Ratings: CSI vs ...

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Waiting, Oct 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Txxgrrrl

Txxgrrrl Hit and Run

Re: CSI Ratings versus Grey's Anatomy

That link is not working but if it is the same article from a week or so ago, it talks about an "internet rumor" that GSR could be a factor. An internet rumor is exactly that: a rumor. Sounds to me like perhaps this writer hit a CSI message board as that's the only place we've seen this "rumor". As for the article itself, it does not seem to take the postion that GSR is a factor. All other articles written about this, including one in that publication, USAToday and other major newspapers etc make no mention of GSR as a factor and these people are paid to examine every angle. It doesn't even seem to be part of the equation for any television writer that has addressed this so far.

2. MrsGregHSanders

MrsGregHSanders Police Officer

One of my friends thinks that I should stop watching CSI because it is not number 1, and should watch GA instead.

3. allmaple

allmaple Judge

i think the fact that a csi repeat so thoroughly beat a greys repeat shows that people like watching greys, just not a second time around. you can watch at least one csi episode every day of the week, usually two or three, will that ever happen with greys? probably not. the only shows that repeat as much as csi are some of the old sitcoms.
    and anyone who says csi is losing ratings because of gsr really needs to get their priorities straight for what makes a good show. honestly, if it wasnt for the last scene last year most people probably wouldnt notice to goo-goo eyes they make at each other from time to time.

4. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

Yeah, agreed allmaple - and it especially says something that 16 million people will watch a repeat even though they can catch CSI 7 days a week.

Maybe people are fed up of Cath!Drama, maybe they're tired of procedural shows... or maybe CSI is just no longer what's trendy to watch and talk about the next day.

In any event, the show hasn't jumped the shark - through competition or a new dynamic for the characters or whatever else, if anything, it's regained a spark it lost around Season 5. This season, for those of us who've watched it, has been great. The cases solid, the acting and chemistry good, and the serialized aspects interesting.

If people are missing that, then that's really too bad, but I'm still entertained, and I don't need an army of 30 million to help me decide what channel to turn to.

5. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

With all due respec to Catherine fans, I do get fed up with the amount of time her personal life takes up on the screen. And I've always been lukewarm to to GSR.

CSI is being beaten by Grey's because it lacks balance in character development. We know all there is to know about Catherine, her sex life, her family life and so forth. But hardly anything on the others wit the exception of a bit here and a bit there.

Grey's does a great job with balancing character's storylines as did shows like ER. CSI Miami is a procedural show but they've also added in more in terms of charcter development.

I think CSI's writers have forgotten that there are other charcters on the show. Nick, Greg, and Warrick who seem to be more there for purposes of eye candy for the ladies then anything else. And as for Sara, she wouldn't have a storyline if it weren't for her love for Grissom.

When's the last time we've seen Warrick's wife? Hello where are you Tina? When the last time Nick had a significant storyline-last seasons's burial ordeal went out with a whimper-and now Nick just has his one-liners again and this season my god..Greg actually does have a family! He wasn't conjured up in a petri dish..as I started to believe there last season.

I'm not bashing the Grissom or Catherine, but is asking for a bit of balance a little too much? Guess so!

I've given up on the CSI Powers That Be! They're hopeless and myopic.

On the bright side, the fact that the show is still in the top ten after seven seasons says a lot. It is still a good show, and I like it better then Grey's.

6. Waiting

Waiting CSI Level One

Personally,

I think the characters get their share of story time on the show. Maybe not all of them, but for the most they do. Now...I do agree that Catherine has had a lot of drama, but sorry they make the show interesting at times. BTK2 proves it!!! Major Cath drama...I almost think they could have spread some of that out into other episodes...like when her father passed away. Anyhow, Marg is an incrediable actress. Take Nick...next to catherine he's had a rough life...He was buried alive...which by the way was a darn good show. Then you had Grissom with his hearing problem, and not all the subtle GSR moments. I think sara has been on a lot of episodes this season. :)

Anyhow...not disagreeing here. CSI...has an extremely talented cast. I started a nice debate with this thread...ROCK ON guys...regardless we are still talking about the show so that is all that matters.

7. allmaple

allmaple Judge

i thought the catherine stuff in the first two episodes was over kill, just my opinion. nick and warrick get a storyline from time to time, but it is dropped as quickly as it comes up. take nick being burried, the writers basically said 'we dont want to deal with it anymore' i know this little fan girl was not impressed. ill agree with you that everyone does get their fair share of little tidbits, but not everyone gets their fair share of continuity.
    and was warrick even on the show last season? i can seriously only remember 2 or 3 episodes with him. and speaking of continuity, is he still married or what? they throw in this little fight at the end of last season and i guess they hoped wed forget.
    and except for toe tags when the time was fairly evenly distributed across all characters, so far this season its been grissom, sara, and catherine over and over. i dont think they are taking full advantage of their phenomenal cast, it started last year and i think that might be hurting them. thats why i like csi, its an ensemble cast and theres no way you can make me believe one character is more important than another. whereas greys has one lead actress (and correct me if im wrong, but the show is mostly about her right?) i like being able to see a bit of everybody each week.
    still, theres pretty much nothing the writers can do to piss me off so much i stop watching, although im pretty cheesed at them now. when you get right down to it, its still a good show. like ive said before, ratings mean nothing to me

8. coolcatz

coolcatz Head of the Swing Shift

btk was really too much for cath to go thru in that time span. that i agree with. however, cath!drama brings in the ratings every time. btk2 had higher ratings than btk because of that.

and i too wonder if nick and greg still work at the lab (in capacities of something other than whipping boys). and who is warrick? i remember this sexy, tall black dude from earlier seasons but haven't seen him in a while.

9. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

The argument about Gary Dourdan not getting enough screentime is moot because he was doing other projects last year, and was physically unable to have big storylines or scenes devoted to him regularly.

Greg just got a big storyline and is about to have it continued, and Nick has had quite a few episodes surrounding him or his problems.

10. Waiting

Waiting CSI Level One

Another good point is yes Nick's buried alive story was not continued with, but neither was any of Catherine's drama...the writers seem to just let things fall, and we are stuck wondering what happened. Actually, the only big drama Story Line that I can think that they hit on after the fact was Greg's when he got beat up. :eek: They had Catherine asking him how he was doing, and such and it was still obvious he had been beat up.

Hello, Cath gets in a car accident...and the mark on her forehead has disappeared in the following week's show. We are also left in the air if her Dad did in fact die. No funeral or nothing. BTW...not saying they needed to show a funeral...but a mention of one from Catherine should have been obvious. So...dropping story lines seems to happen on this show. That is one thing that just gets me.

11. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

The funny thing is that this season, so far, has been fantastic with continuity. No personal storyline left untouched upon that was brought up earlier. Catherine nearly gets raped, it's seen to the end. Greg gets beat-up, there's follow-up and soon we'll have an episode of follow-up. Sara and Grissom's relationship is kept in view, Catherine talks about her dead father the next week and then lights a candle for him (a Catholic tradition used to honor the dead).

I don't think the funeral would happen a week later. He was a very wealthy man. Chances are it would be a big event.

12. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Click to find out the top 20 shows from Nielsen Ratings Oct. 23-29. "GA" was not on the list from what I could see but "CSI LV" was listed at number 9.

13. EricaSJ

EricaSJ Judge

^ Um I suppose that's because both CSI and GA had reruns last week but the GA episode aired had been re-aired several times in the past couple months and people were tired of it. I also think it shows that perhaps the viewers prefer CSI from early season 6 to GA from season 3? JMO.

14. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

CSI re-runs beat GA re-runs all summer. Without getting into a conversation of "Which is better" because of this, I can just say that procedurals tend to do better than serials in re-runs.

15. Annissa

Annissa Witness

I can't believe how early most shows ran reruns this year. I can understand around the major holidays but the shows just debuted in the 3rd week of September.

Just my opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.