Flack # 7 - Everybody Loves A Hero

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by kinkapoodles, Nov 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Well, I don't think these characters have much of a social life, and the fact that Flack works with the YMCA kids was a great touch, and says a lot about the character. :)

As for the friendship with other characters, it's not all about what happens outside of work, it also includes the interactions when they're on the job as well. The friendship between Flack and Stella is a great example of this. We know they have a great rapport going on not because they hang out after shift, but because of the way they talk to each other and how they get along. ;)

The friendship with Danny is definitely expanded in fanfiction, but when asked about it in interviews, both Eddie and Carmine have spoken about the friendship in a positive way. ;) So it's definitely there. I don't think Danny being close to Hawkes (and knowing a lot about him) lessens his friendship with Flack in any way, but I would go so far as to say the relationships are probably quite different. ;)

I don't assume that the characters aren't close to their families because they never specifically mention spending time with them outside of work, so the same is true for friendships as well, at least as far as I'm concerned. ;) The whole team could go to Sullivan's (or whichever bar they go to) for a beer every week for all we know, even if they never show it. ;)

2. Guest

Guest Guest

As many hours as they put in working, you're probably right about not having much of a social life. You gotta love what you do to put in those kind of hours. Anyway, here's a pic that I like.
    [​IMG]

3. disprncss358

disprncss358 Rookie

^^^ he's so cute. :)

4. CSI_in_training

CSI_in_training CSI Level Two

He's adorable! I love his expression, very nice!
    I think that since they all spend so much time together at work they don't have to go out after hours and hang out. They probably use that limited time when they're not working to catch up on sleep and take some personal time. That's what I would do.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

I think they look at each other as family. Catching up on sleep makes sense though!!! I think that some of them do see each other outside work. I still see Danny and Don getting together for pizza, beer and sports on TV. Invite Sheldon and Adam along too, what the hell. I like the idea of them being friends. Just because we don't see it illustrated on the show doesn't mean it's not happening. I *think* it was Eddie who pointed out in an interview that there are only 43 minutes to get the story told. But from the recent spoilers it sounds like they are going to get more into personal stuff. I'm still holding out for some Flack backstory.

6. ka990

ka990 Police Officer

I'm also holding out for more info on Flack, but am not holding my breath. He seems to be the almost forgotten member of the team ... :(

7. Guest

Guest Guest

On the subject of Danny and Flack being friends, I wonder if the other cops would frown on Don being friends with Danny because of Danny's background. We saw that the Captain doesn't think much of Danny. I don't think that would stop Don from being friends with Danny, not at all, but I just wonder how the guys at the precinct look at it, and would Don be sort of discreet about his friendship with him or would he just treat it like any other friendship and if he gets any shit from them, how does he handle it?

8. CSI_in_training

CSI_in_training CSI Level Two

That's a really good question. And I think that the other cops, especially after the whole memo book incident, would probably frown on their friendship. Danny's brother being a tanglewood boy and Danny's run in with the gangs. I also see Flack telling them to 'but out' or something considerable stronger.

9. Faylinn

I've thought about that, what other people would think about Don and Danny being friends. I think Don would just have a 'shut up and deal with it' attitude toward them, although I expect most of the issues are probably with older cops than younger ones. I imagine the cops that Flack grew up knowing because they worked with his father might think it's a bad idea for Don to hang out with Danny--but Don's not going to let that stop him. Danny's a good guy, and a good cop, and I think that's all that matters to Don. ;) He has to know all about the Messers, and it doesn't seem to affect how he views Danny, so I think that says a lot. :)

About the recent stuff, with Flack looking bad to the other cops: it wouldn't surprise me if some people talked smack about Don and implied that his friendship with the CSIs in general, and Danny in particular, had been a bad influence on him, making him turn his back on the cops...

I also like how Flack is the bridge between the cops and the CSIs. I often wonder how Papa Flack feels about the forensics and all that. Don seems to trust it (usually, because sometimes he just wants to follow the 'good old fashioned motive' ;)), but I think about that part in "The Fall" when Stella (I think) was talking about the difference between blood and wine on the floor and Moran sort of said "scientists" in a disdainful tone--I wonder if that echoes the way Flack Sr. feels about the whole thing?

10. Guest

Guest Guest

I can imagine Flack Sr. being disdainful of the newfangled ways of getting the bad guy, but on the other hand it seems narrow-minded to me that he would not agree that there are better and more accurate ways of catching criminals than there was when he was out there. If anything he probably looks at it that he had to work harder than the cops of the 21st century do? But on the other hand there's no substitute for a good old fashioned interrogation, especially when done by someone who's as good at it as Flack Jr.

When it comes to Danny, I imagine that Dad has to have at least some reservations about Don fraternizing with someone who has gang connections, even if Danny has removed himself from all of that. The old "sins of the father" adage. Whether it's father or brother, it's still family. I'd like to think that Don values Danny enough as a friend to look past all that and just love Danny for himself and the hell with family considerations on either side.

11. Faylinn

I don't think Don Sr. would be against forensics, necessarily, I just think he'd consider it separate from 'real' policework...

I definitely think that Don Sr. would be suspicious of Danny because of the whole Tanglewood/possible-mob connections. I'm not sure that Danny could ever get away from that in his eyes...Don definitely seems the type to judge a person individually on their own merits, not make assumptions based on what other people say. ;)

12. Cass

Cass Police Officer

I don't think Flack Sr. would be against forensics, maybe he would have a hard time accepting it at first but then would realize it's helpful.

When it comes to Danny he would be suspicious because of the Tanglewood story, but as Faylinn said Don doesn't seem to judge people because of what others say.

13. crmscnnvstgtr101

crmscnnvstgtr101 CSI Level Two

The thing I loved about last week's episode was that Flack, as much as he cares for the CSIs and is there as a friend, he was also able to maintain a certain professionalism and tried to contain Mac as best he could. I think there is a certain respect that comes with that and Flack definitely deserves it.

14. Guest

Guest Guest

[​IMG]

"Get him outta here!"

"You got it."

15. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

Anyone see the talk on the LV Loco Motives thread about joke-making as a way to cope with things? Think that's why Flack's always joking the way he does?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.