The Rest In Peace & Remembrance Thread

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by Destiny, Jul 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Coroner

Re: The Rest In Peace & Remembrance Thread

The Flintstones animator dead at 94

The animator who designed TV cartoon characters such as Fred Flintstone, Barney Rubble and Yogi Bear has died at age 94.

Ed Benedict joined the groundbreaking Hanna-Barbera TV animation studio in the late 1950s.

"He was quite an interesting fellow, that's for sure," said his longtime friend, David K. Sheldon.

"He was the main character designer for all the early Hanna-Barbera cartoons, Yogi Bear, Huckleberry Hound, Quick Draw McGraw."

For The Flintstones series about a "modern Stone Age family," Benedict designed cavemen Fred and Barney and their wives and children, as well as an array of Stone Age houses and gadgets, including foot-powered cars.

One of the first cartoon series created for adults as well as children, The Flintstones debuted in 1960 and was an immediate hit. Forty-six years later, Fred and Barney remain squarely in the public consciousness as pitchmen for various products, including Flintstones vitamins.

Before joining Hanna-Barbera, Benedict worked for another cartoon legend, Tex Avery, at both Universal and MGM studios.

Benedict, who was predeceased by his wife, Alice, had requested that his ashes be scattered over California's Carmel Bay.

2. softballgirl22

softballgirl22 Witness

i know you said that you feel sorry, but still, that's messed up. Cory died and you're talking about how the Red Sox have a better advantage for next season.

3. Calihan

Calihan Captain

Listen up, he was saying that it was a huge loss for the Yankees, and I was that it's good for the Red Sox sports-wise.

If you have any onther complaints feel free to PM me.

4. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Hey Hey now calm down, While I am not one of the mods of the forum, it would be in the best interest that everyone take a deep breath and relax until the mods of this forum get in here.

5. Cat

Cat Head of the Swing Shift

Hi there. Please do not argue. This is a thread to remember the people who have died and to respect them. Please, if you don't have anything nice or constructive to say, don't say anything at all.

6. iwantboromir

iwantboromir CSI Level One

Back to the reason for this thread.....

Freddy Fender, the "Bebop Kid" of
    the Texas-Mexico border who later turned his twangy tenor into the
    smash country ballad "Before the Next Teardrop Falls," died
    Saturday. He was 69.
    Fender, who was diagnosed with lung cancer in early 2006, died
    at noon at his Corpus Christi home with his family at his bedside,
    said Ron Rogers, a family spokesman.
    Over the years, he grappled with drug and alcohol abuse, was
    treated for diabetes and underwent a kidney transplant.
    Fender hit it big in 1975 after some regional success, years of
    struggling - and a stint in prison - when "Before the Next
    Teardrop Falls" climbed to No. 1 on the pop and country charts.
    "Wasted Days and Wasted Nights" rose to No. 1 on the country
    chart and top 10 on the pop chart that same year, while "Secret
    Love" and "You'll Lose a Good Thing" also hit No. 1 in the
    country charts.

7. Destiny

RIP Freddy, your voice will live on with the many great songs you have done, may peace surround and heal your family.

8. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell Head of the Swing Shift

Rest in peace Freddy. :(

9. Destiny

I have to admit from the Interview Freddy did he had a definite sense of humor. "Whenever I run into prejudice," he told The Washington Post in 1977, "I smile and feel sorry for them, and I say to myself, `There's one more argument for birth control."

Regarding his Name and how he came by it, "Born Baldemar Huerta" -- "renaming himself "Fender" after the brand of his electric guitar, "Freddy" because it sounded good with Fender."

But definitly had a sense of himeself and his life. "Whenever I run into prejudice," he told The Washington Post in 1977, "I smile and feel sorry for them, and I say to myself, `There's one more argument for birth control."

10. katpin31791

katpin31791 CSI Level Three

I loved his song WD/WN. He will surely be missed.

11. meshellb2001

meshellb2001 Lab Technician

Father Knows Best- Jane Wyatt passed away

Jane Wyatt, the lovely, serene actress who for six years on "Father Knows Best" was one of TV's favorite moms, has died, said her publicist. She was 96.
    Wyatt died Friday in her sleep of natural causes at her home in Bel-Air, according to publicist Meg McDonald. Her death also was confirmed by Bernard Johnson of the funeral home Gates, Kingsley & Gates Moeller Murphy Funeral Directors.
    Wyatt had a successful film career in the 1930s and '40s, notably as Ronald Colman's lover in 1937's "Lost Horizon."
    But it was her years as Robert Young's TV wife, Margaret Anderson, on "Father Knows Best" that brought the actress her lasting fame.
    She appeared in 207 half-hour episodes from 1954 to 1960 and won three Emmys as best actress in a dramatic series in the years 1958 to 1960.
    "Being a family show, we all had to stick around," she once said. "Even though each show was centered on one of the five members of the family, I always had to be there to deliver such lines as `Eat your dinner, dear,' or `How did you do in school today?' We got along fine, but after the first few years, it's really difficult to have to face the same people day after day."
    The Anderson children were played by Elinor Donahue, Billy Gray and Lauren Chapin, and all grew up on the show. In later years, critics claimed that shows like "Father Knows Best" and "Ozzie and Harriet" presented a glossy, unreal view of the American family.
    In defense, Wyatt commented in 1966: "We tried to preserve the tradition that every show had something to say. The children were complicated personally, not just kids. We weren't just five Pollyannas."

12. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

Also from the Associated Press obit on Jane Wyatt:

The role wasn't the only time in her 60 years in films and TV that Wyatt was cast as the warm, compassionate wife and mother. She even played Mr. Spock's mom in the original "Star Trek" series and the feature "Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home."

13. katpin31791

katpin31791 CSI Level Three

Yeah I loved her playing Spocks mom. She'll be missed.

14. Destiny

'Counselor at Law' Star Dies
    <SNIPS>
    Arthur Hill, a veteran actor whose career was punctuated by two distinctly different roles — the weary, abused husband in the Broadway production of "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" and the stalwart attorney in the television series "Owen Marshall: Counselor at Law" — has died. He was 84.

Hill died Sunday of Alzheimer's disease at an assisted-living facility in Pacific Palisades, according to his son, Douglas.

In addition to his son, he is survived by his second wife, Anne-Sophie Taraba; a stepdaughter, Daryn Sherman; a step-granddaughter; and two sisters.

There will be no services.

15. Calihan

Calihan Captain

According to Wikipedia Trevor Berbick was murdered today at age 51.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.