Grade 'Oedipus Hex'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Oct 19, 2006.

1. tvgeek1

tvgeek1 Victim

I gave it a "B." Not as good as last week, but still ok. The Mac/Stella interaction was good, esp. the little quip Mac gave her when she was reading the prayer card. A light moment.

The Suicide Girls stuff really brought home the fact that I am essentially an old lady. (I'm 36). My DH and I were watching it together last night and I said "I'm old." He said "What makes you say that?" And I said "Because this makes NO SENSE to me. They say they are trying to be different, yet aren't they the same AS EACH OTHER?"

Loved the questioning scene. "Do you need a time out?"

RE: The Danny scene with the Mom. Just what was he supposed to do? He was professional enough to let it roll and recognize the situation as not personal toward him. To me, it represented some growth in his character.

RE: The interaction between D/L when she snapped at him....are you professional 100% of the time on your job? I think fans are way too hard on the Lindsay character. She has a level of comfort with Danny to let her guard down, and he has a level of comfort with her to call her on it. That's what I saw. I thought it was - again - revealing on how they are maturing Danny and developing Lindsay.

The girl who hit on Danny - BAD ACTRESS.

So, this is what we know about Lindsay -

1) Gets emotional and bothered by cases involving violence against young women.
    2) Doesn't want to have to talk to mothers about their daughter's death.
    3) Stella mentioned in Lindsay's first ep (Zoo York) that her work on a specific case is what brought her to Mac's attention in the first place.

I think her "past" secret is work related.

JMHO

2. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

What were the lines about last week's case? I missed them.

Thanks.

3. Showtime

Showtime Police Officer

I think it's more along the lines of doesn't want to bring bad news to mothers, but doesn't care about hurting fathers.

I really don't like how this "deep dark secret" is becoming a big part of the season. I don't like Lindsay. I don't care about her secret. The writers are awful at continuity, why do they have to attempt it with this? Its not like they're not going to forget about it the episode after it airs.

4. Daisy

Daisy Pathologist

A-. I liked it. :) I think the b-case was better than the a-case. The end was pretty sad. The son was in someway responsible for the dead of is own father by robbing those tourists. I only hoped to see more of Flack, but he was sweet in that yellow shirt.

The SG story seemend a bit rushed and kinda remind me of the roller girls story in Jamalot last season at the start, but it got better when the episode continued.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Bah. The Suicide Girls annoyed me to no end. I don't know any (that I know of), but I'm quite sure that this episode misrepresented them. A lot. If I were on that show, I would have slapped them silly - especially for their "We're hard-core non-conforming punk-goth hot girls and we do what we want because we want to so nyah nyah!" walk at the end of the episode.

Somebody help me out here - what in the holy name of (x-deity) was Danny doing at the end of the episode? My brother speculates it was a lament of "I can't escape the product placement!" (Referring to the shameless plug of the SGs in this episode). Can anyone direct me to screencaps?

I did like this episode, but I'll give it a C+. There wasn't enough time to chill with all the characters, but hopefully that will be rectified in the future. Also, did they seem to forget a little something called SHANE CASEY? Ah well. If they're not concerned about a serial killer on the loose, then neither am I. Trust in the almighty power of lost-threads!

6. CSI_Chic

CSI_Chic Police Officer

Ok, WTF, was up with lindsay in this eppy? Anybody???

It was an odd eppy all around.

How does that mother get off.. when she slapped Danny. Isn't that assulting an officer??

I still can't get over that Danny was oblivous to knowing who the Suicide Girls were. It was kinda cute though.
    I'm glad we get to see more Danny.

I thought it was funny when Mac and Stella were talking to that B-Ball player, Hope.
    Hope: You feel me?
    Mac: No, I don't feel you and if I find out your lying, You'll be feeling me..
    :lol:

The ending were the Suicide Girls were walking away, you can see Danny and his body languge of like WTF did i just do. It could be a Vontage comercial. one stupid thing among many. ha ha

7. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

After some thought, I think I'm giving this one a B.

What you guys are saying about the mother and Danny's behavior after she slapped him makes sense. I agree that he wasn't going to hit her back (obviously) or yell at her after she's just learned her daughter is dead. But the way he just takes it so incredibly passively seemed off to me. And yeah, it is technically assaulting an officer.

As for Lindsay--I wouldn't have had a problem with her asking Danny to handle the mother. Yeah, it's her job, but sometimes CSIs have to remove themselves from cases or situations for personal reasons. It's the way she did it that bugged me--that whining about always getting the crappy jobs. That made her come off as immature and whiny. The bigger problem is that her character often comes off that way, it makes it impossible to like her.

And for those who think I'm being too hard on her--I was just as hard on Danny when he was a dick to the son of the gypsy cab driver in "The Dove Commission." He was horribly unprofessional and even cruel, all because of his own issues. The difference is that though Danny can be immature about little things (blood on his clothes, the smell of fish, etc.), he rarely brings that to actual interactions with victims of crime or suspects. Danny's usually pretty kind to people, even those who have broken the law (Shane Casey, the father in "Super Men").

The difference with Lindsay is that she doesn't have those redeeming qualities that make up for immaturity. She's not kind, she's not compassionate, she's out to prove something and doesn't put the victims first. It makes it a lot harder to excuse her unsympathetic behavior, in part because there's just so darn much of it.

8. Orison

Orison CSI Level Two

I gave the episode a B. Not my favourite, but non that bad either (though it did feel a little rushed and that's usually a sign that there's something wrong with the writing).

The Suicide Girls can't act, but it was clear that it was all about them so they probably thought we would be impressed by them and wouldn't notice. The other case IMHO was better and emotionally interesting, it should've gotten a little more attention. And speaking about the "B" case, I'm sad Flack didn't get to play basketball. That would've been nice.

Lindsay is still annoying. If it was Mac he would've taken none of her crap and would've send her right to the mother but since Danny was all like "If there's anything I can do for you just let me know" last week of course he couldn't say no. This said, I really liked the scene with the mother. Danny barely flinched when she slapped him (and then he apologized to her) but considering how the woman was dealing with her loss I think her reaction was just natural and he understood that she wasn't mad at him but at the situation.

Loved the Shane Casey continuity, and I'm hoping they keep that up in the next episodes.

9. shaofu

shaofu Hit and Run

What is going on with Danny? He is acting out of character this season and it's not because he is maturing. He seems lacklustre and, as KH said in her excellent review, diluted. I'm happy the other characters are getting more development and I understand when people complain Danny gets too much screen time but, having developed this character over two seasons into an interesting, complex, whiny, drama-queenish, whatever! type, and now having him behaving differently most of the time (not ALL of the time, I agree) is just confusing and disappointing. I think Danny should react differently to the way he has to Lindsay's behavior, to the mother hitting him (not that I think he should hit her back although the idea was funny, midnight_tiptoes lol) and to Flack - come on, writers, Danny and Flack are best buds and they're still ignoring what happened?

Okay, I'm ranting and I'll quit while I'm ahead. I gave the eppy a B overall and was rather disappointed in both cases. Some nice moments and the suicide girls (despite the bad acting) was at least a different idea.

10. crankyjules

crankyjules Police Officer

A plain old B from me.

Nope, the Suicide Girls can't act ... but that made it all the more funnier for me. I couldn't help laughing out loud at their abysmal attempts. They may be really controversial to Anthony Zuiker, but seriously, half the population is tattoed and piereced, and punk is hardly an oddity. Some of their 'dos were rather radical :lol: I like their cheekiness, and I love that there is an alternative to playboy sexpots as pinups. But most of all ... I love their green SHOES :D

Danny ... Carmine seems to be developing a real talent for comedy. Seems in every episode Danny manages to inject some little bits of delightful funny, regardless of how serious the ep is. I wonder if that comment about the movie Saw was an adlib(when he was grinning through the blood on the helmet) ... Emmanuelle Vaugier was in Saw II. And what he did with that scene at the end with Nixon ... omG that was priceless. That look of pure lust and 'WTF did I just turn down. I must be crazy' sent the temperature gauge up in THIS house.

As for being slapped by the mother, he couldn't very well haul off and bitch-slap her back. I'm positive I saw him 'bite his tongue' so to speak and hold his temper in. You'd have to be a grade A a**hole to be a bastard to someone who's just been told their daughter has been murdered. He has proven to be a sensitive and compassionate guy in previous eps ... I think it's totally in character.

Lindsay. She's the one who needed slapping. It's gotten to the point with me where I don't care anymore what her deepdarksecret is. I've done wondering and waiting to find out. I'm over seeing her staring with big angsty looks through windows watching people being interrogated and interviewed. Yeah yeah I saw fear in her eyes when she thought she was going to have to deal with the mother. But honestly, it's been dragged on so long now I don't give a rat's bum anymore. And at the end ... "it's the job"... ooo bigbravehonourableMontana. Give us a break.

And I HATE that Danny is pussyfooting around her while he is 'looking out' for her. Where has his fire gone?????? "Don't fix what ain't broke" I reckon.

The writers need to seriously do something about giving us more Flack. The guy's acting talents are being wasted. And it is obvious, through this board alone, just how popular the guy is.

The B case ... meh, it was okay, totally forgettable.

In closing ... I couldn't help wondering if poor little Danny has a nasty dose of gravel rash after that awesome flying tackle. Maybe that's why he turned Nixon down :p :D

11. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

Nah. He turned Nixon down 'cos he got way more than just gravel rash after Flack was through with him.

:devil: :p

But seriously, I no like Danny-on-Prozac. Danny and Flack chase scenes are nice though. Now, if only they'd fall on top of each other during just one chase ... yep, we'll be having some nice screencaps for a while. ;)

P.S. Suicide girls, plz to not be actin' anymore unless ya go for major actin' trainin'. Keep rockin' the punk tho.

12. crankyjules

crankyjules Police Officer

:lol: :D dirty DIRTY girl!! :devil: Still yet to go read more of your writing :eek:

Yeah WTF is happening there? He needs a damn good dummy spit.

With you on that.

13. JDonne

JDonne CSI Level One

So, this is the second or third episode I’ve seen this season and it was a mix of the humorous and the poignant. As far as the Suicide Girls acting abilities, well I don’t think they were any worse than some of Anna’s shrill moments from last season, and they aren’t actors so how can I possibly complain or comment on their skills when one of the cast regulars has fallen short a time or five.

The “Teacher of the Year” tourist and her husband should be slapped and choked, at the least Mac and Stella should have verbally bitch slapped them. What were they afraid of, the man biting them in the ankles and then running away on his elbows after he left them with a wicked case of rabies? If someone crawls up to you without the ability to stand what you don’t do is beat them in the head with a trophy. How about getting in the car and driving away on your rims if you are that terrified, how about just pushing him away, or how about acknowledging that he was asking for help. Isn’t their excuse sort of like me saying that yesterday kids were throwing rocks as I drove down my street, so when I saw the kid with the big red beach ball coming my way I just hit him with my car. I’m sorry officer I didn’t know I had hit him that hard. Better yet, if you are going to be an asshole and hit the man the least you could do is call some help to the location, especially since you didn’t do anything wrong, but good for you, you got your watch back. Perhaps the alleged mean streets of New York are mean because of the constant influx of sheltered tourists, damn them for giving the true residents of NYC a bad reputation, maybe we should close our borders to those lacking any semblance of humanity.

Lindsay’s behaviour in the episode on two occasions was highly irritating, inappropriately naïve, and annoying, and showed that the writer’s continue to search for a way to successfully incorporate her character with the rest of the cast, how sad since the writer this time around was Anthony Zuiker. I have to wonder if he likes Lindsay, though in fairness to Anthony poorly written lines are only one aspect of a performance, poor delivery is the other part of the equation. If the pathetic line about all the crappy jobs falling in Lindsay’s lap had been uttered with a wry smile and a raised brow, then maybe I would have overlooked the words, but the manipulative temper tantrum delivery was heinous. Lindsay’s second offense was her declaration about the sanity of the Suicide Girls. Why? Because they thwarted your condescending authority with humour and mirth or do empowered forward thinking women scare you Lindsaypoo. I know I wasn’t the only one that wanted Al Suicide to climb over that table and beat Lindsay’s ass.

I didn’t find anything wrong with Danny’s reaction to the mother’s slap, the clenched jaw and the moment he took to regain his composure was enough for me and not so much as a sign of a watered down Danny, but a continuation of the Danny that cares deeply about the welfare of families. I was disappointed in Danny when he turned down Nixon Suicide for drinks, he needed that night no matter were it led more than he could possibly know. I suppose I will have to be satisfied with the regret that forced him to bow his head at the scene’s end, but let us all hope that he employed his new found running skills, a skill he is wasting on Lindsay in all her unworthy glory, and went after her once the episode ended, if whatever numbing drugs he’s on allow him to run.

Both cases would have been better served by full episode treatments, thereby allowing a more in-depth viewing of the Suicide Girls and Chopper. The motive behind Omen Suicide's murder was a leap for me and Chopper’s rushed montage of coincidences watered down the poignancy. I’ll forgive both hoping that the viewers won’t see the Suicide Girls as simply what they saw on screen and won’t make uninformed judgments about who and what they are without taking a peek at their history and that the sad beauty of Chopper’s story radiated with everyone.

I think Flack and Danny should have worked the Suicide Girls case, now that would have a great ride.

Not Season One, but better than most of what they turned out last season, so a B-.

14. MBGrissom

MBGrissom Pathologist

I was thinking about what a poster said about knowing the Suicide Girls, and that they were rather misrepresented here. It reminds me of when the Vegas CSI did their ep in S5 on transgenders. Many TGs came to some of the boards afterwards and complained that CSI represented all TGs as hookers or barflys in that ep, and that's definitely not the case in real life.

I think the problem is that the writers are highlighting a group of people that not everyone knows alot about, and in the space of an hour, they can't possibly go very in-depth - so they choose to highlight just one aspect, and unfortunately it seems to be the aspect that they think will make for "More Intriguing TV Entertainment". I think they figure audiences will assume there is more than what meets the eye on the ep and leave it at that, but unfortunately yes, they are short-changing both the groups represented on the ep, and their audience. I think in this case, if the ep was just one case with the S. Girls, they could have given a more fair idea of what they're all about, but they crammed it in with a B case (that also could have been developed enough to stand on its own) and ended up with a fairly one-dimensional viewpoint. Certainly not the first time it's been done on TV, and unfortunately won't be the last, but I do wish they had gone with just one case on this one, and I think that could have rectified that, somewhat. Perhaps if, as Anthony alluded in his recent interview, they end up using the S. Girls again in a future ep, they can focus on one of them who works at a bank or somewhere in the white collar corporate world, or isn't portrayed as "living on the fringes of society" so to speak (which is the impression they gave, in this ep) then they can delve more into what these women are truly all about, more accurately and fairly, instead of going just for "what looks cool onscreen".

15. dutch_treat

dutch_treat CSI Level Two

Voted B

Mostly because of the nice twist at the end of the B-case with the "teacher of the year - tourists" and the son being responsible for the death oh his own father. And although it perhaps seemed a bit odd that the woman just smashed that man's head in with her trophy. I can imagine, just from the looks of the couple, that they were already really freaked out by the big city and just acted without thinking.

Didn't know the SG before the spoilers for this ep started to mention them. To me they seem like a bunch of girls who just want to be different and stand out in a crowd. But, imo, if you then start hanging out with others who look and act just like you, you're no longer an individual but just become one of many again. And that -the bad acting aside- was also how they looked in this ep.

I hated it that the whole A-case came down to Omen's tattoo, because that was just one of the worst pieces of evidence I ever saw. The tattooing was supposed to be done an hour before the show started. Well no fresh tattoo -especially not such a large one- lookes like that! The skin should be all irritated, bloody and thick.

And although I am a Lindsay fan I too was wondering what made her change her mind from not wanting to talk to the mother at first to "it's the job".