Ratings: CSI vs ...

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Waiting, Oct 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ollieuan

ollieuan Lab Technician

Re: CSI Ratings versus Grey's Anatomy

My issue with this is that what you say is 100% opinion. I happen to think that this season has been largely unimpressive thus far. Burnout was the first ep I was even marginally impressed with. All I can really say is that CSI is down 27% from last season because it is of lower quality.

I have absolutely nothing to back this up with. It's an opinion. However, the numbers speak for themselves.

Is the show still doing well? Yes, very. Is it better than many other shows out there. Well, it used to be, anyway. But, in my humble opinion, that doesn't mean the show isn't currently falling far below the standards it set for itself in previous seasons.

YMMV

2. Alyssa

Alyssa CSI Level Two

I think it's expected for the show to be down considering it's against another powerhouse. Besides "American Idol," "CSI" has not really had any hard competition in its time slot for a very long time. I mean, I'm almost surprised CSI is doing as well as it is considering I have many friends who were interested in both shows last season. I don't watch "Grey's," but my stepsis loves it. It's her Thursday night show. So, I'm not surprised the numbers are down.

I mean, we all have our opinions on the season thus far. I'm lovin' it, m'self. But, I'm only one viewer and my viewing doesn't even count in the ratings. However, I think, considering there is another huge show on the same night in the same timeslot, I'm proud of CSI for hanging on.

I mean, the number one and number two shows on the same night in the same timeslot? Major kudos to both shows!

Personally, I am a fan of seasons 1-3 the most. Four, 5 and 6 didn't really grab me as much. This season, I haven't been disapointed in an ep, yet. I've had a few, "Meh" eps, but no ep has really been terrible to me. That's more than I could say at this point last year.

Number 2 aint bad (Yes, I wrote aint). Personally, I love the show this season. My mother, stepfather and father are all consistently watching every week for the first time ever. I mean, they are all actively enjoying this season in a way that they have to be home on Thursday nights, or call me and beg me to record it. It hasn't been like that any other season. In my family, that's pretty cool considering our differing tastes in television. So, I see that as a success, even if the ratings don't count us.

And I've rambled. Sorry. :)

3. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

You're right, but my question is this - do you really think that the episodes of Season 6 were better? If not, then the numbers don't really reflect any change in the quality of the show at all.

You're right, though - it was opinion, and I'm sorry that I was stating it as fact.

Definitely agreed. I mean, CSI may be getting "beaten" by GA each week, but its only ever been number 3 twice so far. That means it's being more watched than any other show.

Even the new ones with tons of hype.

4. ollieuan

ollieuan Lab Technician

I won't deny that Season 6 got off to a slow start, but I do think I enjoyed the first half of the season more than I've enjoyed this season so far. The only eps that come to mind that I HATED were Bite me and Room Service.

I also had my reservations about ABRTI, but it was executed quite nicely, and who DOESN'T love a little Jim angst every now and then. Lord knows we don't see much of it. :)

I'm not gonna sit here and knock CSI. The show had a great 6 years (well, 5 if you don't count the fiasco that was season 5). However, I did have my reservations after the S6 finale, and I'm afraid what I've seen of this season so far has done nothing to eliminate them.

If people really enjoy a show they continue to watch it. They don't give it up to watch something else. If they do they were never true fans in the first place. A good deal of the ratings drop (though not all, I'll concede) MUST be attributed to what 27% of viewers believed to be as a decline in the quality of the show.

Millions of viewers don't turn off a show they love just so they can watch Meredith skank up the screen (though I'll admit GA does appeal to me sometimes--it's good!). If nothing else they could tape or Tivo it. The Nielsens reflect that now. The numbers just don't add up if you attribute it to competition alone.

5. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

I agree, they don't completely account for the Grey's Anatomy change, seeing as Grey's shares almost equal numbers with CSI, but I think a good portion of people will watch a show just because it's popular and want something to talk about the next day. GA is the new, hot thing.

The fact that 21 million people are still watching CSI after the countless rip-offs, spin-offs, news coverages and competing shows says that it's certainly still very relevant and still very popular.

But not necessary popular enough for that one-third of people who just watch the watercooler show.

If you type in "Grey's Anatomy" and "jump the shark" you get a LOT of responses, and all of them relevant to "the season finale was awful" "season 2 was terrible" "this season is boring". CSI? Not nearly as many, and not nearly as harsh.

I don't think Season 6 deserved the ratings that it got - people were just tuning in because it was the popular thing to do. I'll admit that there were enough episodes last season that made me want to switch to something else, but there was no option.

Perhaps people who were bored by Season 6 were merely waiting for that option, and because they've been watching GA, they really aren't aware of CSI's quality this season one way or the other.

To refresh everyones' memories, here are the first 6 episodes of Season 6:

1) Bodies in Motion
    2) Room Service
    3) Bite Me
    4) Shooting Stars
    5) Gum Drops
    6) Secrets and Flies.

For me (opinion), the only one that was fantastic was Gum Drops. Shooting Stars wasn't bad, but the other four? Boring.

Here are the first six of Season 7:

1) Built To Kill, Part One
    2) BTK2
    3) Toe Tags
    4) Fannysmackin'
    5) Double-Crossed
    6) Burnout

Of those, the only one I didn't like was Built to Kill Part 1, mostly because it was dull. Built to Kill 2 was interesting, Toe Tags was a really unique spin and I thought it was executed well, Fannysmackin' was very well done, Double-Crossed while slowly paced was interesting, and Burnout was fantastic.

Did Season 6 have amazing episodes? Yes. But it was lost in a sea of dull, uninspired concepts.

Season 7 is trying new things, and I think achieving them quite well. Other than a minor plotline that so far has had no long-lasting effect on any case so far or any particular scene, I don't see a decline in quality.

6. JangoBear

JangoBear Lab Technician

Last year at this time the 6th episode was "Secrets and Files" It scored a total viewer of 28.45 million viewers. CSI averaged between the Fall and Winter Holidays an average of 27 million total viewers.

"Burnout" scored one 20 million viewers (final Nielsen numbers come out today.) The massive drop in viewers is not simply because of Grey's Anatomy. Actually Grey's is settling in at their post Super Bowl show ratings. CSI's drop is coming from a large percentage of people simply no longer watching the show. The change in storylines, the continued lack of team chemistry from the earlier seasons has turned a lot of people off of the show.

CSI's ratings woes will continue once American Idol starts up in January. Last year it would place 3rd behind AI, now it will probably fall even further back. If TPTB don't stop the bleeding, CSI could fall to the unthinkable first run episodes only scoring in the teens of viewers. They're getting dangerously close right now :rolleyes:

7. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

So, Jango, are you then saying that you thought Secrets and Flies was a better episode than Burnout?

8. allmaple

allmaple Judge

well at least we still got a nomination for this years peoples choice awards! but of course, how could we not ;) pretty soon it will be time for us to do our part and vote for the best drama on tv! youll all vote csi right? :p :lol:

9. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

This is quite the thread. Everyone makes valid and interesting points. I just wanted to say:
    Agreed! Weather Gary was doing other things or not, I still miss him on the show.

10. hodges_alias_47

hodges_alias_47 Police Officer

I love you signature allmaple!

11. allmaple

allmaple Judge

why thank you! it sounds dirty, but its not (ok it is :p)

i can handle csi being second in the ratings, thats fine i know its a good show. but i dont think its fair that such a new show as greys gets actor nominations for the peoples choice awards and csi doesnt. i dont know why they never nominate anyone from csi, i always assumed because it was an ensemble cast, but isnt greys too? or do they actually have a prominent lead actor and actress?
    also mad that ive heard rumours patrick dempsey might be peoples sexiest man of the year this year :( hes alright, but hes got nothing on our csi guys! :lol:

12. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

I agree about the man of the year, allmaple. I don't get the big deal about 'mcdreamy'. Don't get me wrong, he's far from ugly. But compare him to, Say, Gary or George... he doesn't stand a chance, IMO.
    As for Grey's being lead or ensamble, it's hard to say. Technically, Grey is the lead, but it's very close to being ensamble. It really could be classified as either.

13. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

I think that Grey's started out very much as having Meredith be an Ally McBeal in a hospital, but apparently (and this isn't me speaking, but what I've read in articles), just like Ally she's one of the least-liked lead characters years.

So they may have recently switched to a more ensemble way of doing things. But Grey does all of the narration, and her problems are usually center stage... they're just not that interesting. lol.

I'd say it's more like Sex and the City now - the narration, the characters, but the show is really about Carrie even if everyone gets equal screentime.

As for People's Choice, who knows? I suppose as long as there's a voting cap put on it so that cookies can't be deleted, the voting will be fair, which is all I can ask for.

I'm going to out myself as a total nerd here for a second, but CSI is an ensemble very much in the same way Lord of the Rings was. Did those actors deserve nominations? Yes. But only Ian McKellan ever got a nod, and didn't win. I think if there was one actor who stood out above the others on CSI on a regular basis, it would wreck the dynamic of the team.

14. angeldreams

angeldreams Witness

From a gossip mag so take it with a grain of salt...

Tension crackled on the CSI set after top dog William Petersen heard Grey's Anatomy had whipped his ratings-monster by a whipping 3 million viewers - and he suddenly exploded at an assistant director who kept rushing scene-starts... yelling, "Rolling"! before the star was in place. "Time Out!" screamed Petersen. "Maybe this is the reason Grey's Anatomy is kicking our ass, people! Maybe we're just phoning it in, just to get the next setup. We're losing quality .. JUST TO GET HOME A COUPLE OF HOURS EARLIER!" You could hear a pin drop on the set as Petersen struggled to compose himself. Moments later, he warned the assistant director: "From now on, don't speak until I'm ready".

15. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

Painting WP as the evil Tyrant has been pretty popular for a while now. They did a report on advertising within shows, and he supposedly threw a hissy-fit about Denalis being featured as giant flashlights just to sell the cars.

*shrug* - It could be true, I wasn't there, but considering the money he pours into small theaters, the number of people - crew and cast alike - who talk about what a community he likes to make his working environment... I just have a hard time seeing that one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.