Ratings: CSI vs ...

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Waiting, Oct 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. angeldreams

angeldreams Witness

Re: CSI Ratings versus Grey's Anatomy

Yeah, he seems to nice for it but since I wrote it up for someone I thought I'd share it here too.

2. brass_lives

brass_lives Prime Suspect

That's certainly true of the people I know personally (mostly co-workers) who have switched to Greys. We (about 15 of us) just had a conversation about it over lunch the other day. The ones who switched said they would just catch CSI in reruns. They like talking about GA because it is the new, hot thing that "everyone" is talking about.

I find all this talk of CSI's supposed drop in quality this season and its effects on the ratings completely baffling. Greys is a soap opera. The people I mentioned above acknowledged that fact rather sheepishly, but they still want to watch it because it's fun. Certainly not because it's a quality show.

Personally, I believe CSI has been more consistant and entertaining than much of seasons 5 and 6. I hope they keep it up.

3. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

As I stated on the WP thread.. no way. :mad: he's to classy to throw a "tantrum".. not his style.. he's a calm..cool..collected type guy.. I don't believe that anymore than I believe in "Bigfoot" or other random gossip..hearsay..and false rumors... it's total BS :rolleyes:

PS.. and when was this supposed to have happened? he's back in Rhode Island rehearsing for his "play".. and could probably care less right now about "ratings" think about it!!!!!!

4. coolcatz

coolcatz Head of the Swing Shift

personally i think it is possible (but being in a trash rag was probably quoted out of context or exaggerated). the reason being is wp has never been afraid of speaking his mind.

5. allmaple

allmaple Judge

if it did happen, maybe he was just cranky or it was a joke. id like to know who this 'source' is :lol: theyve mentioned they yell and curse and scream on set, so maybe he did do it but not to be mean.
    if people are switching to greys only because its the 'it' show, then theyre missing out. csi has really upped the quality this year. so if ever your coworkers are talking about who slept with who the other night on greys you can set them straight with how interesting the case on csi was ;)

6. hodges_alias_47

hodges_alias_47 Police Officer

I just a promo GA ... they're not even in the hospital tonight. They're on a hike?!?!

7. CSI_fan247

CSI_fan247 Dead on Arrival

I stopped watching Grey's Anatomy when everybody was sleeping with everybody. i only watch CSI!!!

8. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

Well, and this is reflected in the ratings here, in Canada I hear no one talk about GA. I'm not bashing the show, it's just fact. I have one friend who switched to Grey's (they play at separate times here - GA first, CSI second, but she has a TON of studying, so she and I both picked one show a week. Me CSI, her Grey's) and it's just because she buys the CSI DVDs later and watches them in the summer when she has a break. So she still likes the show, but I think it's the serial nature of Grey's that's a nice escape from studying for her.

For me, I've moved away from serial shows because I so often find the ending to be disappointing. Medium is a great example of a procedural show in a serial setting, and my mom and I love it.

And as I said - is there someone who believes Secrets and Flies was higher quality than Burnout? That Room Service was more interesting than Built to Kill Part 2? I remember the advertisements last year being flashier (how can a virgin get pregnant??!!) but more than that, there was nothing important competing in CSI's timeslot. People watch shows out of habit. And a lot of people watch certain shows because nothing else is on and it's habit to watch that.

I'll agree that the quality on CSI dipped after Season 4, but it's definitely back now. Perhaps we're watching people who were disappointed with Season 6 moving on and not giving 7 a chance. But, personal opinion, no way were the examples from Season 6 better than the ones from 7.

And again - if Grey's were the better show, people would WANT to watch it again and again in re-runs.

Agreed. It seems far more likely that he said it jokingly or with a kind of dryness, rather than screaming it at his crew - if it happened at all. He's often said he doesn't care one way or the other about ratings.

WP does what he wants to do - he explained about taking a TV movie over Platoon when given the chance because he thought the TV movie would be more fun. That doesn't sound like someone desperate for ratings.

ETA

A quick update: CSI's numbers were a little higher last week than originally reported. At final count, Grey's was above CSI by 0.256 million viewers. A pretty big drop considering it took in roughly 6 million more than CSI in its premiere, and CSI has stayed fairly steady.

9. Hottie_Cath

Hottie_Cath Corpse

I find the S7 episodes as boring as the eps in Season 6, I only watched 3 Season 7 episodes I don't care about all the others I skipped. This Season is even more predictable--lemme guess in Post Mortem Grissom worked with Sara (and then they tossed in a little Greg) and then Catherine worked with either Nick, Sofia or Brass. I bet that the same scenario would happen in the next episodes. :rolleyes: The lack of variety in the character interaction is a snooze-magnet, plus the cases are lackluster.
    There's a rumor that Fox might transfer The OC to Wednesdays lets see if CSI would keep their lead.

10. JangoBear

JangoBear Lab Technician

First, which one is better than the other is subjective. I thought "Burnout" was excellent but the point is far fewer people are watching CSI than last year and that's a major problem.

Fast national ratings for "Post-Mortem" are posted over at pifeedback.com

Total viewers:
    Grey's Anatomy 20.57 million
    CSI 20.47 million

Not good numbers at all for a show that avgeraged around 27 million at this time last year. :rolleyes:

11. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

Here's the problem with that statement: it was you who said that the reason CSI's numbers had dropped was due to a drop in quality. So I think which one is better is directly related. If it was a drop in quality that caused Secrets and Flies to get 28 million and Burnout to get 21, then that would mean that Secrets and Flies had to be better than Burnout. You said:

So that implies that you believe the episodes themselves have caused the drop. How is that possible if the one from Season 7 was better than the one from Season 6?

Doesn't that say that it is not quality of episodes that caused the change in ratings, but rather competition?

And speaking of which, I think Grey's has the bigger worry about quality - they started out this season with 26 million and they've lost almost 6 million viewers. That's a pretty big drop in 7 episodes. CSI has stayed pretty much steady all season so far.

So that means the people watching CSI, for the most part, have been happy with what they've seen. The people watching Grey's, each and every week (because their numbers haven't gone up once) are increasingly becoming displeased with the show.

There is a quality reason for ratings, but it's not for CSI.

CSI started the season with 22.6 million viewers. Grey's had 25.4.

Grey's has lost 20% of its viewers since this season started.

CSI? 9%. And more people usually tune into the premieres than continue watching the show anyway.

So 20% of the people who watched Grey's premiere weren't satisfied. 9% of CSI's audience felt the same.

I think that speaks pretty loudly.

12. allmaple

allmaple Judge

i think the point being made is that last year the quality of episodes dropped slightly, so viewers left and have not come back. does anyone know what the ratings are like this year compared to the last couple of episodes of season 6? that might be better to compare to.
    i dont have any of my stats textbooks or anything, but i bet the 100 000 viewer difference between the two shows in not significant (ie could be do to sampling error alone). since they use such a small proportion of viewers to estimate their numbers it could have been either show that actually had the most viewers

13. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

And it's a fine point, allmaple and one I actually agree with - I think the dullness, overall, of Season 6 with clunkers like Poppin' Tags, Bodies in Motion and Room Service, may have caused people to go, "I won't even check out Season 7 - I'll switch to Grey's". The funny thing is that, looking at the numbers, most people seem to be tuning out of both rather than picking one over the other now.

But in any case - I agree with that. I think that people became bored with Season 6 and haven't given Season 7 a chance.

The problem I had with the statement above was simply that the claim had been that it was a problem with Season 7's quality or the way Season 7 was going. And I just don't think that's the case. I think people gave up after a particularly boring season.

FWIW - the finale ratings of CSI were so low because it shared a timeslot with the Will and Grace series finale. I have a friend who also chats online about CSI, who owns the DVDs and who loves the show, but she chose to watch Will and Grace and tape CSI.

As far as the number division between CSI and Grey's - those are also just the fast nationals, and numbers have been known to shift up to a million viewers in either direction. So CSI could very well end up with more viewers.

The other great irony with all of this is that in trying to beat each other, both shows have lost the top spot. I wouldn't be surprised if they come 3rd and 4th or lower this week in the final ratings tally.

One of them just needs to say Uncle and move. The OC, which ended up being the third wheel in all of this, has already, after 2 episodes, defaulted to Wednesdays. So what is everyone watching? Where are the 8 million people who tuned out of both CSI and Grey's?

14. sherlockanne

sherlockanne Lab Technician

Oh I found this article on TV.com saying that on Thursday, CSI pulled in more viewers overall than Grey's...

15. Hottie_Cath

Hottie_Cath Corpse

There's an article on MediaLife Magazine that stated that CSI started to lose its viewers in the second half of season 6 and that CSI was doing good during the first half of season 6.. so Jango has a point, we can't put all the blame to Greys cuz their viewers were already leaving since the disappointing episodes of the last half of season 6 were aired.

That on TV.com is just the fast national ratings. The final ratings were the ones Jango posted.

From Hollywood Reporter 11/10: "Yet "Grey's" seems to be having an adverse effect on "CSI," which also had its lowest original episode of the season Thursday night. It's down 32% compared its November 2005 sweeps performance of 10.1/25."

Its the sweeps month and they lost like 1/3 of their viewers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.