closer to the ten-year old boy. “We need you to stop washing your hands right now, okay? We need to find out if you’re hurt or not.”

We need to find out if you’re hurt or not, we need to find out if you’re hurt or not. “I’m not hurt,” Timmy matter-of-factly stated, still desperately scrubbing his hands. One, two, three, four. “Why do you think that I’m hurt?” he asked her. “I’m not hurt. No, I’m not hurt.” One, two, three four. One, two, three, four. One, two, three, four. One, two, three, four.

Sara glanced at Grissom and Sofia, trying not to frown. “You have blood on your shirt,” she quietly pointed out to him.

Why do you think that I’m hurt? Why do you think that I’m hurt? Timmy asked himself, feeling uncomfortable when his brain would not stop repeating that particular thought. “It’s from my mother,” he mumbled. “But my hands are dirty, so I’m washing them.”

“Well, can you stop washing them?” Sara asked, her eyebrow furrowing. “They’re starting to crack and bleed.”

“I know that, but I can’t stop,” Timmy anxiously told her. “They’re dirty, and I need to clean them.” One, two, three, four. We need to find out if you’re hurt or not! Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye, goodbye. “Very, very, very, very, dirty.”

What’s wrong with this kid? Sofia wanted to ask Grissom, as she stared at her former supervisor.

“Timmy,” Grissom cleared his throat. “Do you know if you have obsessive-compulsive disorder?” he quietly asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Uh-huh,” Timmy swallowed, still scrubbing his hands, until they were cracked and bleeding. “I do. Uh-huh.” One, two, three, four. One, two, three, four. Will there be cookies? “But I’m not hurt, okay?” he added, finally reaching over, and turning off the water. One, two, three, four. “Just dirty,” he glanced down at his hands, wondering if he should try washing them again. No matter how hard Timmy tried, he could not seem to shake the feeling that he was still dirty, and that he needed to wash himself.

Grissom looked over at Sara, frowning. “We need to take him to the hospital to be checked out, and then someone will need to track down his father, so that we can question Timmy with an advocate present.”

Sara slowly nodded, kneeling down in front of the little boy. “My name is Sara,” she quietly informed him. “And I’m going to take you somewhere safe, okay?” she asked him, trying to smile.

“Okay, but there will be cookies there?” he inquired, a hint of sadness in his eyes. One, two, three, four. Goodbye. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to say that out loud,” he mumbled. “But… there will be cookies there?” he repeated, his frown only deepening. Why can’t I stop asking that? Benny has the cookies, not these people. They don’t have the cookies!

“Uh, yeah, sure, there will be cookies there,” Sara tried to assure him.

“There will be? Are you sure?” Timmy awkwardly asked again, swallowing, as he stared at the ground.

“Positive,” Sara smiled, holding out her hand to him. “But let’s get you checked out, first.”

“Okay, but I don’t want to touch your hand,” Timmy softly said, as he turned toward the door. “My hand is dirty, and I don’t want to make your hand dirty, too.” So very, very, very, very dirty.

“That’s fine,” Sara whispered, standing up, and walking out of the bathroom behind Timmy. “I’m going to go with you to the hospital, though,” she added.

“Okay, but will there be cookies there…?”

---------------

The Lab

“So where’s Sar now?” Nick asked, leaning against the break room table. The entire team had spent hours at the Stein residence, and now they were back at the lab, preparing to process the evidence that they had gathered.

“She’s still at the hospital with Timmy,” Grissom replied, taking a seat at the table. “Someone needs to question him. In the meantime, we have our work cut out for us, too.”

Catherine nodded, getting herself a mug of coffee, and sitting down across from her supervisor. “But before we do updates, I heard a few of the officers talking about the kid,” she commented. “They said that he was repeating the same phrases over and over again.”

Grissom simply nodded, rubbing his beard. “He has obsessive-compulsive disorder,” he informed everyone, making eye contact with each of his CSIs. “And from what I can tell, it’s a fairly severe case.”

Blinking, Warrick looked around the table. “I’ve actually never met anyone with OCD before,” he mused. “But damn, that stuff can be tricky.”

“Wait a minute,” Judy, the receptionist, cleared her throat. “I don’t mean to interrupt all of you,” she quietly said, pouring herself a mug of coffee. “But I’ve heard people talking about this kid, and I don’t understand. What’s OCD?”

Nick looked up at Judy, flashing her a small smile. “OCD falls under the category of an anxiety disorder. It’s made up of two separate things, just like it sounds: obsessions and compulsions.”

“Yeah, man,” Warrick spoke up. “Have you ever worried about whether or not your house is locked, or whether or not you turned off your stove after making dinner?”

“Of course,” Judy frowned, taking a seat at the table. “Everyone does that, though.”

“True,” Warrick conceded. “And keep in mind that this is stereotyping, but some people with OCD obsess about those things. They worry that they left the door unlocked, and that someone will come in and kill them and their families. They worry that they left the stove on, and that their house will burn down. Those thoughts will eat away at them all day, or all night, until they can’t stand it anymore. The obsessive thoughts lead to the compulsions, which they do in order to help themselves feel better.”

“Right,” Nick chimed in. “The compulsions are based on the obsessive thoughts. They’ll get up in the middle of the night—even if they are almost positive that the doors are locked and that the stove is off—just to check everything. But not just once, mind you. Sometimes, they will click the lock repeatedly, or move the stove switch on and off several times, just to make sure that the door is really locked, or that the stove is really off.”

“That’s… interesting,” Judy nodded, trying to process what Nick and Warrick were telling her.

“My friend actually has OCD,” Greg spoke up, raising an eyebrow. “She said that she does the thing with the locks and with the stove. But she said that sometimes, she’ll go back to bed after checking everything, only to wake up again in the middle of the night, panicking that the doors are unlocked, or that the stove is still on. She’ll get up, check and recheck everything, eventually going back to bed… only to repeat the process again a few hours later.”

“Even after having checked everything multiple times?” Judy asked.

“Uh-huh,” Greg nodded. “She’s a smart woman, too. She’s getting her master’s degree in social work, so she knows all about this stuff. Most people with OCD know that their behaviors are irrational… they just can’t stop the compulsions,” he shrugged.

“So why is this kid repeating phrases, then?” Judy wanted to know. “I mean, if OCD relates to tangible things, then what’s going on with him?”

“It’s not just tangible things, though. That’s the problem with OCD,” Catherine replied, taking a sip of her coffee. Frowning for a moment, she peered into her mug. “This stuff is disgusting,” she mumbled, before sighing. “In any case, people with OCD also like to count things, like the tiles in the ceiling, signs that they pass on the road, how many times someone says a particular phrase—”

“Except,” Greg interrupted Catherine. “They don’t stop thinking about what they’re counting. They’ll repeat the count over and over again in their heads, to the exclusion of all else.”

Grissom cleared his throat, pursing his lips. “OCD may also include a need for symmetry, keeping things in order, being organized, touching things, repeating things, saving things, aggressive thoughts, a fear of dirt or disease, having a severe concern for the safety of others, and ruminating over questions that really can’t be answered. Although many people in the world might do some of these things,” Grissom continued, staring down at the table for a moment. “Individuals with OCD do these things to the exclusion of all else, as Greg just said. They think about the activities and questions non-stop, unable to focus on daily conversations, jobs, movies, or whatever else they might have going on.”

“So this kid is repeating phrases that he heard at the crime scene?” Judy asked, just trying to clarify what she was hearing.

“Quite possibly, yes,” Grissom replied. “That, and other things that he heard throughout the day.”

“So he’s a human tape recorder,” Judy mused. “Fascinating.”

“And possibly helpful,” Greg smiled.

---------------

Desert Palms Hospital

“Can I wash my hands again?” Timmy quietly inquired, peering up at Sara. “My hands are dirty,” he informed her. “So very, very, very, very, dirty.” One, two, three, four. One, two, three, four. One, two, three, four. One, two, three, four, goodbye. “If I could just wash them, I really think that everything would be okay,” he whispered.

“I’m sorry, Timmy,” Sara replied, slowly shaking her head from side to side, as she sat down in the chair beside his hospital bed. “But I need to check your hands and clothes for evidence, first, and then you can wash them again, if you’d like.”

“Really?” Timmy hopefully asked, his eyes widening. “I can wash them after you check me out?” Really, really, really, really? One, two, three, four. Really, really, really, really? One, two, three, four.

“Really,” Sara smiled at him, as she reached her hand out toward his. “But can I take a look now, please?”

Timmy doubtfully stared down at Sara’s hand, swallowing. “Okay,” he quietly acquiesced, trying to hold back his fear and disgust. “But then I get to wash my hands, right?” he asked.

“Definitely,” Sara confirmed.

“You sure?” Timmy again asked, blinking back his tears.

“Positive,” Sara flashed him another smile.

“So, after you check me out, I can… wash my hands?” the little boy sniffled, the fact that he couldn’t stop asking the same question over and over again making him want to start crying.

“Of course,” Sara repeated, gently grabbing a couple of swabs from her kit, and searching Timmy’s arms for any signs of blood.

“I’m sorry,” Timmy hesitated. “But are you sure that I can wash my hands? I don’t mean to ask over and over again, and I don’t mean to be annoying,” he began to sob in frustration. “But can I?” One, two, three, four. One, two, three, four. One, two, three, four.

Sara blinked, studying Timmy’s expression. She was by no means an expert on OCD, but she knew enough about the disorder to understand the war that was raging inside of the little boy’s head—made much worse by the fact that he had just undergone something extremely stressful and upsetting. “Don’t worry about it, honey,” she softly told him. “You’re not being annoying, and you can ask me whatever you want, as many different times as you want to ask it. And yes, you can wash your hands. Just give me one more minute, though,” she smiled at him.

“Okay,” Timmy sobbed, staring down at the ground. “But can I wash my hands? And can we have cookies? Are there cookies here? I like cookies,” he mumbled. “Are there any here?”

“Yes, you can wash your hands,” Sara replied, holding a q-tip up to Timmy’s mouth so that she could get a sample of his DNA. “And I like cookies, too, so sure, we’ll find some,” she added. “Now I just need you to open up your mouth for one second. This won’t hurt. And after that, I’ll give you some clothes to change into, because I’ll need to take yours back to he lab.”

“Okay,” Timmy frowned, opening up his mouth for Sara. “But then I can wash my hands? And we can eat cookies?” he asked, once she had gotten her sample.

“Yup. Here are some clothes for you,” Sara quietly said. “Go ahead and wash, and change, and then we’ll get some cookies.”

“Four?” Timmy persisted.

“Four what?” Sara asked in puzzlement.

“Can we get four cookies? I like the number four,” he mumbled. “Four for me, and four for you.”

“I don’t know if I can eat four cookies, though,” Sara chuckled. “But you can have four cookies, sure.”

Timmy tried to hide his anxious expression from Sara, once again staring down at the floor. “You don’t have to eat them,” he pointed out. “But I think that you should get four cookies. Four is a good number.”

Sara furrowed an eyebrow, shrugging. “Sure, four it is. Now go ahead and wash up.”

“Okay,” Timmy sighed in relief, already moving toward the bathroom. Your little boy will be next, your little boy will be next, your little boy will be next, your little boy will be next, he thought to himself turning on the hot water faucet. “Cedric will be disappointed in you, goodbye."

---------------

TO BE CONTINUED

what a great fic i definitely think you should go on. I couldn't imagine how long it took you to write that chapter. what great work can't wait for more!

MacsGirlMel and CSI Trainee, I'm so glad that you liked the chapter! I am currently working on a 20 page paper for class, but... it's due on Tuesday, so I'll start writing the next chapter after that!

Again, I'm really glad that you liked it!

That is so facinating. It is a real insight into how it must be to live with OCD. I have never realised what it meant from the inside. Please carry on!

Aww, thanks again :). I have total writer's block with this story right now, so... I'm just going to wait for Timmy to start talking to me again. It might be a couple of days, it might be a week, it might be a month... I dunno, but I'm not going to push it!

A/N: I really apologize for not updating this story sooner. I recently started taking meds for my OCD and anxiety, and I guess I must have been pouring a lot of my anxiety into my writing, because now I’m having a hard time writing (I’m just too calm!). In any event, I’ll try to keep updating on a more frequent basis, but I’m not guaranteeing anything. This story still means a lot to me, and I don’t want to ruin it, by forcing myself to write when the words just aren’t there!

---------------

Disclaimer: I do not own any part of CSI or its characters. That honor goes to the good folks over at CBS.

---------------

Desert Palms Hospital

“So can I ask you some questions, Timmy?” Sara asked, sitting down across from him at the cafeteria table.

“Sure,” Timmy shrugged, nibbling on the very edge of one of his cookies. One, two, three, four. One, two, three, four. One, two, three, four. One, two, three—

“How was school today?” she softly inquired, looking over at the little boy.

Four. “It was okay,” Timmy mumbled, shoving another little piece of his cookie into his mouth. One, two, three, four. Cedric will be disappointed in you, you know. Your little boy will be next. Cedric won’t be pleased with you, you know. Your little boy will be next.

“What did you do?” Sara persisted, picking up one of her four cookies, and taking a small bite out of it. She knew that her questions really did not have a point, but she wanted to try to make Timmy feel more at ease around her.

One, two, three, four. One, two, three, four. “I colored in a map of the United States today… in red, and blue, and yellow, and green.” One, two, three, four. One, two, three, four, but there will be cookies? In red, and blue, and yellow, and green. “Those are some of my favorite colors,” he added.

“Mine, too,” Sara smiled. “Especially yellow; I love yellow.”

“Me, too,” Timmy flashed Sara a small smile, putting down his uneaten cookie, and picking up a brand new one to munch on. “Did you know that Oklahoma looks like a frying pan?” he asked her. “It has a handle and everything!”

“Yeah, that’s kind of cool,” Sara grinned. “I always wondered why they made the border like they made it.”

“Uh-huh,” Timmy frowned, beginning to nibble around the edge of his third chocolate chip cookie.

“So,” Sara hesitated for a moment, thinking about how she wanted to phrase her next question. “Timmy, what happened when you got home from school today?”

Timmy shrugged, staring down at his mostly uneaten cookie. One, two, three, four. One, two, three, four. One, two, three, four. One, two, three, four. Cedric won’t be pleased with you, goodbye.

“I mean, you got off of the bus with your neighbor, right? And then what did you do?”

“I didn’t do anything,” Timmy quietly said. One, two, three, four. Four, four, four, four, his brain seemed to get stuck on that particular number.

“Did you walk directly home?” Sara tried again, studying Timmy’s expression. She didn’t want to push him, but she needed to know what he saw—or did not see.

“Uh-huh,” Timmy nervously swallowed, setting the cookie down, only to pick up the fourth one. Taking a huge bite of the desert, he chewed slowly, stalling for more time. “So yellow is really your favorite color?” Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye, goodbye.

“It sure is,” Sara smiled. “It reminds me of my hometown. I’m from California, and we get a lot of sun there,” she cheerfully told him. “So… what reminds you of home?”

“You do,” Timmy simply replied.

Sara raised an eyebrow, not exactly sure how to take that comment. “How do I remind you of home?”

“My mother is just as nice as you are. Or was just as nice as you are,” he sniffled, setting his half-eaten cookie down next to his three other half-eaten cookies. “Oklahoma looks like a frying pan! And my favorite color is yellow! And Cedric will be disappointed in you!” he yelled out, before bursting into tears.

---------------

The Lab

“What have you found out, Greg?” Grissom asked, spotting the younger CSI in the doorway of his office.

Greg smiled, taking a step forward. “Did you know that Axl Rose had OCD?” he asked with a smirk.

“I did indeed,” Grissom replied, steepling his fingers in front of his face. “And so did Beethoven, and the British poet Samuel Johnson.”

“Are you boys talking about famous people who have OCD?” Catherine asked, walking into Grissom’s office, her hands on her hips. “Because if you are, don’t forget Ned Beatty and Francis Ford Coppola.”

Sipping from a mug of coffee, Nick yawned, leaning against the door jamb. “Well then don’t forget about Jose Conseco, man,” he offered.

“Or Winston Churchill, composer Cole Porter, or financier J.P. Morgan,” Grissom continued with his list.

“Or Carrie Fisher, Howie Mandel, and possibly even Einstein,” Warrick spoke up, stepping past Nick, and into his supervisor’s office. “But Grissom, in terms of the case, I think I’m on to something,” he added, swaggering toward the desk, and tossing a file down on top of the already paper-cluttered surface.

“Oh?” Grissom asked, raising an eyebrow, and reaching for the file.

Warrick nodded, folding his arms across his chest. “I ran the prints from the house, and I came up with Jessica Stein, obviously. But,” he excitedly continued, “I also found prints for a Jason Marley.”

“Who’s Jason Marley?” Nick curiously inquired, taking another sip from his coffee.

“Murderer and bank robber extraordinaire,” Sofia answered for Warrick, stepping into Grissom’s office. “And that’s not all,” she added, triumphantly waving her own file in the air. “He has a wife, and her name is Jessica.”

“Damn, so Jessica Stein is actually…Jessica Marley?” Nick stated the obvious.

“Well ain’t that a bitch,” Warrick mumbled in surprise.

“Yes indeed,” Greg confirmed. “Yes indeed.”

---------------

Desert Palms Hospital

Sara ignored the confused stares from those around her and Timmy, choosing to keep her eyes focused on the terrified child sitting just in front of her. “It’s okay, Timmy,” she whispered, reaching a hand across the table the hopes of providing some sort of comfort for him.

“Don’t touch me!” Timmy shrieked in agitation, instantly pulling his own hand away from Sara’s reach. “I’m dirty! So very, very, very dirty! Yellow is my favorite color! One, two, three, four! Yellow is my favorite color! One, two, three, four! Cedric, Cedric, Cedric, Cedric!” he continued to yell at the top of his lungs, pushing himself away from the table, and instantly turning around. “I’m so very, very, very dirty! Yellow is my favorite color!” Timmy sobbed, trying to move as quickly as possible through the now deadly silent hospital cafeteria.

“Timmy!” Sara sprang to her feet, sprinting around the table, and making a bee-line for the little boy. “Timmy, its okay!” she tried to repeat over and over again.

“Your little boy will be next! One, two, three, four! Your little boy will be next! One, two, three, four! Your little boy will be next! One, two, three, four! Cedric will be very disappointed in you!” Timmy continued to cry, trying to blindly run away from his fear.

“Shh,” Sara soothingly whispered, finally catching up to Timmy, and wrapping her arms around his shaky and still agitated body. “Shh,” she repeated, as she gently fell to the floor, pulling him down with her. “Shh, Timmy. No one is going to hurt you. Cedric won’t hurt you... I promise. You’re safe now, shhh,” she cooed to him, holding him as tightly as she dared.

“But Cedric—” Timmy trailed off.

“Will never, ever, hurt you,” Sara finished his sentence for him, gently rubbing his arm with her thumb.

“But yellow is my favorite color!”

“Mine, too,” Sara soothingly agreed, slowly moving her hand up to Timmy’s face, and tenderly brushing away his tears.

“One, two, three, four!”

“One, two, three, four,” Sara whispered, gently running her fingers through his hair, in the hopes of calming him down.

“Your little boy will be next,” Timmy hiccupped, finally turning around so that he could bury his face against Sara’s chest.”

“Not this time,” Sara quietly replied. “Definitely not this time.”

“But Cedric will be disappointed in you!” Timmy continued.

Sara pulled Timmy more tightly against her body, slowly rocking him back and forth.

“But you’ll be safe, and that’s all that matters.”

“Nuh-uh,” Timmy swallowed, the tears still streaming down his flushed cheeks. “Nuh-uh, because Cedric will want the money.”

“What money?” Sara quickly, perhaps too quickly, asked.

“One, two, three, four. One, two, three, four. One, two, three, four,” Timmy sobbed. “From the bank. Goodbye!”

---------------

TO BE CONTINUED

Back