Ratings: CSI vs ...

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Waiting, Oct 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrsGregHSanders

MrsGregHSanders Police Officer

Re: CSI Ratings versus Grey's Anatomy

I think this season is just as good as last. In fact the show seems, to me at least, to be getting consistantly better.

2. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

Dog Eat Dog was one of their worst episodes from last year, and those numbers say that fewer people tuned in for a re-run from Season 6 than any new episode of season 7. That doesn't prove that people came back, just that they have a steady viewership.

If people were moving on from CSI, they wouldn't have tuned in in that high a number. The World Series was on, which is mostly watched by men. CSI is also mostly watched by men. Yet more people tuned into CSI than Grey's (mostly watched by women).

I think it just shows that after you know what's happened, there isn't much interest left in GA.

3. MrsGregHSanders

Well there is no plot to GA, it just doctors sleeping with each other.

4. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

I don't really have a problem with Grey's. I thought it was entertaining in its first season, but I do see them quickly running out of storylines.

But very little interest in re-runs all summer, and now a pretty big drop in the middle of its run, says that as interesting as "Who will Meredith choose?" is at the time, there isn't anything deeper than the storyline itself.

I had a lot of fun re-watching Ch-Ch-Changes and Fur and Loathing, which, yes, were both Catherine and Grissom-heavy storylines, and I do think that we need to get more of those, because I really support the pair as friends. And co-workers. They make a great team and have a great dynamic.

But I couldn't see a stark difference between either episode or any of the new differences in Season 7. In other words, I don't feel the supposed change in CSI that has come because of GSR. Are Catherine and Grissom working fewer cases together? Maybe. But it's been 5 episodes. And the season opened with the two of them paired up.

I do admit that I'd like to see Grissom not always pairing himself with Sara, more because I think he's asking to get caught in another "dear" moment in front of the team, but other than that... this season is much better than the last one. And while ratings aren't reflecting that, I think when the winter hiatus comes and they start re-airing season 7 eps, we'll probably have the same trend as we see here.

5. kissmesweet

kissmesweet Coroner

I Adore Grey's, but CSI will always be my one true love (and so will Carmine) and the ratings deserve to be so much better!

Although speaking of Grey's, I'm really tired of Meredith whining for the whole episode. There are other characters, you know...

6. hodges_alias_47

hodges_alias_47 Police Officer

With all due respect to kissmesweet, I'm not a big fan of GA. It's just a soap opera set in a hospital, filled with people sleeping with each other, shown during primetime.

7. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

AND bigger problems. Let's see: Addison's husband is leaving her, the main surgeon may have lost the use of his hand, his girlfriend has to support him, Izzy may have lost her will to continue working, and Meredith... has to choose between two attractive, successful men?

The horror.

Either way - I suspect there may be interest in Season 6 repeats because people want to see if there were clues for GSR along the way.

If not, then maybe it's just a steadier fanbase than GA.

8. MrsGregHSanders

I think that GA's ratings will start going down. apparently "The OC" is back this week, and that will probably split the viewers some.

9. Hottie_Cath

Hottie_Cath Corpse

Last week Grey's aired their Season 3 opener.. uhm, its the third time that Greys aired that same episode in a span of one month. That ep was also shown on their Friday re-runs just a couple of weeks ago, thats the reason why it didn't do well against CSI.

As for the promo, I don't think CSI lacks in promotion.. in New York I saw a couple of buses with CSI: LV promotion plastered all over them like Grey's. And like Grey's they also ran CSI ads on those biggie mags like Vanity Fair, Entertainment Weekly, etc.

As for the men, Grey's new episode last 10/19/2006 did really well among the men demographics, so I don't think the playoffs affected Greys and other TV shows in the same timeslot that much. from here.

10. coolcatz

coolcatz Head of the Swing Shift

doubtful about people tuning in for hints of gsr. if that were the case the ratings wouldn't be down so much in the first place.

the fact that the first episode of the year to beat greys was one of the worst episodes of last year speaks volumes to me, especially with grey's airing a repeat of a repeat. you really have to take that into consideration.

also, to say the majority of viewers of csi are male is incorrect. csi is the first crime drama to have a majority of viewers be female. baseball made some difference, but not a lot.

11. Waiting

Waiting CSI Level One

I think this season of CSI is going to get really interesting. I thought CSI beat Grey's anatomy on the second episode of the season...which was Cath's drama.

12. Txxgrrrl

Txxgrrrl Hit and Run

You seem to be assuming that GSR is solely responsible for the ratings drop. It has nothing to do with going up against literally the most talked about show on TV? The most advertised show on TV? Interesting that all the articles I've seen about this battle so far don't mention GSR as a factor but, the age of CSI and the popularity and "water cooler factor" of Grey's, seem to be the general consensus among professional tv writers.

In repeats, CSI beat Grey's all summer. Serials don't repeat as well as procedurals, that's what you have to take into consideration.

13. Wojo

Wojo Corpse

To me CSI will always be #1. I will not let ratings dictate what I watch and don't watch.

14. Hottie_Cath

Hottie_Cath Corpse

Actually if you have read her previous posts, she never mentioned GSR as the reason for the ratings slump.. not even on her posts on page 1. It was actually sarahvma who posted that subject first here and coolcatz was just replying to her.
    Anyways, if you also read coolc's post in the other ratings thread, she said the mediocre plot, lack of the believability of the storylines, etc. (i forgot all the others) as some of the many reasons of the ratings drop. There was an article in Media Life Magazine citing GSR as one of the three factors why CSI's ratings slipped.
    But they weren't in the same timeslot during the summer. And also, there are repeats of Grey's eps every Friday which are also doing quite well. I think coolcatz was just pointing out that, Grey's aired a repeat of a repeat (they just aired a re-run of their season opener a couple of weeks ago) that's why last week it didn't do well against CSI.
    But its a repeat anyways, I don't think it matters to them cuz I didn't even see CBS post a press release about their win in the ratings last week.

Yup, so far Built to Kill-Pt. 2 was the only ep to win in the GA-CSI ratings game (total individual viewers).

Its so disappointing cuz CSI has so much potential to still be the number one show, but it seems that they haven't learned from the mess they made last season.

15. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

It's as doubtful as people tuning in because of the lack of GSR - the numbers in no way suggest that more people than usual watched - they said less people watched. For a re-run that's understandable, but I was simply following the original logic.

GA didn't repeat all summer until the timeslot change mid-season. So all of their ratings battles happened at the same time - CSI was consistently in the top 5 or so with a couple of exceptions, and GA stayed in the late teens and early twenties.

I agree that the OC might sap a good majority of GA's younger fanbase, but overall I agree with Wojo - I don't watch CSI because it's the number one show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.