Ratings: CSI vs ...

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Waiting, Oct 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

Re: CSI Ratings versus Grey's Anatomy

It's possible that the scene was meant to look pre-coital, and that they were more mimicking a married couple who might talk before going to bed rather than just hitting the sheets.

2. ollieuan

ollieuan Lab Technician

Well, I know I only watch them online. I don't think the show is worth my primetime watching any longer. Plus, you can always do something else during those scenes of the show. ;)

I'm just sayin. There are plenty of ways to get around supporting the show ratings-wise. Plus, maybe the true "GSR haters" have already left the building. I'm sure there are plenty of haters that dont post on this board, and the ratings reflect that.

But that isn't even completely relevant. The show's decline is about much more than just GSR. That's just a piece of the puzzle.

3. Hottie_Cath

Hottie_Cath Corpse

But TV.com specifically stated that what they got were overnight ratings (TV.com posted: "according to Nielsen overnights..."), so the figures they posted aren't the final ratings yet. So far CBS has not yet posted their ratings report, the people we know who have access to CBS Press Website can attest to that. If CSI did get 200,000 more viewers I would think that CBS would post a ratings report and gloat about their win in a snap (just like what happened in Built To Kill-Part 2). But its already Monday and they haven't posted anything yet.
    ABC already released their ratings report and posted the same figures Jango wrote.
    Lets wait for CBS's final ratings maybe they'll post it later.

4. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

Then you should probably know that the episodes you get from YouTube are counted. So technically, if you're not a Nielsen house, you've added yourself to their online tally anyway.

But you're still watching. So the point is moot.

Doesn't matter if you're watching on your bigscreen or your iPod, you're still watching. There are people who are not. And they're probably also not downloading them online.

So if you, who hates the pairing, is still watching in some form, again, that disputes the concept that it's people who hate the pairing who have left.

Not if they know that they still haven't won because of the key demographic. No one wants to boast about 'winning' when, according to the measurement, they haven't. People pay attention to the ratings because advertisers pay attention to the ratings, and the advertisers pay to have their ads shown.

If CSI didn't win, they didn't win. I heard that the Simpsons is one of the most expensive half-hours to advertise for, yet it's something like 64th in the ratings. CSI is probably comparatively cheap simply because it's not a hit with the younger generation anymore.

ETA

My main point is this: the original argument was that it was about quality. If that was true, then the people who hate GSR would not stay. Because both the show would be poor quality and there would be a pairing they didn't like.

But the fact that a lot have stayed, and some have admitted that the episodes are pretty good, says that the quality of the show is fine. Would you really still watch something if everything about it bored you?

I do find it interesting that Grey's lowest numbers so far came because of the episode where Isaiah called T.R. Knight a homosexual slur and grabbed Patrick.

Again, I think that while CSI's numbers have dropped significantly, it dropped roughly 29% in a season and a quarter. Grey's has dropped 20% in 7 episodes. So of the two, again, I think we can see where the real decline in quality is presenting itself.

CSI's numbers went down 20% from the season 6 premiere to the season 7 premiere. It took them a whole season. It took Grey's a handful of episodes.

5. Hottie_Cath

Hottie_Cath Corpse

Oh they already did in BTK 2. If you're right about the 200k lead of CSI against GA last week, then the same thing happened in Built to Kill-Part 2 (in BTK-2 CSI got more viewers but didn't win in the total households and all the key demos) but CBS released a ratings report and gloated about how they got more viewers all over the place the day after BTK was aired. But now they did not (yet) release any report for Post Mortem.

In your previous posts you said that it is likely that when The OC airs, it would grab Grey's Anatomy's main viewers. Well The OC did grab their viewers, they got 400k more viewers from the 18-49 age bracket last week.

6. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

married couple? ulg, i still see them in 'father and daughter' roles...I was gross out by that scene...blah

7. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

seems to me the ratings started to drop right around when WP started to disappear...

I find the quality of the show takes a huge dive when Grissom isn't around. I think WP does a lot more for the show than act...he probably comes up with a lot of the ideas...

That is why I will probably stop watching when he leaves. The GSR put some nails in the coffin, and WP leaving will be the final nail.

8. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

True, Hottie_Cath - and I'm sorry that I reported a false source without checking all of the information.

But Grey's fall has to mean something as well. It's one thing for a show to drop after its premiere. It's quite another for it to keep dropping week after week without ever once getting a single extra viewer.

Interesting statistic: CSI was not the number one show last year. It was actually third with an average of 25 million.

9. FoxRox

FoxRox CSI Level Two

Well I stopped watching "live" after S6 finale and I am planning to start watching again when Grissom leaves on sabbatical. I get all the news, reviews and spoilers just reading this board.
    I´ve watched a few eps S7 though but only post-air - got the videos from a friend- so I can fast-forward.

Reason: GSR and the loss of team interaction
    It´s not that I hate GSR. I just hate the realization of it. GSR killed all the other ships and also keeps Sara and Grissom paired up ALL.THE.TIME. Boring.

I loved this show when TPTB really used the unique ensemble chemistry.
    Loved The Young Turks + Greg together! For example I adored GumDrops and Rashomama for the team interaction. But when they pair the same people up constantly it kills the show. They also need to give the CSI´s quality screentime (not 5 secs an actor!) AND pair the actors with the best on-screen chemistry up.

IMO while Sara is FUN and at her best with Nick or Greg, comfortable with Warrick or dynamic with Cath--
    I just don´t see anything bw her and Grissom (unless they have some type of conflict/friction). I think Sara and Grissom have too similar personalities so when they lost the angst of this pairing- TPTB lost the viewers (at least this viewers) interest in the pair.

Same with the quality team interaction- if TPTB don´t use it they loose the biggest asset of this show.

10. JangoBear

JangoBear Lab Technician

Sigh. :rolleyes: As I said, GSR is one of the factors. See FoxRox's excellent post about the combined factors of what's probably driving people away. Btw, welcome back FoxRox.!

Fast nationals are out over at pifeedback.com . Desperate Housewives will top both CSI and GA with 22.20 million viewers.

Also, it doesn't matter if GA's ratings have fallen in a shorter time frame than CSI's. The fact is, CSI still can't beat GA and now it's not beating DH. CSI is barely treading over 20 million viewers.

I have a theory. I think that these first seven episodes were shot before and/or around the start of S7. Now that the ratings continue to drop I wonder (hope, pray) that TPTB are making the necessary changes to stop the bleeding. ;)

11. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

Forget for a moment that it's CSI. No show in the world considers 20 million viewers "bad". I think it's Grey's, who has so vigorously advertised itself as number one for the past few weeks that has egg on its face. Its advertising has been intense and it's everywhere, and yet they're on par with CSI, a show that's four and a half years older, and has been drained by two spinoffs, countless ripoffs and has a cast whose youngest member is over 30.

*shrug*

I'm enjoying the show.

12. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

i don't think csi has been drained by the spin offs...the episodes are so location specific and have more character stuff than LV. Plus a lot of people started to watch LV (like me, I saw miami first) because of the spin offs. Plus miami is the number one show in the world...creating an empire instead of just a successful show.

13. Alyssa

Alyssa CSI Level Two

I have to step in a little here. I do not know a single person in real life who stopped watching CSI because of GSR. I know several people who stopped watching mid-season 6 because they just weren't as dedicated to the show. I'll admit, season 6 was a definite low point for the show.

I think the ratings went down for a lot of reasons, but the fact is that the ratings were in decline long before GSR went canon. Season 6 was just not strongly written. My two favourite episodes of the season were written by my favourite writer on the team. "Gum Drops" and "Roshamama." They were great episodes because they were wonderfully written. The rest of the season really fell short.

This season, we have much better writing. I'm not looking at ships, whatever, I'm looking at writing. Because, while I'm a GSR fan, I was a CSI fan first. I didn't come into the show looking for a ship to ship. I came into it because the writing intrigued me, and, especially in the earlier episodes, the crew took risks.

Season 7, writing-wise, has been far superior to season 6. Yes, there have been two episodes for me that felt not so great, but that's ok. You can't expect every episode to be perfect. I haven't been a fan of a single show where every episode was incredible.

I know that the ratings war is a huge issue, more with the networks than with us. Grey's has a strong following, as does CSI. However, CSI lost a lot of viewers last year with lackluster writing. I really don't think GSR played as a big a factor as people think, and it's unfortunate that people would turn off the show because of GSR, especially since it's such a minute part. You can skip the ten seconds they actually act like a couple to watch the rest of the episode, and if one wants, imagine one or the other dying horribly, leaving the other to rest in someone elses' arms...

Anyways, I know that CSI is no longer the #1 rated show, and it makes sense that they're not boasting, yet. They can't really boast because they did not win the night. That's the key, here. They may have had more viewers, but they did not win the night.

Do I expect ratings to change any? I hope so. I hope people will tune back over to CSI to realize how wonderful this season has been, for the most part. I think there's a chance for some improvement, and if they don't reclaim the #1 spot, I'm not too distresed. I mean, American Idol kicks its butt every year in the young demographics, anyway.

America is more and more drifting from stand-alone episode television. It was a big draw back in the day, because there were fewer networks, less access to cable, etc. However, now, everyone is struggling to hold onto viewers, to keep their attention, and in the age of reality television and serialized shows, it's rough out there.

See, VCRs helped push the serialization of television shows forward. You could record an episode and catch up later if you missed one. Just hit the "record" button. Now we have TiVo's, streaming TV chips for our computers, and an array of other ways to track television. Serialization is the big deal, as is reality programming. CSI is a more traditional, stand-alone episodic show.

CSI: Miami is a huge hit because it's so glitzy, so actiony, so different. I, personally, can't stand it, but I understand the appeal, especially to a global audience. It's not brooding and dark, most the time. You're usually in beautiful locations during the day with guns blazing and actively chasing down bad guys rather than sitting in a lab.

CSI, the original, is doing fine, I think. Yes, it's down from where it was, but it's still holding its own against one of the most popular serialized shows on television which is in the same timeslot, no less. There was a lot of speculation, early on, about whether two giants could occupy the same night, and they have. They really have.

So, yes, CSI has done better in the past, but I think they're doing ok right now. The quality is up from last season, and that gives me hope.

14. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

okay i have one thing to add. i went to see a Grey's Talk kinda website, and y'all know what? ours is SO MUCH BETTER it's not even funny.

really i need to appreciate our Mods and Admins more for how GREAT this site is.

15. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

i love miami, it is so much fun!

of course you are not going to see the big deal of GSR, duh... :rolleyes:

read the comments about it on the 'jump the shark' website, there are a lot of nasty comments about GSR...

I almost stopped watching LV because of it. GSR ruined the finale, I will never watch it again, and now sara and grissom are attached to the hip, it is so annoying!

The only reason I kept watching is because WP is in the show more, but now he is always with sara, so that ruins grissom's character :rolleyes: and now he is leaving soon..so i will probably stop watching...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.