Forensics in High School

Discussion in 'Forensic Science' started by pilgrim, Oct 5, 2006.

1. pilgrim

pilgrim Rookie

Teaching Inspector Clouseau to Be Sherlock Holmes
    By JILL P. CAPUZZO
    Published: September 24, 2006
    NYTimes

WATCH where you walk. Don't touch or move anything. You can make maps, take notes. I'll be back to get you in a little while.''

With those simple instructions, William Wheeler, a science teacher, let loose the first group of five high school juniors and seniors in a classroom once used to teach music but now marked by blood smears on the floor, a dinner table set with partly eaten chili and half-smoked cigarettes and a bloodied wooden baton and cotton cloth.

Jessica Villante gave a short gasp when she first saw the blood, then got down to business, examining the bloody baton and what she thought was a shoelace.

''Maybe they hit them over the head with that,'' she said, pointing to the baton as she surmised about an unknown victim and an unknown assailant.

Meanwhile, her classmate Mike Dowbysz noticed lipstick on the rim of a Champagne flute and saw that one cigarette had been smoked more than the other.

Six minutes later, Mr. Wheeler returned, replacing these students with the next group, who spent time measuring distances and drawing pictures.

This was fourth-period science class at Jackson Memorial High School -- where forensic science is being offered for the first time this fall. The course proved to be so popular that the school had to open up extra sessions for the 180 students who signed up.

''Originally, we planned for two sessions, but when I saw the numbers that were interested, we had to change the schedule,'' said Daniel McDevitt, an assistant principal who pushed for the new elective course, which combines skills learned in chemistry, biology and physical science classes.

The enthusiastic response can be traced in part to the popular forensic police-procedure shows on television, like the ''C.S.I.'' series. But students in the class, while acknowledging that they watched the shows, were more interested in the practical nature of the course. ''It's like real life,'' said Zocema Babar, a student who said she was interested in pursuing a career in forensics. ''It's really hands on. Plus, there's not a lot of homework.''

Mr. Dowbysz said he wants to be a chemical engineer, while Ms. Villante is interested in medicine, and both can see how this course could dovetail with their career aspirations.

In the coming weeks, students will learn about fingerprinting, ballistics, toxicology, pathology, autopsies, DNA blood typing and fiber analysis. Future crime scenes may be set up outdoors.

The idea for the course came from Mr. Wheeler, who has taught biology for 35 years and has included a short unit on forensics at the end of the year for his advanced placement biology students as a reward for completing that grueling class.

When he suggested it as a full, elective course, Mr. McDevitt asked him to put together a course description and requirements to present to the school board. The board was fully supportive, Mr. McDevitt said, even when Mr. Wheeler needed to buy a gallon of cow's blood and a supply of luminol, a blood-detection chemical.

Noting that ''we tend to walk through society with tunnel vision,'' Mr. Wheeler said he hoped the class would help sharpen students' ability to observe and analyze: as it turned out, the stage set in the music room was not of a crime scene at all, but rather the scene of an accident. One person used the cloth, wrapped around the baton, as a tourniquet to stop the other person from bleeding.

Mr. Wheeler is also eager to expose students to something new. ''We're not trying to turn out forensic scientists, but maybe some of them will go into this in college,'' he said. ''Everybody doesn't have to be a doctor or a lawyer.''

2. ItDBMe

ItDBMe Witness

Wow, that's awesome. I wish my high school would have thought of something like that before I graduated. Too bad they didn't.

3. pilgrim

pilgrim Rookie

Yes, my daughter wishes that she had it as part of her biology program.

By the way, I'm nosy this way - I check profiles, it's great that you're a Disney Character. I won't ask which one or which Disney - too personal for the internet.

4. WolfeSanders

WolfeSanders CSI Level One

Oh wow! I would love to go to that school! I have a petition going around school as of 1 week ago for a Forensic Club, but I don't know how popular it's going to be. There were 23 people the last time I checked, but keep your fingers crossed for me =)

5. greenplastic

greenplastic Witness

My high school offered a forensic science class, too. You had to have gotten really good grades in your chemistry and biology classes and needed like a recommendation. It was supposedly really hard, so they only wanted dedicated students to take it. I am wishing now that I had.

6. strictly_sane

strictly_sane Civilian

First of all, hi Ive never posted so please dont hate me, and second, I have a online club but whenever anyone goes there they think im a freak because the pictures are gory.

7. cooked_brains

cooked_brains Dead on Arrival

My high school offers forensic class! I'm currently taking it even though the course is usually only offered to seniors and juniors (I'm supposed to be a sophomore this year).

We never really do get alot of homework. =) It's great!

8. szmandatogoholic

szmandatogoholic CSI Level One

There's a Forensics Club at my high school. They have meetings and go to stuff like that. (Debates, I think they called it.) Anyways, I don't think it, in any way, is related to CSI. But I'm going to talk to a friend and see if we can get a CSI class started. It'd be awesome!

9. WolfeSanders

WolfeSanders CSI Level One

I think that is really cool if you have a class at your school. If I had one at mine, I would be in it quicker than you could even say 'Forensic.' :D

I love your icon Szmandatogoholic!

10. CSIannalysse

CSIannalysse CSI Level Two

I decided to take Triple Science for my science GCSE (General Certificate of Secondary Education), then later on I receieved a sheet about double and triple science awards.... guess which one does forensics, NOT triple science where there is more prestige and an extra GCSE for sure! I was a little annoyed that I wasn't told about it considering I was the one who told the school to consider it when I was in year 9!

However, I was assured that it's only the tiny basics so I relaxed a little, at least I'll get into University easier with 3 science GCSEs when all the forensics people only have two. :)

11. thegluups

thegluups Prime Suspect

In my school, I'm doing a project on ballistics for my graduation exam. It's nice having forenscis as a subject, but what is it exactly? You were talking about the examination of the crime scene, but shouldn't it be moire on the techniques of anylising, treating DNA, chemicals...so on and so forth, rather then just a theatrical crime scene. I mean, forensics isn't just about investigating, most forensics scientist probably have never even seen one. I 'm sorry if what I said sounds a bit nasty, I don't want to be agressive. What I'm trying to say, is by only using the theatrical aspect of forensics, you get people taking this course at uni and then discovering that in act, it's a lot more technical (but still great!!!!) then they thought. Crime scenes get people into forencis, but you also need to show the real work behing it...
    PS : and CSIannalysse, nice work ne your three GCSES, triple science is one of the toughest!

12. CSI_Sidle2399

CSI_Sidle2399 Rookie

lucky i want to do it at my highschool but they don't offer it

13. Jan

Jan Civilian

Hi, I am new to this but would welcome some help.

I am interested to know if there is a list or something of CSI episodes - probably just certain parts - that would be suitable for schools studying forensic science.

It's a good idea to use interesting shows to engage kids but teachers generally lack the time to make a search.

Any help appreciated - thanks:cool

14. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

That's a good question. I think someone who actually knows more about Forensics science would be best to pick eps that are really good references for study. Hopefully someone will come around and respond.

15. Bullit_01

Bullit_01 Hit and Run

There are 2 videos of forensic techniques on this website . One is of the 'Pathfinder' electrostatic lifting device, the other is of a 'Stab Simulator'. The Pathfinder machine is still in use, the stab simulator is more about the mechanics of a stab wound than a crimescene technique. PM me if you want to know more about it.