Wii love the neXt gen3ration!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by GilGrissomCSI, Nov 23, 2006.

1. GilGrissomCSI

GilGrissomCSI Coroner

Yes, it is the partial return of GilGrissomCSI. Try not to get too excited. If you watch the show "Bones", and post on Fox's Bones forum, you have probably already seen this because I posted it there too.

And no, my mind has not all of a sudden gone to spelling and grammatical errors...I'm talking about the Nintendo Wii, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3. I don't know if any of you are gamers, but here's hoping. Topic starter questions:

1. Do you think the PlayStation 3 is worth it's $600 price tag?

2. The Xbox 360 - Does it have a chance in the race anymore after it's disasterous launch? (For those who don't know, the first 360s literally melted in the hands of the buyers because there was an internal problem with the system.)

3. The Wii's remote-like, motion sensor controller, although innovative, may limit the game choices. Do you think it's a good or bad idea?

To answer my own questions, yes, I do think the PlayStation 3 is worth it's $500-$600 price tag. Not only do they offer 60 gigabytes of internal (removable!) memory, but it provides gamers with a brand new interface from which to download music, games, and movies. It also comes equipped with HD capabilities for the best gaming experience, and I believe Blu-Ray also lies within it's shiny new casing. Sony's new SIXAXIS controller, which is a somewhat motion sensing controller (though not much compared to the Wii-mote), will also provide many developing and gaming opportunites, as it can be used on motion sensor related games as well as normal games. The PS3 is also backwards compatible with the first PlayStation as well as PS2, so I do believe it's very worth it's price tag, even as high as it is. As for the Xbox 360, I think they're definitely out of the race. Microsoft made a big mistake launching the system before it was ready (which Microsoft tends to do a lot), and now they're going to pay the price. The PS3 demands are higher than the 360s were, and Nintendo is following close behind. Right now I think it's between Sony and Nintendo, though I can't be sure which will win the historical Next Generation Console Race. Moving on to the Wii-mote: I think it might cause some idea issues in the future because mostly all the games must be compatible with the Wii-mote and Nunchuck attatchment, but Nintendo really sparked a LOT of attention with their new controller. It offers the opportunity for interaction with the games that we haven't seen for a long time. For example - Red Steel - the new First Person Shooter for the Wii. It has an adult look and feel, yet manages to make you fully comfortable with the Wii-mote and let you learn the basics, which is developing genius for a launch title. With a throw of your arm you can take your sword and hack/slash your enemies, and with one final stabbing motion with the Wii-mote, finish them off. Extending your arm out will hold out the gun, and moving it will aim it wherever your arm goes. Turn the Wii-mote in your hand, and the gun turns to the side too. It's brilliant beyond words. I think that despite the skepticism when Nintendo first released pictures and footage of their new controller, it really put them back in the Race.

I know that was a lot to read, and I know most of you didn't even read it. But hey, it's worth a shot! I love games, so I'm trying to find more people who do.

Happy gaming -
    -GGCSI

2. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

XBox = Microsoft = Piece of shit

PS3... It's quite high price when you compare the others... but have they ever made BAD console? Uh - no. So yeah, I'm sure they'll do well. But the price... I mean - you needto buy console and then you need to buy all the games :rolleyes:

Wii. I am so excited about it. So damn excited. I keep thinking of the Zelda games and that system
    Man :D I hope I have money to buy that thing some day :D

3. GilGrissomCSI

GilGrissomCSI Coroner

Oh, Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess looks like GOD. I'm getting my Wii sometime in the next week, and I'll be getting that and Red Steel. Both look amazing, if you ask me. Red Steel has been getting less-than-stellar reviews, but I think it's worth a look, and LoZ has been getting excellent reviews. It was rated "9.6 - Incredible" by IGN, which is pretty hard to get.

I was actually rather suprised to see Red Steel being advertised on this website. I was about to click in to make another post and I just got completely distracted by the add. It was a "teh OMGWTFLOL!11" moment.

How about Rayman Raving Rabbids? I don't know if you're a Rayman fan, but it's not a Platformer like the others. It's more like a collection of about 70 minigames. It's supposed to be really fun though. I'll probably be picking that one up sometime in the near future too.

Also, compared to the other systems, Wii is very cheap.
    PS3: $500-$600
    Xbox 360: $350 - $400
    Wii: $250

4. Reeble

Reeble CSI Level Three

I don't know, I mean I've always been an X Box fan, but the PS3 looks so god damn...*teary eyed* beautiful. The only thing I'm not sure about is the motion sensor controller. I don't really know the details about it but it sounds like it would get annoying. Unless you can turn it off or something. I'm definitely not going to be buying the PS3 though. Waaaaaay too expensive. I'm glad they changed the controllers too. The original design was pretty bad. I like the new one though. Sleek without making alot of change.

As for the Wii: it doesn't really seem to interest me. I love Nintendo, but the remote controller design is weird, and the split controller thing is cool, but it would -like you said, GGCSI- limit the variety of games you could play. But. BUT. I am making it my mission to play the new Zelda game somehow. That looks amazing. Zelda = love.

The 360, I find, is great. I don't personally have it, but all my friends who do love it, and all the times I have played on it I've loved it. Great graphics, love the new controllers (not to big, not to small and wireless (yay!)).

I agree. For the price, I say Wii is a great choice. I don't actually know that much about the PS3 and the Wii yet. Anyone care to inform me about the new features?

5. GilGrissomCSI

GilGrissomCSI Coroner

New Features for the PS3:
    -The new SIXAXIS controllers, which have some motion sensing abilities, and are completely wireless with no delays.
    -Completely internal memory. For $500 you get 40 Gigabytes, and for $600 you get 60 Gigabytes.
    -Completely new system interface from which to buy movies and games.
    -Touch-sensetive membrane buttons on the actual console. It's not really needed, but it's neat.
    -Two letters: HD. 'Nuff said.
    -Comes equipped with Bluetooth. (Which, in non-gamers terms, means Wireless capabilities.)
    -Backwards compatible with first two Playstations.

New Features for the Wii:
    -New Wii-mote and Nunchuck attachment. Fun stuff.
    -512 MB Internal memory
    -Brand new interface where you can access weather, friends list, photo programs, and more.
    -Backwards compatibility with Gamecube
    -Slots for Gamecube memory sticks.
    -Classic Nintendo games available for purchase directly from the interface.

6. FreakyLady

FreakyLady Pathologist

Hmmm... like Reeble, I've always been a X Box fan, too. I have the first Xbox and I like it. Now there's the 360 and I'm really looking foward to buy it, because... eh.. I just like it...
    But unfortunately I don't have the money for it. I mean I rather spend my money for other things. And right now, I'm not in the mood to save some money.

Concerning the PS3.. well... I don't know. My sister has the PS2, but she only uses it for games like "EyeToy" etc.
    GilGrissomCSI asked whether it is worth to pay $600 for the PS3 or not. I definitely can say that $600 are a lot of money and honestly I'm not willing to pay so much. I mean it's not only the console itself, the games are also expensive. The games here in Germany for Xbox 360 mostly cost 70 €. And I think that is too much for a game.

Regarding the Wii, I have no idea.

All in all I can say that I'm not such a hardcore gamer. I'm more the casual gamer, you know... I play once in a while. But I nevertheless I love games, but I just have no time to play them. :(
    I'm also not sure whether I would use all the features (which GilGrissomCSI writes), the consoles are offering. Ok, 60 Gigabytes sounds nice, but do I really need them? The new consoles offers a lot of features via Internet, but I honestly doubt that I will really use them. Things like buying stuff, information about weather etc., I do this with my great computer. Maybe some of you will say that it's better to have everything in one. But for me, I don't agree. I think I wouldn't want to buy things like movies with my console. It sounds kinda strange. But it seems this is the idea of the new "NextGen" consoles.

As a conclusion I say, I wouldn't pay $600 for a console. It's simply not worth. There are other things for §600 which are more useful.
    And if I had to choose one, I would pick the Xbox 360, because I just like it more.
    (And maybe I will buy the 360, if there's a good and special offer from the shop).
    And as it was already the topic with the "old" consoles: everybody has its own favourite console, so he or she should choose on his or her own which console he or she would like to buy. :)

btw: I like the thread title :D

7. GilGrissomCSI

GilGrissomCSI Coroner

This is mainly the reason for the somewhat lower Next Gen console sales. They're getting so high tech and so advanced that frankly, they're leaving the gamers behind. Sure, the features on the Wii and PS3 are phenomenal and very appealing, but it's just so goddamn expensive. I love games. They're practically my life. But they try my patience with these prices...it's just starting to become an (obsessive) hobby I can't afford for much longer. At least Nintendo tried a bit this time around. It sports the lowest price tag, comes with "Wii Sports" among the usual accessories, and each new Wii-mote costs only $30, as opposed to the usual $50 - $60 for the other consoles.

This is off-topic, but have you seen the video for the new PS3 EyeToy? It looks fun, but I probably won't get one since I hated the first one anyway. At least there was one good thing about the first one...it could be used as a WebCam. Now if only my computer weren't so damn mental about everything that goes into it's USB ports...

I again refer back to my earlier statement in this message. Upgrades are good, but low prices are better. Unfortunately, they are not synonymous.

You should look into it if you're into gaming with your friends and/or family. Much like the N64, the Wii has many multiplayer games that are great to play with friends if they're into gaming too.

Alas, the sad reality known as life gets in the way of slaying evil in mystical lands and street racing customized cars. *sigh*

Whether you need them is up to you. Sony mainly put 60 Gigs in there because of their brand new interface that allows movie purchases, which will eat a lot of your hardrive space. But they also had them in there for people like me who have no life and play games all the time, and frequently run out of memory space. 60 Gigs should keep me busy for awhile, but if you're not too hardcore, it should last you a very, very long time, if not forever, which is less money to play on your part. ;)

And right you are. Here is the idea of Next Gen Consoles summed up into one word: Money. It's all about who can make the most the fastest, and by offering specials in their interfaces like movie and game downloads, they opened the floodgates to even more money. I believe the thought behind it is convenience. So you're sitting there, kickin' back, maybe playing a little Resistance: Fall of Man, when you think to yourself "Hey, I'd really like to watch a movie". But damnit, your friend has your DVD collection at his house and you don't feel like going to the video store. Hey, just buy a movie from us! People will and do use it, but I think the majority of the population just uses it because they CAN.

I wish you the best of luck on getting your 360 soon. :)

Exactly. You should tell that to those losers having console wars over the internet. *rolls eyes* Some people just don't take the fact that the consoles are just machines, and don't have feelings. :lol:

*takes a bow*
    And by the way (off-topicness!), it's pretty cool you're in Germany. I'm taking German for foreign language this year, and it's awesome so far.

8. FreakyLady

FreakyLady Pathologist

Wow :eek: a full reply to my opinion. I'm really impressed.

and sorry for being off-topic: You take German as a foreign language? Wow... cool.:) If you have questions or something like that, feel free to PM me. :D

9. GilGrissomCSI

GilGrissomCSI Coroner

Aight, cool.

In other news: Has anyone here actually played the new Zelda? I heard the third dungeon is really hard.

I'd also like to know if Red Steel and Resistance: Fall of Man is any good.

10. Daquien

Daquien Coroner

How about the portables?
    Which do you think is better PSP or Nintendo DS?

11. GilGrissomCSI

GilGrissomCSI Coroner

Without hesitation, I answer PSP. Here's why:

As a PSP owner myself, obviously I would be at least somewhat biased. But I am also an avid Nintendo fan, and I just don't think they performed up to par with the DS. There clearly should have been no competition between the two. Yes, the DS does offer the touch screen capability. But what else does it have? The PSP, on the other hand, offers it's own interface from which to use it's various features such as Internet (Infrastructure AND Ad-Hoc), Music, Photos, Movies, and Games. It's essentially an entire entertainment system that fits in your hand. Also, not to be a graphics-whore, but the general modeling of all the PSP games are superior to the cell-shading and two dimensional games of the DS. There is just no question whatsoever. The PSP is the superior device.

I must say, however, that neither device has any good first person shooters besides SOCOM for PSP...Splinter Cell for the DS practically made my eyes bleed just looking at it.

Just my opinion, though. What do you think?