"Burn Out" Discussion **Spoilers**

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, Oct 28, 2006.

1. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

I think, though, that Brass's scenes were meant to be intentionally rude like that. They probably gave the lines to Brass rather than Sofia because Brass can make being rude incredibly funny. And also, even if you've been appointed a job you're supposed to be neutral at, your going to have biases. And for a lot of people - especially people with children - pedophiles aren't even human at some point.

Combine that with the fact that two little boys went missing around his neighborhood, and it could've been that Brass just didn't believe him.

But yeah - pedophiles probably wouldn't get most peoples' sympathy. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, but they violate a taboo so deeply engrained in society that most have a hard time forgiving that.

And that's the other question - should they be forgiven? After all, can they ever consider themselves "cured"?

In Carl's case, it was a resounding no. Obviously this is TV, and it was played for drama, but they were making the point that even someone who attends therapy, who helps the police... even they can relapse. And how long would it have been before he touched Lucas?

2. hodges_alias_47

hodges_alias_47 Police Officer

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this ... but "Burn Out" seemed like "Silence of the Lambs" to me? Talking to the serial killer to find a serial killer ... talking to the pedophile to find the pedophile who took the boys. Although the guy actually did it. Does it seem like that or have I just seen Silence of the Lambs to often?

3. pabzi

pabzi CSI Level Three

i didnt think of it, but yesh, it is a bit similar now that you mention it.

4. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

It did seem that way, except that I think when Brass asks Grissom to talk to him, it's clear they're trying to keep him under police surveilance and work to a confession. Through the interrogation, Grissom begins to believe him, and then changes his mind.

But from the outset, it was always meant to be entrapment. Unlike Silence of the Lambs.

5. Toots

Toots Pathologist

So why didn't Grissom snap at Sara after she admitted that it was she who was responsible for the music? See, this is a perfect example of why supervisors shouldn't be messing around with their subordinates. Grissom definitely showed favortism towards Sara by not scolding her, but he was ready to jump all over poor innocent Greg's butt.

6. jimmyolsenblues

jimmyolsenblues Hit and Run

Alan Tudyk did his best acting in that episode as the pedophile.
    I like the plot alot but you can see how the episode reflects William Petersen's real feelings, he is burned out playing the same character, I wish he did not feel that way, but I believe he does.

As much as I enjoy the CSI night shift manager interviewing a suspect for so long, I know that CSI people never have that much contact with a suspect. But I still love the show.

7. speakerset

speakerset Lab Technician

Toots, exactly, especially the part about supervisors and subordinates..for me, it wasn't just that he snapped at Greg it was that he didn't say anything to Sara, that's what I had a problem with, a simple sentence of him telling her to lower it then would have been fine.

8. darx2mint4

darx2mint4 CSI Level One

Yeah, I agree with you. If I was Greg in that situation, I would think Grissom was favoring Sara---which he sort of is---but is not supposed to.

9. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Removing the Tack feel free to continue the discussion.

10. labgeekluvr

labgeekluvr Lab Technician

I think the looks on Grissom's and Greg's faces said a lot. Grissom looked at Sara like, "Am I going to have to put up with punk music when we're together?" and Greg looked at both of them like "Did I miss something?" :rolleyes:

11. speakerset

It kind of looked like Greg was about to say "I" before Sara said anything and I think that when she said that it totally caught him both of them off guard, the funny thing, that song isn't even punk or metal, like say Marilyn Manson.

12. buddrick

buddrick Dead on Arrival

mayby Gris is grumpy cuz he can't express his love for sara to everyone...just a thought ;)

13. speakerset

Or he's not a Beck fan. :)

14. Calihan

Calihan Captain

I just saw thhe episode for the first time because I missd it when it aired so I downloaded it on iTunnes and watched it yesterday.

Personally I didn't think this was the best case but the episode seemed to be one of thse which is more than a case or more than their relationships shown in an hour. The part which I thought was wonderfully done was what actually had happend to the child who had been found dead. No foul play but just a series of mistakes which led to his death. The actor who played the pedphile did a great job, he was creepy but not overly so. The part of the episode which saticks out in my mind is how the pedophile seemed to really be trying to become a law abiding citizen which is tough for a sex offender. I couldn't even tell his motives in befriending the boys, it seemd liek he really was just trying to be a father to the kids, if you remember the dead one was never sexually abused. Overall great drama, but missing the crime which was all right with me for a change.

15. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

This was a powerful episode, hadn't seen it since the onset. WP's perfornance rocked, he was so calm, cool and collected, and the cat and mouse game with the sickening pedophile, riveting, and his migraines, so convincing.. I felt his pain :( and Sofia with the little boy so gentle..and the disgusting grandfather.. gawd, how could you ever do that to your grandchild.. unbeliveable :eek: the whole cast were outstanding.. and Hodges comment to Greg, "I don't know why all pedophiles just don't kill themselves" good one, glad I watched it again..one of the best in S/7, in my opinion ;)