Ratings: CSI vs ...

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Waiting, Oct 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raven04

Raven04 Police Officer

Re: CSI Ratings versus Grey's Anatomy

I after about 5 episodes the explosion for grey's would die down. people are slowly coming back to csi.

2. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

YIPEE hooray.. the dehard CSI fans have returned.. and good for them.. traitors.. ;)I was never worried. just a bit stunned.. :eek:

3. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

I never left!!!!

4. Hottie_Cath

Hottie_Cath Corpse

You're not alone I guess.. check out the episodes that rated really low, and look at the promo pics and clips that they released for that episode.

Interesting. They give Warrick more screentime and they win in the ratings..by three million viewers. *s*

5. GumDrops

GumDrops Rookie

Now, see, i don't see the problem in liking both. i watch both, and i enjoy them a lot. Since S6 of CSI, I haven't really been that interested. I mean, I'll watch it if it's on, but if i've seen it, no way. But with Grey's Anatomy, I think I'm addicted. Sorry. I'm still a CSI fan though. and, seriously, who cares what show is beating out the other? It's freakin' TV!

6. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

I used to like both, and you're right - there's nothing wrong with it. They're both good shows, and if you have a way to watch both, power to you.

I personally found, and this was during the last season before I knew about the move - that I could just see how easily Grey's was going to go in circles, and it turned me off. Plus I can't stand Meredith.

But I adore George, so I watch sometimes just for George and Izzie, both of whom I like.

Okay - these are just the fast nationals, so I'll adjust it when the "real" numbers come out, but in keeping with our "tracking", here is where this new episode sits with the rest of the season:

Premiere: 22.58
    Episode 2: 23.77 - 5% gain from week before
    Episode 3: 21.51 - 9.5% drop
    Episode 4: 21.58 - 0.3% gain
    Episode 5: 20.49 - 5% drop
    Episode 6: 20.53 - 0.2% gain
    Episode 7: 20.83 - 1.5% gain
    Episode 8: 23.83 - 13% gain

CSI's total loss since the premiere of Season 7 in terms of audience is now: actually a gain of 5%, meaning that CSI has (again, in fast nationals - so subject to change) beat not only its premiere ratings, but also the highest rated episode of the season before it.

Here's what Grey's is looking at:

Premiere: 25.4 million viewers
    Episode 2: 23.5 million viewers - 7.5% drop from week before
    Episode 3: 22.8 million viewers - 3% drop
    Episode 4: 21.93 million viewers - 4% drop
    Episode 5: 20.96 million viewers - 4.5% drop
    Episode 6: 21.03 million viewers - 0.3% gain
    Episode 7: 20.65 million viewers - 1.8% drop
    Episode 8: 20.9 million viewers - 1.2% gain

Their total drop in audience since the premiere is: 17.7% loss.

I'll adjust when the firm ratings come out.

CSI's episode rating average for this season is: 21.89
    Grey's episode rating average for this season is: 22.15

Difference: 0.26

ETA

One last set of statistics for anyone interested (I love stats. lol.)

Premiere: Grey's beats CSI by 11.1%
    Episode 2: CSI beats Grey's by 1.1%
    Episode 3: Grey's beats CSI by 5.7%
    Episode 4: Grey's beats CSI by 1.6%
    Episode 5: Grey's beats CSI by 2.2%
    Episode 6: Grey's beats CSI by 2.4%
    Episode 7: CSI beats Grey's by 1%
    Episode 8: CSI beats Grey's by 12.3%

My own take on the ratings?

People are clearly fast falling out of love with Grey's, and so the three million may have wandered over to the OC. But with the OC switching to Wednesday nights, I think that 3 million (and they were clearly the younger viewers because of the huge 18-49 surge) just decided to head back to CSI.

7. ollieuan

ollieuan Lab Technician

The OC is staying put on Thursdays. There wasn't a raise in the Wednesday ratings so they're leaving the show on Thursdays at 9/8c.

I'm tired of everyone stating that S6 was bad. Almost as if it's fact. I happened to like S6. In fact, I liked the first 8 eps of S6 much more than the first 8 eps of this season.

I won't deny that the end of S6 was questionable, and those "creative" decisions turned people off during the summer. However, I have seen no increase in quality between the end of S6 and the beginning of S7. Potato-Potahto, I suppose.

I'll keep watching Grey's until I see an improvement in CSI. I'm worried about whether it will ever come, though. We're a third of the way through the season already.

8. Aquarian

Aquarian Hit and Run

I don't know if this was already mentioned so forgive me if it has. But what's the deal with Dancing With the Stars beating out CSI? I know they are not on the same night but it's still beating out CSI.
    But that Dancing show is over for now.

9. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

ollieuan , it was a personal opinion and I said that I thought season 6 was bad. You think Season 7 isn't great. Opinion, not fact.

Thanks for the information about the OC. Incidentally, apparently Deal or No Deal is no longer showing on Thursdays at 9, so that could explain the rise as well.

Aquarian - it's because those are the weekly ratings, meaning they just tally up which shows got the highest ratings for the week. The Grey's/CSI/OC battle is specifically around one time period.

Dancing With the Stars is going to win this week, by the way - it got 27 million for its finale.

I think we might beat Desperate Housewives, however, because of the big ratings share and the numbers - DH is average about 22.5, so I think we have a good chance of being second this week, and once Dancing is gone, before American Idol starts, it'll pretty much be the Desperate Housewives/Grey's/CSI fight to the finish. And with the numbers they're all pulling in, it's going to be anyone's crown.

10. Txxgrrrl

Txxgrrrl Hit and Run

I saw something pointed out by one of the bright minds over at another board and it was something that I had forgotten about. Most likely the biggest reason for this weeks jump: NBC moved Deal or No Deal. They had 11.5 million viewers in that slot last week. This week they did one of their supersize nights so The Office ran into the first 20 minutes of the hour and 30 Rock the last 40. Apparently these things are a bit of a nightmare for the ratings people but these are the fast national numbers for those two programs:

The Office: 8.5 million viewers

30 Rock: 5 million viewers....that kinda makes me sad as I love that show.

That has to be a factor. Between the two weeks there's a 3 million difference in the first 20 minutes and 6.5 million for the rest of the hour. I would chalk up this weeks jump to that way before I would chalk it up to promo pics that 99% of the audience don't see. Apparently Grey's viewer numbers went up a bit as well.

Next week should be interesting as it's Thanksgiving and I wonder how many people watch TV, well besides football, on that day.

ETA: Sorry Sarah...didn't see your post pointing out the same thing.

11. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

HECK YEAH!! we won this weeks ratings!! c'mon!! we beat the crap out of GA. finally, they freakin' deserved it!!

YYYEEEAAAHHH *dances, throws confetti and all that jazz*

12. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

Did anyone else laugh at the Grey's ad for this week which was calling itself the number one watched show? They haven't been on top in what - three, four weeks?

If they're including their Friday numbers, I think CSI should be able to count up all of its syndication numbers as well.

13. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

I posted this in the other thread (CSI vs CSI) that has now been locked.
    Now the only way I can do it is to change the title of the thread as I have so that it reflects and expansion on the conversation against other shows and CSI LV itself.

14. ollieuan

ollieuan Lab Technician

I think that's a great idea, Destiny. This gives us a chance to discuss the show's ratings against a variety of other shows, including past seasons of CSI.

Well, so far this season Grey's IS the #1 show on Thursdays. And even if they weren't talking season averages they have won the target demographic every week but one. However, I completely agree that they are misleading the audience. They cannont claim the top spot because Danicing with the Stars has been on top for weeks, and Desperate Housewives did marginally better a couple times as well. They really should have included "Thursday's most watched show" in the promo.

15. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

Thanks, Destiny - and I'm sorry for the board clutter.

I understand that, ollieuan, but Grey's was calling itself the number one most watched show. Not on Thursdays, not scripted, but just flat-out, number one most watched.

Which they are not. And have not been for three or four weeks.

And now, for the past three weeks, they haven't even been Thursdayy's number one most-watched show. That title seems to suggest number of viewers and not ratings. CSI has beat them two weeks in a row in terms of pure number of viewers.

Desperate Housewives beat them both the week before that.

Now I know CSI still ran its ad saying that in weeks it wasn't number one, but in their defence, they'd BEEN number one for, like three years.

Grey's just seems to be trying to flout their ratings as hard as they can. And after their misleading ads about "30+ million" (they had been including Friday's numbers) I'm just a little tired of the BS that comes out of their ad campaigns. They're doing well, so why do they feel the need to lie?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.