Grade 'Oedipus Hex'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Showtime

Showtime Police Officer

There's a little aminosity between us. I'll try to state this with the least amount of bias possible ...

The Lindsay Haters feel that the show is suffering becasue of her presence, while those who like her obviously feel otherwise. We (those who dislike her) have no qualms about posting our opinions, and those who like her feel under attack, which is completely understandable. But we don't feel like we should stop to take their feelings into consideration, because they also have no problems with posting how amazingly awesome she did delivering her lines and how deep her character is.

Our opinions of her clearly differ greatly, and we both feel equally strongly about our sides of the spectrum. There's going to be some clashing heads, and while we both try to be respectful enough to each other, theres going to be ... cases ... where we're not so much.

Also, because so many of us dislike Lindsay to such a great extent, many of them feel alienated and forced to stay in the Lindsay board.

Anyone, feel free to correct me if you think I've gotten anything messed up.

2. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Well, I don't think it's so much that I want to correct, as to clarify or expand on what you said.

I don't hate Lindsay, so I don't like being termed a 'hater' just for not adoring the character. I also don't like being termed a 'basher' simply for saying that I'm unhappy with some aspect of the character or the performance on the show. That seems to be the case, sometimes, that to dislike something is tantamount to hating and bashing, and that's not fair. I will comment on the performance of any actor or the portrayal of any character on this show, so I don't see the problem with doing so for Lindsay.

The fact that there is animosity baffles me sometimes, because I don't come here to argue or knock heads with anyone, but I state my opinion and I stand by what I say. I don't have a problem with people disagreeing with me, and I enjoy participating in a good discussion or debate on this subject or others--it's when someone has a problem with me expressing my opinion or questions my right to do so that I get upset. People have expressed positive opinions of Lindsay and the Danny/Lindsay relationship for this episode, and I haven't said anything to suggest that they cannot enjoy these aspects of the show, so I expect the same courtesy in return. I might express a differing opinion, but I respect the members of this board and hope they extend the same respect to me. :)

Now, back to discussion of "Oedipus Hex." ;)

I think that some aspects of the Suicide Girls storyline were a bit lame and cliche, yes, but as superficial and one-dimensional as the stuff we got was, I enjoyed it well enough. I liked the last scene and thought Danny looked regretful to lose that opportunity ;), but I can't say what Carmine himself was thinking. :p

3. Guest

Guest Guest

I'll be watching to see if someone writes a fic where Danny catches up with Nixon later and ends up handcuffed to a bed somewhere with his own cuffs! If you follow the lead of the writers, Danny's pining over Lindsay and is probably a bit frustrated at this point, so a night out with a wild woman could be just the thing. I think he should have gone with her. When he looked away and then back I was thinking that he was comptemplating whether to "screw Lindsay, I'm going" or not. I'd love to tie him to a bed and do naughty things to him all night, but that's just me. :devil:

4. ThumpyG

ThumpyG Coroner

:lol: yeah, I was totally disappointed that he didn't go out with Nixon! He really needed to get some from such a hot woman who would rock his world! :lol:

of course, if the man is looking for someone with a pension for the naughtier side of life.... then look no further, I am here. I would love nothing better than to tie that man to my bedpost too and have my way with him! :devil:

5. FlackAttack

FlackAttack Prime Suspect

Well, it looks like everything I could think of has been said about this ep. I liked it alright, but it wasn't as enthralling as "Not What It Looks Like" or "Hung Out to Dry". I definitely agree with the comment made quite a bit earlier that the writers missed a great opportunity to show Flack playing basketball. :cool: We've seen Danny take on a couple of sports, lets give Flack a chance now.

As for Lindsay, I think she just needs to come clean so the show can move past this issue and on to something new. I personally don't find anything wrong with her having a "secret" from her past, but either she should keep it in or let it out, that storyline is starting to drag now.

With regard to Danny getting slapped, I think he was classy to not overreact. Besides, showing the mom the picture of the tattoo the daughter had that said "I love you Mom" was probably enough of a "slap" back in the face for her.

Here's what I can't really figure out. So far the S3 episodes have had clever names and "Oedipus Hex" is no different. The thing is, I can't see how it relates to either of the cases. Obviously it's related to the Greek tragedy "Oedipus Rex", but I saw no sons killing their fathers and marrying their mothers here. The only thing vaguely related was the whole mother/daughter issue between the Omen and her Mom and Lindsay and her mom. Unless Lindsay's dark secret is that she killed her mom to marry had Dad? Or something twisted like that. But then it should be "Electra Hex". :p

6. jazzfan

jazzfan CSI Level Two

I gave it a B+ simply because I liked the twist of the tourists being the murderers of Chopper.
    I thought the story of the SG was kind of lame. Can someone really have that much rage in them to kill after just one date and then be rejected?

7. Maiel

Maiel Rookie

I couldn't agree more. I thought Danny handled it as well as could be expected given the circumstances.

Overall I thought it rated about a C+ it's not the worst CSI I've ever seen, but definately not the best.

Pretty much like Danny I had, and still have, no idea who the Suicide Girls are, they pretty much look like a bundle of people I know. Well except for the green shoes and fake blood.

I don't quite get the Lindsay hatred, although I guess that could be too strong a word but then we all can't agree and the world would be a much duller place if we did. I have to say I think the writers are still trying to figure her out, she's far from perfect but I like her. :) I did really like the interogation scene where she asked if the SG wanted a time out, I found that amusing but again I know some of you won't.

Didn't think the second crime was that interesting but I guess it did show something new about Flack, well new to me at least. I'd love to see more of Flack but then I'm sure I'm not the only one.

As for the ending, I think Danny was kinda like what did I turn down? And kinda relieved if that makes sense? The fact he has developed and matured a bit coming through there.

I thought Al was leaving with her head held high and proud knowing that the woman she loved loved her in return with her friends around her to give her support, with little or no clothing on, which was scary. (but I agree on the tattoo it shouldn't have looked like that so quickly)

8. dutch_treat

dutch_treat CSI Level Two

I've been wondering about that too and found something in an article from Columbia University Press that perhaps says it best:

"Many psychiatrists, while acknowledging the significance of the Oedipal relationships to personality development in our culture, ascribe love and attraction toward one parent and hatred and antagonism toward the other not necessarily to sexual rivalry but to resentment of parental authoritarian power."

I think that's the best way to explain the reference to Freud's "Oedipus Complex". Which, according to other articles, he used for both sexes. The "Electra Complex" for females was not his idea.

And it probably has some reference to Lindsay's past too. Maybe that's why "Hex" was added. She can be "cursed" by something that happened in her relations with one or both of her parents. :(

9. fly_casual

fly_casual Witness

^^^ whoa. research. you rock. :cool: and that quote was really helpful!
    i was really happy when danny was so mature about being slapped in the face, but i do think he kind of deserved it. it really wasn't his place to say 'your daughter loved you' and then show her the tattoo. it would have been more sensible to show her the picture and then make a comment about it ( if it was necessary) i don't blame the mother at all- she probably thought he was just a smart aleck detective who was making assumptions when all he had was the body and she had know her daughter for 18 years. if it was me i would have done the same thing... only maybe hit him harder.

10. detectdevotion

detectdevotion Police Officer

Actually, I think it has more to do with the fact that in the B Case, the son inadvertantly caused his father's death, just like Oedipus killed his father without knowing it, but those are really great theories!

11. dutch_treat

I had not thought of that yet, but it also sounds like a logical explanation.

So that means it can at least be related to both the cases and perhaps Linday's past.

12. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

I have to wonder what AZ thinks of Lindsay's character, too...he loves the Suicide Girls, and he gave her the line questioning their sanity. She really is a pill. :lol:

On another note, someone brought up the idea that Danny was trying to protect Lindsay. Why does she need protecting? Isn't that idea condescending? She was offended by the idea that Mac was protecting her from the bloody crime scene in "Manhattan Manhunt," but here she wants Danny to shield her from having to deal with the mother. The CSI shows victimize their women in truly awful ways, but no matter what happens to them, we're reminded they are strong, powerful women whose toughness gets them through the ordeal.

Not so with Lindsay. She's a Mary Sue of the worst order--a combination of all sorts of cliches, and a weak, whiny character on top of all of that. How this character made it into a primetime show is really baffling to me.

13. MrsGiovinazzo

MrsGiovinazzo CSI Level Three

I might be inclined to read that fic a time or twenty. If anyone writes such a fic, please let me know. :devil:

14. Guest

Guest Guest

^^ If I see one, I'll let you know, and you do the same! :devil:

15. dutch_treat

Sorry, missed this little discussion earlier.

I don't think it's understandable to feel like you're under attack because someone has a different opinion. I certainly don't feel that way and it's absolutely not hurting my feelings that people disagree with me.

And being part of (what seems like) a minority is even more reason to speak my mind whenever I can.

As for Lindsay's behaviour I don't see her as whiny and weak. In some situations she showed that she can do whatever is necessary without complaining. And other times she is not afraid to show that she is really startled by something or just needs some comforting (and that's not a sign of weakness to me). And I think that combination is what makes her a great addition to this show.

And the two discussions between her and Danny about first not wanting and later wanting to talk to the girl's mother did seem a bit akward to me too :). But I think that's more because of bad writing and/or editing and not because of Anna's performance. I think she's doing a great job portraying this sweet, strong woman who is still hurting from something that happened in her past.

But, I too hope they finish that story soon.