Peyton: should she stay or should she go?

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by PsyKay, Nov 28, 2006.

1. PsyKay

PsyKay Dead on Arrival

Hey there, I was wondering what you guys thought of Ms Driscoll, since we're almost done with her 4 episodes...
    I mean, despite Forlani being annoyingly beautiful, and her character actually having nice potential with strong personnality and screen presence, I can't help but feeling she's been forced on us. I know this is no soap opera, but given Mac's history, a little flirting would've been nice before he gets involved in a serious relationship (yes, I'm very protective of my Mac, I don't pair him with strangers :p).
    On top of that, I love a conflicted Mac, it's just more material for Gary. So since the late Claire is kinda coming back in his life in the shape of Reed, what about one last argument then Peyton's free to go :D?

2. pretty_in_pink

pretty_in_pink Lab Technician

I felt that Peyton was DEFINETLY forced onto us WAY too soon. I mean, to see her for the first time IN BED with Mac and sliding her hand down his chest was a little too much for me to take. I really will be glad when she leaves the show.
    Not that I don't think that Claire Forlani isn't beautiful or a fantastic actress, I just don't like her character enough to want her to be a long time character.

3. dannys_texas

dannys_texas Victim

I feel the same way. Peyton was forced on us with all the subtlety of a Mack truck hitting a concrete wall. With no warning at all, we're supposed to accept that she's been sleeping with Mac?

Another complaint I have about her is that when she's in the lab, Sid Hammerback (I think Robert Joy is overdue for an opening credit!) gets shafted on screen time and is basically treated like part of the lab equipment.

4. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

I think the character is alright and could be given some decent development if she stayed, but I won't cry if and when she leaves.

Because I read the spoilers before the season, I knew that Mac would have a girlfriend, and that they'd been together for a year--so it didn't seem sudden to me when the episode started and we saw her. I can imagine that it was very shocking to see if you weren't expecting it, considering the way we assumed that Mac felt about dating (since they, you know, didn't mention it :rolleyes:).

5. MrsGiovinazzo

MrsGiovinazzo CSI Level Three

It seemed kind of strange that Mac had a girlfriend for a year, but the viewer knew nothing of it until seeing them in bed together. Kind of a jolting introduction.

Forlani is beautiful, the character is fine and the age difference isn't as distracting as I thought it might be. However, that British accent annoys the hell out of me. I realize she's British, but in "Mallrats" she spoke without an accent, so I know she can do it.

I don't really care whether she stays or goes. Her presence might add some interesting conflcit for Mac though, as he tries to move on with his life, but is now faced with his wife's son and might cling to the past as he relives some of it for the kid's benefit.

6. kissmesweet

kissmesweet Coroner

To be honest, it's a little weird when they first came on. I'm glad that Mac's happy and everything. But this is the first time we're introduced to her and then she's in bed with Mac... It's as if it's a MacOC fanfic onscreen. And seeing that was a little too much. Besides, there isn't alot of character developement. Is there?

Since it's only as if TPTB bring her up to be a love interest, I don't think they're gonna do alot of character developement with her anyway.

I thought that Mac should have some drama, but now with Reed and the fact that he needs to confront some of his past. (Remember him telling the woman with locked-in syndrome that he threw away everything he had that belonged to or reminded him of Claire? Except for a beach ball, I think.) I'll much rather see some family drama instead of the pairing of Mac and Peyton.

Claire Forlani is a great actress, I've seen her in Joe Black. But she doesn't quite fit on CSI:NY. I like how they're having a British character on and that's absolutely fine with me but I just don't find her a very likeable character.

But I did like her single scene with Sid, fighting for the mummified body.

7. chaostheory08

chaostheory08 CSI Level Three

Well, I haven't watched a single season3 episode so I'm reacting in a SMACked writer's POV.

Claire Forlani is a great actress and she's very pretty. Seeing screencaps of the latest episode -- with the picture of Claire Taylor. I might be dreaming but Claire Taylor and Peyton look similar... light-colored hair, slightly wavy.... idk. Maybe Peyton reminds Mac of Claire.

As a SMACked writer, the inclusion of Peyton in the cast makes for great angst material. The ship lends itself to angst tremendously well with the actors' longing looks [so close, yet so far away] and touches and what not.

8. catey1234

catey1234 Pathologist

I feel much like everyone else who's posted so far. She's a character I could do without, and won't be upset to see her leave. If she stays, so be it, but I think it was contrived to have her added to the show. And the whole being introduced to her by her being in bed with Mac was just unnecessary.

9. kasmith101

kasmith101 Rookie

booo... hisss... She should go. I don't like the Mac/Peyton thing at all. She would have been fine if she didn't have the Mac relationship thing going. It think it's all contrived!

10. Ceindreadh

Ceindreadh Pathologist

Peyton sets my teeth on edge. I tried to give her a chance, but every time she's on screen I'm just going "dear God, please hurry up and get this scene over"
    I've never see CF in anything else, so I don't know if it's her or just the character, but I really really hope that they don't decide to extend her contract.

I also hate the complete retcon of having her and Mac be 'dating for a year'. There was no indication in S2 that Mac was anything other than single. (ok, I still have 3 or 4 eps to watch) If they'd said that they'd only started dating a few months earlier, even since the blast in COTP then that would have worked, because we know there had to have been at least 3 or 4 months for Flack to recover. But no, they have to rewrite history, and nothing I have seen in P's eps explains why they felt the need to stick her in as if she'd always been around.

11. chaostheory08

They could've introduced Peyton in another way. I mean, they can say that she's with Mac for a year without having her in bed with the man. It's an eye-candy for Mac/Gary fans but for SMACked shippers (like myself) -- oooh golly, thank goodness for spoilers.

If SMACked isn't such a strong and effective pairing, Peyton wouldn't raise as much issue. SMACked is well-established from the start and it's hard to imagine them apart -- with or without romantic tones.

12. devildoll

devildoll Hit and Run

I might be in the minority group here, but to be honest I like her and want her to stay.

The first scene of 301 did annoy me, but that was the only scene I hope they never aired. TPTB introduced her in a wrong way but she earned back the scores.

I like Peyton, she may initially come to the show as a love interest, but she grown on me every time she made appearance. I tried hard to dislike her but cannot. Her accent didn't annoy me, and I cannot think about any of her behaviours that is annoying, unprofessional or irresonable. Another reason I accept her might be that I am not a M/S shipper, I appreaciated the way the writers presented Mac/Stella friendship, one of the best friendships on TV.

Anyway, I am glad Mac got a companion who can make him smile a lot. He definitely had a good time with Peyton.

13. chaostheory08

Yeah, I guess part of the blame goes to TPTB's introduction of the character. For the past 2 seasons, Mac was an untouchable force -- reachable only by Stella. They've tried a love interest (Rose) but the plotline ended up on the cutting room floor -- or the paper shredder.

14. PsyKay

PsyKay Dead on Arrival

From the way they act around each other on that first episode, they just don't look like people being together for a year anyway... More like 3 days... That year thing might have got lost between the website and the script :rolleyes:.

15. MBGrissom

MBGrissom Pathologist

I'm in the minority also, but I like Peyton. As others have mentioned, I won't cry if she goes, but I honestly don't mind if she stays for awhile (not permanently). I love the dynamics between Mac/Stella, but I don't think Mac's relationship with Peyton has gotten in the way of Mac's friendships/interactions with his co-workers, we still see as much screentime with Mac/other characters as much as we did B.P. (Before Peyton). If we suddenly started seeing Mac/Peyton together on every case, then I'd bitch about it, despite liking Peyton or not. But that hasn't been the case, so the relationship hasn't annoyed me, yet. Yes, the opening scene with them in bed was a jolt for anyone who hadn't read the spoilers and seen the stills for what was coming, but besides that, I personally feel like they've handled it rather well. It stands to reason that these intelligent, interesting, good looking characters would be meeting people outside of their immediate environs to be attracted to or develop friendships/relationships with.

Finally, judging by the ratings, I think CSI NY will be around for awhile, plenty of time yet for SMacked to happen, yes? :)