Grade 'Oedipus Hex'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Oct 19, 2006.

1. ItDBMe

ItDBMe Witness

From what parts I saw I gave it a B. Managed to see the mom of Owen slap Danny. That was just crazy! I wish I could've seen the episode but chemistry stayed late.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

oh yeah, If ANYONE can get pics of Carmine in that Sexy greyish colored shirt and those awe-awe-awe-inspiring jeans, :devil: :eek: POST POST POST!!! Share the love. I will see what I can find.

3. midnight_tiptoes

midnight_tiptoes Head of the Day Shift

I kinda wanted to see this:

[Mom slaps Danny. Danny slaps her right back.]
    Danny: I just got a facial, bitch.

4. hyburn8

hyburn8 Hit and Run

That is what I thought he said, too. Maybe we are both wrong. :)

I can't recall who said it above, but I agree that they should have lingered on Flack in the t-shirt at the b-ball game MUCH longer. :lol: Way better than the loosened tie from last week.

5. goldnhart

goldnhart Rookie

Lindsay was awfully affected by this dead girl, just as she was in the episode where the girl mermaid was found dead in the park. Maybe she was involved in an accident with a girlfriend in high school or something, and the friend's mother blamed her.
    Honestly, I'd like to see a character who comes from a happy family and who has a happy marriage/relationship, has never been a victim, etc.

6. kasmith101

kasmith101 Rookie

Well, I gave it an A- simply for Danny's scene with the mother, and the funny interactions with the suicide girls :lol:, and the B case.

But I'm sooo disappointed :( :((yet again- same thing with the derby girls last season) at their portrayal of the Suicide Girls. They're not all one-dimensional punk girls. I'm friends with several suicide girls who are intelligent, professional, and besides an abundance of tattoos and blue hair, are perfectly normal human beings. Ok off my soapbox. :rolleyes:

I thought they could have done more to portray the "normalness" of them under the "abnormal" exterior. There was so much potential for that case, and yet it turned out so superficial! :( Oh, and there are tons of suicide girls out there, they coulda at least gotten some that could act. Good lord it was painful at times. :eek:

The basketball case was much more emotionally interesting. Too bad the Flack basketball scene didn't make it. But at least it hinted at what he did outside of work. It's nice to know he does stuff with the YMCA kids. Makes me like him even more, is that possible? :lol:

7. Dantana

Dantana Victim

Very few things that stood out in an awful episode!
    "Danny" continues to inject clever moments in disturbing circumstances. "Lindsay's" last scence with the mother was very good. What I don't understand, is the writers giving lines that don't fit the progress of the scence. When she said, "Give Lindsay the jobs nobody wants" to Danny, It just seemed to come out of nowhere.

Last weeks episode was gory but very well executed. This one was just creepy and disturbing.

By the way, I also think Edward Furlong's, Shane looks so much like Gary Sinise's, Lt. Dan. Especially in last weeks episode.

8. Showtime

Showtime Police Officer

Fail. A complete and utter failure.

Both cases were awful. One of my best friends is going to be one, and I've got a few other friends that already are. What they showed in this was just a pierced, tattooed and hair-dyed version of Playbunnies.

The second case, with 'Chopper' was almost even more ridiculous. Whose first reaction to a man crawling up is digging through a bag to slam on their head?

Lindsay's scenes were nausiating, especially the last one. I believe that Anna has some potential, but the shit that they're giving her is repulsive.

I was completely disgusted by the writing and by the cases. After last week's episode, I was expecting something half decent ... my film class could come up with something better.

Oh, and for the record? Just because it involves bisexuals, lesbians, and punk models does NOT mean it's controversial. If the show produces more episodes like this, then I hope to God it gets cancelled.

One huge F for my vote. Lower, if I could.

9. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

Totally. Punk models, bisexuals and the likes are *gasp!* actually just people like you and me! :eek: (However, it might just be 'cos I'm a mohawk-lovin', punk and goth girl who happens to have bisexual and lesbian friends. :p)

10. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

ROTFLMAO!!!!! :lol: That would have been hilarious! And more Danny than the anomoly we've seen this season.

I thought this one was pretty good. I'm going to think on it before grading it.

A few initial thoughts:

Maybe everyone set me up to think they'd be awful, but I thought the Suicide Girls were fine. A little low key, but I just chalked that up to their general attitude as a whole.

Lindsay is the most irritating character on television. "Give all the sucky jobs to Lindsay?" Is she in third grade? Seriously, grow the hell up. She could have told Danny in a mature way that she didn't want to speak to the mother, but no, she whines. I never thought I'd see Danny look mature, but it's not as if last week he refused to get into the car because Shane Casey lost a brother. Lindsay is seriously the most noxious character on television.

Danny gets hit in the face and just takes it? Someone's been drugging him again.

I thought they were going to do more with Flack and the basketball stuff? I did like when the kid called him "Blue"--he clearly recognized Flack from the court. I would have liked to see Flack play. I loved his interrogation with Stella--that was awesome. Those two run sweet interrogations--the gloves come off!

Mac's gone back into snooze mode. I did like his little joke to Stella when she read the church prayer thing.

11. Showtime

Showtime Police Officer

Thats what bugged me about it: that's not their attitude at all. The Suicide Girls I know, at least, are not like that in the slightest. They are models, just instead of being Mod, or Avant-Garde, or Couture, they're more gritty. It's a lifestyle choice, not a rebellion against the norm.

12. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Excellent comments, everyone. I think you mentioned everything I thought of after a single viewing. I was chatting as usual, so I'll have to rewatch it to get everything (I totally missed the blink-and-you'll-miss-it Flack in a t-shirt scene :().

It was definitely a letdown from last week. It didn't drag along, but I was surprised when it was halfway over because nothing really exciting had happened.

Is this Danny-and-Flack-taking-down-the-suspects thing going to happen in every episode from now on? If so, it's going to get really old, really quick. I know Flack has recovered, but if they never intended to have long-term effects of his injuries, then they shouldn't have made them so severe to begin with. A person can be gravely injured and in danger of dying without it being a gaping hole in their chest. They've really dropped the ball not showing him dealing with the long-term effects. Unless they're having him push himself too hard and then eventually end up popping the pain pills to deal with it. :rolleyes: Please, spare us. Also, that whole bit where he gets kicked in the face is not a funny bit of continuity (which is probably what the writers had in mind after the scene from "Live or Let Die" last season), it's annoying. At least give him a cut lip or something, it can be gone by next week. :rolleyes:

I wasn't enthusiastic to see Danny and Lindsay working together knowing the writers total inability to write something subtle, but my eye didn't twitch all that much. They seemed to be getting along well, which is nice, and Danny seems to be on friendly terms, with is okay--the only problem I have is that he seems to be dosed on Ritalin around her all the time now. :rolleyes: I'm not sure what the writers are going for, but it's not doing a thing for me.

I'm glad they had some continuity with the Shane Casey thing, but like someone said--isn't Hawkes still a target? Shouldn't they try to find other potential targets and attempt to protect them as well?

I'm jumping all over the place here. :lol:

Danny getting slapped by the mother was great. I love how he just took it in stride, I guess he's been there before. He did sort of get a bit angry, with the way he gave her the picture of the tattoo, but I'm glad he didn't go postal on her. (I might not be remembering the scene very accurately, though. :p)

Flack getting up in the guy's face during the interrogation after he tackled him to the ground was funny too. :p

I have a question. Lindsay was affected by this girl and the girl in "Stealing Home" from the very beginning. She doesn't get like that around all of the victims, but is it every young woman or just the ones that will conveniently tie into her personal issues (even if they can't know that just from seeing the body)? I'm trying to think of other young female victims and if her response is the same, or if the writers just include it when it's convenient.

I have to say I disliked her line to Danny about it being 'the job' when she said she'd talk to the mother toward the end. Duh, it's the job, it was always the job. What a clunker. The writers just can't avoid them, can they? :rolleyes:

The story with the basketball player was very sad. Talk about a tragic chain of events. The fact that the woman hit him with her award when he was asking for help was utterly idiotic, but the idea that one thing led to another and that he was killed but not really murdered is very sad. :(

I don't have a feeling one way or the other about the Suicide Girls. I really know nothing about them, so I can't weigh in on whether they were represented well or not. I have to say that I'm not surprised if they weren't, given the atrocity that was Jamalot last season, but...

I loved when Danny and Lindsay were talking to the girls, though, and Danny had his 'they don't pay me enough to deal with people sometimes' look on his face. When he asked the girl with the pink hair if it was her natural color, I laughed out loud. :lol:

The end was hilarious, though. Danny walks up to talk to the girl if I remember correctly, but I guess he didn't have the guts to actually go out with her. She might hurt you, sweetie, but I'm sure it would be totally worth it. :lol: When they walked off and it showed the close-up of the girl's ass and then Danny trying to look away before putting his face in his hand? Priceless! :lol: And Adam dated an SG before? :lol: That made my night, along with when Danny was trying to figure out what SG stood for. :p

Anyway, now that I've rambled and not said much, I think I'll shut up. :lol: It wasn't the worst episode ever, but after "Hung Out to Dry," it was definitely disappointing. Hopefully a second viewing will produce something more interesting from me. :p

13. LpoHeartsNick

LpoHeartsNick Rookie

I really liked this episode and not just because I am totally in love with Danny and there was a lot of him... sign... no it was more of the cute DL scenes where there were cute smiles and Danny being all worried about her... I hope they get together and make babies... tee hee hee.:DI really liked :lol: :p :)...

DL= fah life!

14. SimplyBlue

SimplyBlue Police Officer

I ended up giving the episode a B -. I didn’t think it was anything special, but I didn’t think it was horrible. The acting on the Suicide Girls behalf wasn’t stellar, but then again they’re not actresses, so it was the least of my worries.

I think I’ve pretty much decided that I can’t stand Lindsay. Whatever is going on with this secret of hers, she’s by far the most annoying and immature character (and yes, I’m comparing this even to Danny). I agree with Top that there were a million ways she could have gone about that scene on not wanting to confront the mother, but the writers reduced her into sounding like a whiny five-year-old. I tried to be open about her character, but I don’t like the way the writers have gone about it. They’ve managed to successfully make Danny into a whiny, overdramatic character, but fall short when it comes to Lindsay.

But speaking of Danny, who the hell gave that boy Ritalin? I think that’s the calmest I’ve seen him in a long time. Lol I kept waiting for him to curl his lip when the mother smacked him, but he took it like a man and carried on (only got snippy and showed her the tattoo). I thought he handled himself in a very professional and drug-induced manner.

I didn’t understand what all the controversy was involving the Suicide Girls tonight. In the interview I read, Zuiker kept making sound edgier than it really was. Other than confining them to a small role, they were rather laidback. All I kept thinking was 1) Damn those are some tall shoes and 2) Danny should have taken Nixon’s offer up (whether he was supposed to be internally conflicted with his work ethics or this absurd Lindsay conflict…I’m going with the former).

But onto the highlights:

I thought the “I appreciate you too, Stella.” comment from Mac was cute. I like watching the quirks of their friendship pop up every now and again.

I liked that Flack is involved with the YMCA. Totally adorable and just another reason to love him.

I laughed when I heard Adam once loved a Suicide Girl. I never would have pictured the cute little lab geek with someone like that. But the more I thought about it, the more it appealed to me. Sad to hear she broke his heart though.

But in this jumbled, medicine-induced review…I’m not entirely sure about the writers’ random decisions for continuity. I’m glad they mentioned Shane Casey here and there, and not just randomly pulled him up in a later episode, but fail to do anything with Superman!Flack and the effects of the bombing. Though I’m not entirely sure if I like the Stella continuity coming up in the next episode. Never in my life have I considered myself a feminist, but to have both your main female characters lagging due to dark secrets/horrible events….and then touch nothing with the men (maybe with the exclusion of Danny), it just seems…I don’t know a little too heavy. I mean, of all the stuff they have to work with...they decide to pick on Stella?

So all in all, it wasn't horrible, but wasn't great.

15. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Glad to hear I'm not alone in this. I groaned when I saw the preview. It feels like the women are getting shafted this year again...let's make them look like emotional wrecks who can't handle their jobs. :rolleyes: Grrreeeat. :rolleyes:

I know Danny was a whiny brat in much of season one, but I'd take that over sabotaging the female characters on the show any day. At least it felt original. And it was hilarious when midnight would make fun of him. :lol: