Ratings: CSI vs ...

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Waiting, Oct 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alyssa

Alyssa CSI Level Two

Re: CSI Ratings versus Grey's Anatomy

Could you post CSI's as well, sarah for a side by side comparison? With percentages per week? If that's too demanding, I'll just take CSI's rating and do the percentage work m'self. :)

2. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

Compare with CSI:

Premiere: 22.58
    Episode 2: 23.77 - 5% gain from week before
    Episode 3: 21.51 - 9.5% drop
    Episode 4: 21.58 - 0.3% gain
    Episode 5: 20.49 - 5% drop
    Episode 6: 20.53 - 0.2% gain
    Episode 7: 20.83 - 1.5% gain

Just a quick reminder:
    Premiere: Built to Kill
    2: Built to Kill 2
    3: Toe Tags
    4: Fannysmackin'
    5: Double Crossed
    6: Burn Out
    7: Post Mortem

Which means that, even marginally, CSI has gone up in the ratings compared to the previous week's performance 4 times, and Grey's once. And while CSI had the biggest single drop, its highest single gain far outweighed Grey's.

ETA

Overall, CSI's lost percentage based on this is: 7.5%
    Grey's total lost percentage based on this is: 20.5%

Obviously some percentages were rounded, but they were rounded by the same scale. 5 and above rounds to next highest number, 4 and below rounds down.

3. Alyssa

Alyssa CSI Level Two

Much appreciated, Sarah. I like to see information laid out like this to help me get a better understanding. Really cool work, there! Nice to see that though our beloved show isn't number 1, it's holding on, and even gaining some weeks! :)

You should post this over at YTDAW, too. It's just great to see it laid out like that, because you can see our show is holding strong against the competition.

4. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

According to the Neilsen Media Report.. CSI beat out "GA' coming in at #3.. with 20.83 million "GA" #5..at 20.65 million.. for week ending Nov. 12th.... gee isn't that a shame.. :( diehard CSI fans will always rule.. the complete TOP 20.. are in the Media thread ;)

5. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

Ratings are like fashion. You would not BELIEVE how hard it is to find ratings from, like, 3 weeks earlier. I had to go on a Grey's board at Television Without Pity (kudos to the people who posted it there, btw. Hope you aren't upset at my using your stats) and luckily people kept it pretty documented here for CSI.

Purely in terms of number of viewers, but unfortunately Grey's won the demographic.

However I hope they get rid of that part of the ratings. Not because I'm so desperate to see CSI win, but because I think it's stupid that it's not simply number of people watching. I know the youth are most likely to buy advertisements, and the ratings are truly for the advertisers, but still.

I've noticed a lot of newspapers only print the ratings in terms of viewers now.

ETA

One last quick statistic for the fun of it:

CSI's ratings average for this season is: 21.61
    Grey's ratings average for this season is: 22.32

Meaning that CSI on average has only been behind Grey's by 3% this season.

6. coolcatz

coolcatz Head of the Swing Shift

you should really compare csi s6 to csi s7 week by week. the show has lost nearly a full third of its viewers in one years time. side by side comparision of first sweeps shows a scary trend...

Ep# Title Aired Viewers Households 25-54 18-49
    707 Post Mortem 11/09 20.46m 12.4/19 ? 6.8/17

Ep# Title Aired Viewers Households 25-54 18-49
    607 ABRTI 1 11/10 29.55m 18.2/27 12.4/28 10.2/25

7. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

We've compared the previous seasons plenty in the past couple of pages. Now I thought we'd look at it from another angle, seeing as the topic of the thread is CSI vs. Grey's and not CSI vs. CSI.

The numbers have been shown and people are aware of those drops. I find it interesting that Grey's experienced the same drop in 7 episodes that took CSI a whole year.

ETA{/b]

Also, your numbers are incorrect for Post Mortem - those are the fast nationals.

8. Nish

Nish Hit and Run

It also stands to reason that with two shows sharing the same time slot that have large and loyal followings...numbers for both shows are going to suffer from last year when they were not in direct competition with each other.

I mean, only so many people watch TV on any given night guys.

CSI has had basically no competition in its time slot for 6 seasons and now it does. Honestly, I am suprised the numbers aren't lower.

*Does not worry about the future of her favorite show*

9. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

Well, and I'm not going to say that the very boring Season 6 didn't turn a lot of people off, but to say that it's the direction Season 7 has taken is a little ridiculous. Only because the ratings prove that as the episodes get better, more people are coming back.

Not in droves by a LONG shot, but at least CSI sees a rise in its numbers from week to week. Grey's on the other hand pretty much went down the plot hole of no return (the Dawson-Joey effect where after a while no one cares if they get together or not) and despite the fact that they WERE the number one show, they couldn't even hold on to that for half a season.

CSI was the number one show for a very long time. Grey's and Desperate Housewives have never had the regular, top-of-the-Nielsen ratings that CSI enjoyed.

Did this season lack character interaction? Not really - it was more just longer moments with one character rather than what we used to get - which was a LOT of mixed interaction. But Happenstance pretty much put an end to that.

I think the fact that they focused on so many personal tragedies is part of the reason that interaction was so limited - a few people had their big scenes with Greg, Grissom and Sara had their own private moments with Catherine.

I would've liked more, and I'm glad that last night Sara wasn't automatically on the same case as Grissom and that they had a breather from that interaction trhough most of the episode (after all, you can OD on anything).

I think, again, that saying that Grey's isn't that big a factor is silly. It's a huge show, up against another huge show, and now their ratings are pretty much dead even. Which proves that they've both hurt each other in the long run.

And FYI - CSI's episode rating average was about 25 million last season.

10. Bluntforcetrauma

Bluntforcetrauma Witness

I love them both, did anyone see last night Grey's (UK) Where the bomb went off very exiting! But season 6 CSI is still fantastic! I love them both

11. Raven04

Raven04 Police Officer

Guess whatlast night's episode 7x08 Beat Grey's again:

CSI is slowly beating the competiton again

12. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

The following is an official CBS Press release dated 11/17/06:

"CSI" HITS A SEASON HIGH DELIVERY IN VIEWERS, BEATING "GREY'S ANATOMY" BY NEARLY 3 MILLION VIEWERS

"CSI" Has Now Topped the ABC Series in Viewers in Two Consecutive Weeks

"CSI" Delivers Its Best Demographic Deliveries Since September and Narrows the Gap Versus "Grey's" in Adults 18-49 To Less Than a Rating Point -- Closest of the Season

CBS Wins Thursday in Viewers, Adults 25-54 and Places First in Adults 18-49 For the First Time This Season

CSI hit a season high in viewers, beating "Grey's Anatomy" by nearly three million viewers, and also had its highest adult 18-49 and adult 25-54 ratings since September, leading CBS to a first place win on Thursday in viewers, adults 25-54 and adults 18-49 (tie), according to preliminary Nielsen live plus same day ratings for Nov. 16.

Last night marked the second consecutive week CSI had beaten "Grey's Anatomy" in viewers and also is also the closest the two series have been in both adults 18-49 and adults 25-54.

CSI was first in households (14.7/22), viewers (23.83m), second in adults 25-54 (9.6/21, -0.1 behind ABC) and adults 18-49 (7.9/19). This is CSI's best delivery this season in households and viewers and best delivery in both adults 25-54 and adults 18-49 since 9/28/06. This is also the first time this season a first-run CSI topped a first-run "Grey's Anatomy" in the metered markets.

CSI beat a first run "Grey's Anatomy" by its largest margin of victory this season in households (+1.1) and viewers (+2.87m) and finished in its closest competitive position in both adults 25-54 (-0.1) and adults 18-49 (-0.9) this season.

-Shane

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Re: CSI Ratings versus Grey's Anatomy *DELETED*

Post deleted by jema

14. Jasmine

Jasmine Lab Technician

^WooHOOoo i knew CSI will slowly be on top again!!

15. Waiting

Waiting CSI Level One

I like to hear this...

HOpe it stays this way!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.