Around the weird:news of the bizarre

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Desertwind, Dec 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wibble

wibble Corpse

^ Urgh, that's terrible! How can people be so cruel? :mad: :(

2. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

SOME WORKERS ARE JUST SICK OF THEIR JOBS

Yu don't have to be ill to call in sick at work, just sick of your job!!According to a survey by careerbuilder.com 32% of American workers admit using fake sick excuses in the past year!!and 10 % have called in 3 times with a bogus illiness. But while anyone can say they have a cold, there are some people who go the extra mile with their excuses, such as the man who said his mother-in-law was poisoning him. Or the woman who couldn't come to work because a buffalo had escaped from a game preserve and kep chargin her everytime she tried to get in her car :eek:. Another man claimed he couldn't come to work because of "hiccups" and one woman said her dog ate her bus pass :D And finally the guy who said a skunk had broken into his house and sprayed all his clothes.. :mad:yeah right

The Buzz..Ken White.. LVRJ

3. wibble

wibble Corpse

I've never had a sick day since I started my first job :D But that article has some good excuses if I ever need them ;) I especially like "the dog ate my bus pass" :lol:

4. Daquien

Daquien Coroner

Finnish pm broke up with his gf by sms.

HELSINKI (Reuters) - Prime Minister Matti Vanhanen, dubbed Finland's sexiest man, broke up by text message with the girlfriend he had met on the Internet, she said in a magazine interview.
    "Matti dumped me in a text message, where he said 'that's it'," Susan Kuronen told the magazine Me Naiset (Us Women) in an interview published on Friday.
    Her relationship with Vanhanen, a divorced 51-year-old father of two, ended a few weeks ago, but continues to make headlines as Susan, 36, pours her heart out in local media.
    Vanhanen, who declines to comment on the relationship, was cited as Finland's sexiest man by French President Jacques Chirac earlier this year, when Finnish tabloids were running daily front-page details of the romance.
    Finland is home to mobile phone giant Nokia and its citizens are among the most avid users of the Internet.

5. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Old news :p

Shit that lady was nothing more than wanted to be PM's wife :|
    Just wanted to get to media.Grrrr. Now past two weeks she's been in ever tabloid paper telling "I'm leaving media"

Media treated PM so badly when he divorced that he just simply wanted to keep the private life private and that bitch goes and tells one magazine about their relationship.
    And leaving that beyatch in such a cold way was right for her!

*kicks Susan* Dumping you was right thing :|

*huggles their PM* He's great.

:D
    So yeah, I guess this proves we are not really good at being social and talking about things :p

6. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

Military Radio Signal Jams Garage Doors
    Dec 2, 5:03 PM (ET)
    By ROBERT WELLER

DENVER (AP) - What do remote-control garage door openers have to do with national security? A secretive Air Force facility in Colorado Springs tested a radio frequency this past week that it would use to communicate with first responders in the event of a homeland security threat. But the frequency also controls an estimated 50 million garage door openers, and hundreds of residents in the area found that theirs had suddenly stopped working.

"It would have been nice not to have to get out of the car and open the door manually," said Dewey Rinehard, pointing out that the outage happened during the first cold snap of the year, with lows in the teens.

Capt. Tracy Giles of the 21st Space Wing said Air Force officials were trying to figure out how to resolve the problem of their signal overpowering garage door remotes.

"They have turned it off to be good neighbors," he said.

The signals were coming from Cheyenne Mountain Air Station, home to the North American Aerospace Defense Command, a joint U.S. and Canadian operation set up during the Cold War to monitor Soviet missile and bomber threats.

Technically, the Air Force has the right to the frequency, which it began using nearly three years ago at some bases. Signals have previously interfered with garage doors near bases in Florida, Maryland and Pennsylvania.

In general, effects from the transmissions would be felt only within 10 miles, but the Colorado Springs signal is beamed from atop 6,184-foot Cheyenne Mountain, which likely extends the range.

Holly Strack, who lives near the entrance to the facility, said friends in the neighborhood all had the same problem.

"I never thought my garage door was a threat to national security," she said.

David McGuire, whose Overhead Door Co. received more than 400 calls for help, said the Air Force may be able to slightly adjust the transmission frequency to solve the problem. If not, it will cost homeowners about $250 to have new units installed.

"The military has the right to use that frequency. It is a sign of the times," he said.

7. Dynamo1

Hotel business as usual...

Man Fined for Tossing Pig at Hotel
    Dec 6, 4:21 PM (ET)

WEST POINT, Miss. (AP) - When pigs fly, indeed. Kevin Pugh, 20, of Cedar Bluff, has been fined $279 for tossing a pig over the counter at the Holiday Inn Express in West Point on Nov. 12. Pugh pleaded guilty Tuesday in city court to a charge of disturbing the peace.

West Point Police Lt. Danny McCaskill has said Pugh didn't know the employees of the hotel. There was no evidence intoxication was a factor.

No one was hurt, including the pig, officers said.

"This was the silliest thing I've ever seen," McCaskill said. "Almost every officer we had was involved because the incidents kept happening at different hours."

McCaskill said Pugh was accused of walking into the hotel and throwing the 60-pound pig over the counter.

"He said it was a prank," McCaskill said. "It must be some redneck thing, because I haven't ever heard of anything like it."

McCaskill said there have been four late-night incidents involving animal-tossing at West Point businesses. Twice a pig was tossed and two of the incidents involved possums.

All four of the disturbances took place between 2 a.m. and 4 a.m., McCaskill said.

Pugh is accused in a second animal-throwing incident at a Hardee's restaurant. He has pleaded innocent to disturbing the peace in that case and will appear in city court on Dec. 19.

-=-=-=-=-

Thief Goes Fishing for Bank Deposits
    Dec 6, 4:22 PM (ET)

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. (AP) - A thief used a hook and line not to snag fish, but to remove bags of cash from a bank's night deposit box, police said.

Police would not say how much money they believe was taken, but think the thief made off with 11 deposit bags, Bloomington police Sgt. David Drake said.

An employee of the Fifth Third Bank branch called police Monday morning after noticing that there were far fewer deposit bags than usual, Drake said.

Authorities found the deposit box had been damaged, with one of the metal security pieces sheared off.

"It would've taken a lot of force to take that off," Drake said.

Next to the piece of broken metal, police found a dowel rod with fishing line and a hook.

Drake said authorities believe whoever broke into the deposit box dangled the hook and line into the box and fished out the deposit bags, one by one.

The bank did not have security cameras aimed toward the deposit box, police said.

-=-=-=-=-

Man Accused of Driving Naked in Conn.
    Dec 6, 4:21 PM (ET)

SOUTHBURY, Conn. (AP) - A Sherman man has been arrested for indecent exposure for driving in the nude. Scott Kravics, 41, was accused Monday of pulling up alongside a woman driving a truck on Interstate 84 and exposing himself. The trucker called 911 on her cell phone.

Police said the trucker first saw Kravics allegedly exposing himself in Danbury, then followed him through Newtown, Southbury and Middlebury before he got on Route 8 in Waterbury.

Kravics was stopped by State police Master Sgt. David Coyle who was off-duty.

Police said that when Kravics saw Coyle's cruiser in his rear-view mirror, he quickly put on a pair of sweat pants and a T-shirt.

Police have charged Kravics with indecent exposure and breach of peace.

-=-=-=-=-

Flatulence Forces Plane to Land
    Dec 6, 4:12 PM (ET)

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - An American Airlines flight was forced to make an emergency landing Monday morning after a passenger lit a match to disguise the scent of flatulence, authorities said.

The Dallas-bound flight was diverted to Nashville after several passengers reported smelling burning sulfur from the matches, said Lynne Lowrance, spokeswoman for the Nashville International Airport Authority. All 99 passengers and five crew members were taken off and screened while the plane was searched and luggage was screened.

The FBI questioned a passenger who admitted she struck the matches in an attempt to conceal a "body odor," Lowrance said. She had an unspecified medical condition, authorities said.

"It's humorous in a way but you feel sorry for the individual, as well," she said. "It's unusual that someone would go to those measures to cover it up."

The flight took off again, but the woman was not allowed back on the plane. The woman, who was not identified, was not charged in the incident.

8. wibble

wibble Corpse

^ Ahh, damn, I was going to post that story about the flatulance and the matches forcing a plane to land, but you beat me to it Dynamo :p Couldn't believe it when I first heard about it :lol:

9. Desertwind

I swear Dynamo those stories are really bizzare.. ~~~people~~~ :eek:

VILLAGERS KILL CROCODILE..FIND HUMAN REMAINS EWWWW :(

Jakarta, Indonesia
    Villagers found two human hands..a leg..and a pair of shorts inside a half-ton crocodile they trapped and killed in eastern Indonesia. At least ficve people have gone missing in recent months in the same area of East Nusa Tenggara, province and are thought to have been eaten by a crocodile or crocodiles, said local conservationist Lorens Mabatu. The 16-foot-long reptile was captured Monday is suspected of having eaten a 59-year old fisherman, who was seen a week ago near the river, 750 miles west of the capital Jakarta. Thousands of crocodiles inhabit the archipelago of 17,000 islands. Man-eater are rare.. I say "get out of Dodge" or wherever there are crocdiles :mad:

The Associated Press via LVRJ

10. allmaple

allmaple Judge

crazy co-evolution

the tube-lipped nectar bat has a 9cm long tongue that retracts into the animals chest cavity when it is not feeding. the tongue is 150% longer than the entire body of the bat :eek: the bat is a sole pollinator of funnel shaped flower in ecudador. as the flowers got deeper, bats with longer tongues were the only ones able to pollinate the flowers and get food. over many generations the flowers got deeper and the tongues got longer, and now this is the bat we have today!

11. Dynamo1

Colorado Man Gets Stuck in His Chimney
    Dec 9, 6:22 AM (ET)

WESTMINSTER, Colo. (AP) - Santa must have a trick. A man who was locked out of his house in this Denver suburb tried to get in by sliding down the chimney early Friday, but he got stuck and had to be rescued, authorities said.

The man, whose name wasn't released, fell about 12 feet down the shaft. Authorities said he was hurt but did not elaborate on the nature and extent of his injuries.

He convinced authorities it was his home, and there was no evidence he was breaking in, city spokeswoman Jennifer Galli said. Police were present but made no arrests.

Firefighters rescued the man by lowering a ladder into the chimney and lifting him to safety, Galli said.

Emergency workers were summoned at about 3:20 a.m., but it wasn't clear who called them.

12. Desertwind

:D :D :D another fool~~~~~ :D :D :D

ARCHAEOLOGISTS FIND MUMMY OF DOCTOR

Cairo, Egypt..Archaeoligists have discovered the mummified remains of a doctor they think lived more than 4,000 years ago and was buried with metal surgical tools!! The mummy was discovered in Saqqara, 12 miles south of Cairo, while archaeologits were cleaning a nearby site, Egypt's official Middle East News Agency quoted Zahi Hawass, chief of the Supreme Council of Antiquities, as saying. Hawass said the doctor named Qar (sounds like a Star Wars character} and he lived under the 6th dynasty from about 2350 B.C. to 2180 B.C. Bronze surgical instruments, earthenware containers bearing the doctors name, a round limestone table and 22 bronze statues of gods were discovered, Hawass said

The Associated Press. via LVRJ

13. Desertwind

THE "PURRFECT PLOT"..WRITING ABOUT CATS, COULD LEAD TO RICHES

People aren't the only good characters for novels...cats are now "purrfect" protagonists, too. That's the word from fran Shaw, president of the Cat Writers Association, a group of professional authors who write about furry felines in fiction and non-fiction books. According to Shaw, some of the nonfiction books by cat writers fall into suspense and mystery genres with some of the plots making the cats integral characters. Says Shaw "Cat mysteries usually feature a cat character as the detective's sidekick. Other times, the mysteries are written from the perspective of the cat itself, so they are the star of the book. Shaw adds that no romance genre cat novels have been made yet, but she wouldn't rule it out, because in her words, "cat people are creative"

The Buzz. Ken White..LVRJ

14. geekloverulesGSR

geekloverulesGSR Police Officer

saw this thread, so I thought I might tell of an article I read in the paper a few months back.

apparently, some lady in central Newfoundland shot her husband because she claimed she thought he was a bear, so she get a gun and shot him, and he died.

one question: how you mistake a man, a human being, for an extremely large, furry bear?

15. Dynamo1

A lot of chest hair?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.