Grissom&Sara #23 - Hot, Butt-Kicking, Chainsaw Wielding Love

Discussion in 'Shipper Central' started by Reeble, Oct 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geekprincess

geekprincess Dead on Arrival

Re: Grissom&Sara #23 - Hot, Butt-Kicking, Chainsaw Wielding

*sniffs and sticks out lower lip* But I LOVE Grissom when he gets all comforting and protective...he's so darn cute! Actually, now that I think about it, I might like him best when he gets really protective like in "Strip-Strangler" or "Committed" or really comforting like in "Nesting Dolls"...he starts hovering on the border of downright HOT. *gulps* Oh, crap. Does this mean I have WPHS now? Ah, well...I was already half a goner to begin with. Seriously, though, I think Grissom still has the protective instinct towards Sara; it's just that the dynamic has changed now that they're in a relationship. Before, I think he got more worried because he really didn't know what she was thinking or whether she'd break down, a la "Nesting Dolls"; now he's more attuned to her feelings and gives her strength more credit to boot, like sarahvma said. He doesn't worry as much. Not that that means he wouldn't go into full protective overdrive should she need that.

Ha ha...that's pretty much how I felt after watching "Lady Heather's Box" and "Formalities"/"Unbearable".

I for one fully admit that Sara's my favorite character, not Grissom, so I suppose I do make more of an effort to defend her and understand the reasoning behind what she says and does than I do with him. However, I am willing to give him a bit of understanding, if not cut him a break altogether, in the Sofia/Teri Miller/Lady Heather cases, because I don't think he was flirting around just for the heck of it or to hurt Sara. In all three cases, Teri/Lady Heather in particular, I think he may have seen what he did as a genuine attempt to find out if there was something more than friendship, or if the relationship had the potential to go anywhere. However, once Seasons 3-5 kicked in, which means once he got to Sofia and the later part of his, well, association with Lady Heather, I think he realized the depth of his feelings for Sara and became afraid; like he said in "Butterflied," he didn't have to go through the "get-to-know-you"/first dates phase, because he already knew he could have a deep and even lifelong relationship with her. He was dead scared that once he started the ball rolling with Sara, so to speak, his feelings would overwhelm him and he wouldn't be able to let go of her. He wouldn't be completely in control of his feelings or his life any more. When he went out with the other women, he was on a "shallow" enough level that he had the chance of avoiding that. With Sara -- no chance at all. So in a way, I think he did what he did with Teri/Lady Heather/Sofia for much the same reasons that Sara went out with Hank. Both were trying to deal, although in unhealthy ways, with Grissom's lack of ability to confront and act on his feelings. I honestly don't think Grissom ever meant to hurt Sara; it just happened that way because of people's unique ability to do the greatest hurt to the ones they care about the most. Plus, let's face it, Grissom could really suck at dealing with the whole feelings/relationships thing. Of course, being a crazy romantic, I knew they'd get over themselves eventually. They just weren't completely and geekily complete without their other halves. Sigh.

OK, I seriously can't believe I wrote -- well, rambled -- all that, but that's what you get when I've pulled an all-nighter and produced the crappiest paper of my life. Ah, well. It makes sense in my psychotic head. Peace.

~ geekprincess

2. Reeble

Reeble CSI Level Three

You trying to start something, Sporter? We can take this outside.

Poor Adz. We really shouldn't be torturing her like this but...oh well.

Welcome back, fogi!

Exactly. To tell you the truth, I'm kinda missing pre-canon GSR. I mean, don't get me wrong; I'm loving every bit of squee-worthy canon scenes, but I miss the angst. "I couldn't do it", "You don't respect me", "Want to have dinner with me?" "No."... All of these moments are a part of GSR. I can understand that now they're together there's less of the push/pull scenario going on, but I want to see the writers give us something to chew. Something juicy (ew, that's another word to go on the list of "Things Never to Say") and something...dramatic. I sometimes forget that CSI classified as a Drama show. That's why I think a shocking kiss scene would give CSI its umph back. TPTB got their groove back with cases, but the character plotlines could still use a little more "Oh my god!" scenes. You know what I mean? It would make CSI a show that on Fridays you would go to your friends and say, "Did you see CSI?!".

But hey, I'm not complaining. I'm enjoying every little bit of GSR fluff.

I found these two pictures in my Photobucket and noticed the symmetry. Mmmm, symmetry.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. theatresporter

theatresporter Lab Technician

I will take you DOWN TOWN. And while I'm not one to hit a girl, Reeble is a boy's name so I will totally kick your ass.

I totally know what you mean. It's almost like the relationship was more exciting when they were in their constant limbo of 'will they/won't they'. Because we know TPTB won't break them up after this long...I guess the cute scenes don't give us as much to talk about. Despite how great they are.

4. kinkapoodles

kinkapoodles Judge

Ok guys, it's cute but please :(...the spoiler box is for spoilers, not for teasing. Gaahh, they're annoying enough as it is (my eyes hurt from reading them :rolleyes:). Let's just use them for actual spoilers. ;)

5. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

THANK YOU 1CSIMfan! you confirmed my supposition that it was all just BS. i knew it wasn't real, MWAHA.

now i can sleep ... correction - study all night without any disturbing thoughts.

oh, and y'all know what??? i'm gonna READ those false spoilers. prepare for a revenge. i'll fix some kind of a naked billy icon using pics from billycrotch.com.

prepare. prepare to DIE. *Saruman's laughter*

P.S. i'll come and comment on GSR later.

P.P.S. i love da geeks and i want tongue action.

thank you.

6. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

Yes, thank you, 1CSIMfan ;) ;)

lol.

Agreed, and we really should stop.

;) ;)

I think we forget, in the mourning of pre-canon GSR, that for a LOT of shippers, it was reaching the point of no return. Had the finale not gone through, YTDaW would probably be a ghost town. So now that we have it, obviously nostalgia is king.

Oh, Adzix - just to warn you, some of those are real. I don't want you to stumble on the real ones, just FYI.

And how DARE you use billycrotch.com?

7. Jenjac

Jenjac Dead on Arrival

This is terrible but about the possible Tai Chi scene. I can seriously picture Grissom in an old black t-shirt and a pair of black fleecy trakky dacks with the bum hanging down around the knees. Can't wait to see what he is dressed in. What episode is the Tai Chi supposed to be in? I hope Sara is somewhere in the scene.

8. Jasmine

Jasmine Lab Technician

Hi guys i've been out for like 3 days and i had to read like 4 pages....geeze guys.... oh but them fake spoilers were sooo funny!! :lol:

Anyways i had to post something on the last poll about the scene with the loud music or something like that, i think that Sara was just covering for Greg. I do believe that Sara will put music in the lab while she's working but not that loud. I think that Greg was the one that put it and when Grissom came in and say something she just covered for him. And yeah i was back and forth on this one cause i was like but then if Sara does cover for him then maybe Greg will suspect something on why Grissom didnt tell her nothing cause of the music and blah blah but im going to stick with this one and say that Sara was just covering for Greg.

9. forensicsgirl

forensicsgirl Captain

Thanks Reebs *blows kisses*

Speaking of symmetry, it dawned on me this morning that we got another moment of symmetry with Burn Out. Way back in season 1 or 2 (i think - i can't remember the ep due to my brain throbbing this morning) Sara walks into the layout room, where Grissom is listening to opera, and Sara switches it off. Anyone who can name the ep for me gets cookies. ;) But oh, the beautiful symmetry of geek love. Now all Sara has to do is bring Grissom a cup of tea... :)

Regarding the current debate of whether or not we go easy on Sara and are too hard on Grissom... well, perhaps as a fandom, that's true. For me, I'm pretty much a fence sitter (aren't I always ;) ) In this particular instance (ie: The Music Scene) I don't particularly think either was in the wrong. Grissom felt shitty because he had a headache (hey, after the past two or three months, I can totally relate) - He was a little short with Greg, which was understandable - something he shouldn't have done, but come on, we're all a little short with people when we feel crappy, especially when our skulls feel three-sizes too small in relation to our brains (again, totally speaking from current experience here)

Again, Sara called him out on it, but in a pretty gentle, respectful way. She didn't snap. She didn't do it in front of anyone. She simply reminded Grissom of the tough time Greggo was having, and suggested he try being a little nicer. Which, given the fact that he didn't argue back or anything, I think he took on board.

Reebs, you totally don't have to take that. I'll hold Tom down which you get the first few kicks in. How's that ;) :lol: JK Sporter *blows kisses*

I think that's because we have 6 years of angst conditioning behind us, so it's difficult to change pace and start having full on discussion about 'what that cute, fluffy scene meant'. And, beyond that, they're a couple now, so there's no need to ask the question "so, do you think they are/might/will ever get together?" Because that question has now been answered with a resounding CANON.

With the angst, there was text, context and subtext to consider. Even with the lighter scenes in the Pre-CANON days, we still had to consider text, context and subtext. These days, the text might change (cute - veggie burger, cuter - "Dear", cutest - "pick on someone your own size/you volunteering?"), but the context and subtext, generally speaking, remains the same - ie: They are in a relationship. So it kind of cuts down on the need for analysis. Basically, we have ONE thing left to answer (other than obvious, ahem... size issues :devil: ) And that is WHEN DID THEY GET TOGETHER???

10. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

We ARE endlessly hilarious, it's true.

Oh, and Jenjac - if Adz could read that, she would cut you for defaming the Grissom.

The note about the turning off of the music is good - I can't actually remember the episode. I want to say Too Tough to Die, but I know that's wrong.

I found it interesting, though, that in the pilot Grissom listened to Pink Floyd, yet he seems to pretty much only listen to classical music on the show now.

I think now instead of "will they get together" the elephant in the room that we're afraid of addressing is "Will they break up?"

And a scene like the music scene, where it's not apparent angst, but it isn't all fluffy bunnies, does little to quell that. I think that before there was a relationship, it was easy to have a little more fun with it - with make-believe.

I notice that a lot of GSR fanfics coming out right now are VERY realistic. I think the fandom isn't necessarily having as much fun with the pairing as we used to, but at the same time, Dayna said something while we were watching Fannysmackin' and I summed it up with this:

when the show is this good, you don't feel the need to analyze and you don't feel the need to fill in the blanks.

When the GSR is happy, you don't need to write a story about them going home and doing it six ways from Sunday cuz... they probably do.

The fantasy is gone, and I suppose that while we have less to talk about, the center of this should always have been the show, and I'd rather have a very well-made show.

11. ziggystarduzt

ziggystarduzt CSI Level Two

I think we're easier on Sara for a number of reasons. First of all, I think that the majority of us (with apologies to Fabian!) are women, and we likely identify with the character of Sara more than we do with Grissom. We may find it easier to relate and understand where Sara's coming from when she says or does things that are not necessarily "good". We can understand her motivation and put ourselves in her shoes easily. However, Grissom is male, and a STRANGE male at that. It's harder to understand his motivation, and thus harder to forgive him when he errs.

Also, when considering what Grissom is doing at any given time, we're likely to compare the scenario to our own relationships, and judge him based on how we'd react if a boyfriend behaved that way towards us. It becomes easier to justify Sara's reactions than Grissoms, as his emotions seems so alien to us.

I'm still a tomboy though, damnit, so don't nobody be callin' me a girly girl type. *scoff*

12. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

But isn't it interesting how we tend to also dislike the characters that our character dislikes? I just mean, I think there's more to it than sex, because a lot of Sara fans dislike Sofia and/or Catherine and vice-versa. Obviously I'm not referring to the Salsas or the Thongs. lol.

Perhaps because a lot of us identify with some of her traits. I think that Sara would've been very different had she not been brought up the way she was - a lot of her negatives like her temper, might have been diffused or at least reduced. And so while I don't approve of some of the things she does (ABRTI2 being my example du jour, it seems), I think we also probably cut her a break because we know a lot of it was her environment growing up.

Her traits, on their own, aren't bad, but like anyone else's they do get ignited from time to time, hers' moreso.

I thought the interaction between Catherine and Sara during Lady Heather's Box last night was interesting. And I never realized that that may have been why Catherine was so happy to throw Sara off of the After the Show case. Sara, rightfully, told Catherine that she shouldn't be processing the scene, and then got mad when she was leading the witness (okay, so it was her daughter, but she was still leading.)

ETA And isn't it interesting that Grissom also has a hard time dealing with whether to be a co-worker to Catherine or a friend? End of ETA

The problem with Sara is the same problem with Grissom - 99.9% of the time, they're right. Sofia was violating the law by being in Grissom's office. Catherine should not have been handling evidence.

On Grissom side of things, Catherine was the one who'd get more out of the suspect in After the Show, and Greg really didn't need to have his music up that loud, and he HAD spoken to him about it.

But the two of them - call it lousy social skills, call it parents who didn't call them on it for whatever reason - are really really really bad at explaining themselves. Or the tone they use when they try.

And ironically, I think that that may be one of the reasons why we don't see them getting into fights now - they understand that. Sara wasn't "mad" at Grissom in Burnout just like he wasn't mad at her.

He said something harshly, she shouldn't have called him on it (because it made him forcibly point out that he was not going to reprimand Sara for the same things as Greg), but both of them were coming from a logical, reasonable place.

Did Nick deserve the promotion? Yes. Did Grissom explain himself well to Sara? Definitely not. Did Sara start the conversation well? Uh... no.

So I think that line is hard to draw with these two. And that may be why so many GSR scenes are hard to classify or interpret. They're not simple people.

And the other thing is that when Sara screws up trying to explain herself, it's that she's almost too passionate about it. She gets too worked up. Grissom, on the other hand, acts like he doesn't care. Of the two, I'd rather believe someone was being mean because it meant something to them.

With your endless array of silk nighties?

13. ziggystarduzt

ziggystarduzt CSI Level Two

Well, I think that you relate to the female character you relate to most, and then yeah, kind of agree with her thoughts and feelings. Cause I totally relate to Sara and totally dislike Catherine and Sofia. I don't, however, have any attraction in any way to Grissom. *shrugs*

Very good point, anyway. And I missed a whole freaking page again. You guys post more than any other thread on Talk, I'm sure of it. argh.

I only have one silk nightie, thank you very much, and it was a birthday gift from Taylor. You know damn well I practically live in sweats.

Oh, and my brother says to tell you he wants to make you a potato cause he figures he's better at it than me.

14. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

I go back and forth with the last two, and I think that has more to do with the fact that I don't identify with them, but occasionally they do something that impresses me or at least makes them 'better'.

With Sara... yeah - I guess maybe some people do like rooting for the underdog as well. It's almost "easy" to hate Sara, because all you have to do is just misunderstand her.

It's easy to go, "She has a hot temper, therefore she's a bitch" - and I don't particularly like that kind of dismissive behavior in life, either.

Well, the person who spoke to me on YTDaW said that a lot of Sara fans support GSR because it's what Sara wants. In other words, I guess, if Sara had truly loved Nick or Greg or Warrick or Ecklie or Hodges or Pet Rock, we would've been OH! Pet Rosara! OTP!!!!

I don't totally know that I agree with that, but I do think that we're far less willing to accept Grissom with other women.

If that we're true, we'd have more posts than any other shipper thread on SC. Which we don't. So there.

Don't listen to her lies, y'all. She's all petticoats and silk gloves and Japanese fans.

To eat or as a decorational item?

15. Alyssa

Alyssa CSI Level Two

I think I was harder on Sara earlier on. I mean, she is my favourite character, and has been pretty much from the beginning. That being said, Sara drove me nuts in the beginning with the way she went at trying to get Grissom. She tried to impress him (remember "murder central?") to get his attention, and it drove me nuts because she just didn't get it. Granted, he was a control freak ("Strip Strangler" comes to mind... the episode where he called Sara in on her day off then assigned her to a solo caes....).

I guess, I'm easier on Sara because she grew up and developed and changed so much during these six seasons. Grissom, on the other hand, remained stagnant or degraded a lot until Season 6. I think "Grave Danger" was a wake up call for a lot of them, and I noticed Grissom being more involved with his team in Season 6, and especially now in season 7.

I don't think Sara ever stopped wanting Grissom, but I think she did get to a point where she realized her life would go on if she never got him. However, when she got to that point ("Snakes"), he started to realize just how badly he needed her in his life, and just how much he had mucked things up.

Then, there was "Nesting Dolls" where Grissom finally started to understand and realize what she had been going through. And, as others have said, I think he felt a degree of guilt as he sat there holding her hand, because he could see his own mistakes in how he treated her in the past.

I'm not as hard on Grissom, now, as I used to be. However, if it came down to choosing Gris or Sara, I'd want Sara to be happy more than I'd want him to be happy. Sara waited around for years, she put up with his controlling nature, she worked through those days when she had to give up being out with her date. She put up with a lot of crap, and Grissom just kept acting as if she was his puppet to control. I think, though, as time went on, she became more independent, started giving him more resistance, and he finally, in "Nesting Dolls" realized he had to relinquish some of that control or he was going to lose her.

Wow. I'm typing a lot. Sorry. :) It's been a strange day, and I'm exhausted. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.