Grade 'Love Run Cold'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Oct 5, 2006.

1. detectdevotion

detectdevotion Police Officer

Acutally, my favorite part of the episode was that Stella was one step ahead of Mac AND Hawkes. I liked that she was outsmarting them both -- that's the Stella I remember from Season 1, put together and smart.

I still say I missed the "extraneous distractions" -- especially because they normally provide a humourous break from all the emo!danny.

Also, I almost forgot how good Flack was in interrogation. Let's see some more of that!

2. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Flack's little sing-song line? It could either sound kind of sexy, or really creepy. Votes for Eddie as a bad-guy in a movie? *raises hand* :lol:

You guys have had some excellent back and forth discussion without me. :lol: The only two things that I wanted to mention are this:

Is there seriously anybody on this board who dislikes Lindsay because she filled the hole that Aiden left when she got fired? I keep seeing people claim that anybody who doesn't like Lindsay is just mad that she 'replaced' Aiden, but I honestly cannot think of anybody who actually feels that way. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, a number of people have denied this vehemently every time that it's been mentioned. I don't have a problem with Lindsay because she filled Aiden's spot on the team. I have a problem with Lindsay all on her own. Aiden didn't have anything to do with that. Hell, if I'm honest, Aiden wasn't exactly my favorite character anyway, and of all of the people to leave I was relieved that it was her. *shrug*

and this:

If Lindsay smirks at Danny or stares at him, it can be taken as a sign of attraction. So I feel free to think the same for Flack looking at Danny. Do I think the writers intend for Flack to be infatuated with Danny? No. Shipping is separate from the show for me, it's taking something like a look, and building on it. ;) I think the chemistry that I see between these two is based on how the actors get along on screen, not what the writers include in the script. I've never denied that they're good friends, but I like to think outside the box. :p

3. Lynsey_Monroe

Lynsey_Monroe Dead on Arrival

I'm only going by what I've seen my dear, and also what I've experienced off the forums. Many people have admitted to me that they don't like Lindsay because she is a replacement for Aiden.

Keep in mind just because you haven't seen it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist ;)

4. Guest

Guest Guest

"^hidinginmyeyes, do you stare at your friend like she's the only thing on the planet that matters when you see her?"

No, Top41, I don't, but I don't see Don doing that to Danny either. I just don't see it. I haven't seen all of season 2. Is that where this got started? I'll be getting it on DVD when it's available. I think it's more just that Eddie Cahill is the kind of guy who likes to make eye contact with people. I've noticed that in some video interviews I've seen him do. And it's inevitable that some of the actor's personality traits are going to come out in their performances. I mean, if there is some sort of attraction so evident there, wouldn't that mean that the directors want it that way? Or am I mixing up fandom ship with onscreen ship? It's a little confusing. Is it something that D/F shippers are reading into it on their own? Or do you actually, truly see it onscreen between the two actors? See what I mean? It's confusing... I'm not a DL shipper but I have seen stuff happening between Danny and Lindsay. I don't really care who gets together with who, but I'm into relationships and I love to see and/or read them between people, romantic or otherwise.

5. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Well, since TalkCSI discussion is meant to revolve around stuff on TalkCSI, I'm just going by what I've seen on this site. Yes, I've seen people say they miss Aiden, etc, but I don't think it's accurate to say that people who dislike Lindsay do so because of Aiden. What I see people discuss over and over again is their unhappiness with the acting, the characterization, the inconsistencies, etc--none of that has to do with Aiden leaving and everything to do with Lindsay Monroe the character. :)

Regarding the Danny/Flack thing--we all see what we see. Some people look at a scene between two characters and see something that another person misses. Maybe because they're open to seeing it, maybe because the idea is already in their minds. *shrug* I can honestly say that yes, I myself see something between the two characters, during the first two seasons and then in this past episode this season as well. That doesn't mean there's something 'there' or that everyone will see it, but I do and that's enough for me. ;) Yes, D/F shippers read into things, expand on them, develop them in discussion and fanfiction, but most ships grow out of something from the actual show itself, whether it's a popular idea or not. ;)

6. Guest

Guest Guest

^^Ok, Faylinn, I think I get it now. You see something between the characters, not the actors. I was starting to think that you, or the D/F shippers, were implying that Eddie and Carmine have a thing for each other that translates into their performance. That's not what you're saying. Right? I suppose it is a matter of perception on an individual level. We can each read whatever we want into things whether they are intended or not. There's never a shortage of things to get one thinking. I'd say that if you're not specifically *into* the idea of a same sex couple, you wouldn't read anything into the interaction between Danny and Flack. Not that I'm a homophobe; I'm defintely not, but it just doesn't occur to me every time I see two guys who are friends to turn them into lovers. I don't know, maybe I'm not making sense and I certainly don't mean to offend anyone. And this isn't the shipper forum, sorry! Didn't mean to get off track. I don't go to the shipper forums at all.

7. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

detectdevotion, I liked seeing Stella on back on her game, too! I hated the episode "All Access" in part because I thought Stella acted out of character (much like I felt Danny did in this episode). It's nice to see the writers once again acknowledging she's the show's sharpest character.

Yeah, I thought that all was very poorly done, and with a little more effort, they could have improved it. I heard in early drafts Danny was angry, which makes a lot more sense given what we know of his character.

No, that's true, people might not just fall into bed even after a mutual attraction is evident, especially if they're co-workers. They definitely would want to exercise some caution there, given that no matter what happens personally, they still have to work together.

I guess what I most object to is that the whole sudden change of heart seems more like a cheap device to keep them apart and drag out the storyline, rather than anything genuine. Lindsay spent a year trying to get close to Danny, so her behavior seemed as inconsistent as that of Danny, who has flirted but never really pursued her (and went into overdrive in this episode).

I know it's all related to her dark secret, but did we really need this interaction at all? If they're going to delve into her dark secret, why does Danny need to factor in?

I thought Anna was very good, but Carmine's performance was a little surface. We've seen him get emotional, and I didn't see it here. I would have prefered to see angry Danny, because Carmine does angry Danny really well.

Same here! :)

Yeah, there's a lot in there--it's such a beautiful book. The ending makes me cry every time. And the scene with the dad and the ships in the bottles.

Somebody get the screencaps! :lol:

The episodes it's most evident in are "Blood, Sweat and Tears," "On the Job," "Trapped," "Necrophilia Americana," "Run Silent, Run Deep," "Stealing Home"...there are others that I know I'm forgetting--maybe someone else can fill them in. Basically, check out their first scene in "Blood, Sweat and Tears" in the apartment--I think it's quite noticeable there. ;) I even spotted the staring in "Not What It Looks Like"--when they're at the air shaft, Flack is talking to both Stella and Danny, but he's only looking at Danny.

Flack and Danny are really, really good friends so if you want to take it as Flack simply looking at his friend a lot, that's obviously a valid interpretation. Like Fay said, people look at the show and see what they're going to see from their perspective. It's true of every character and every ship--some people love a character, while others hate that character...some people see loads of chemistry between two characters, while others don't see it at all. To each their own--it's what makes for good discussion here.

8. kinkapoodles

kinkapoodles Judge

Why exactly would we be implying anything about Eddie and Carmine??? :confused: We're talking about Danny and Flack the characters. Eddie and Carmine are good friends off camera so that does play into their onscreen friendship but we're not saying they have a thing for each other. Nobody's implied that Carmine and Anna have a thing for each other and we know the writers want them together.

We can debate this all day but everybody sees what they see. I myself see Flack having an infatuation with Danny. I see him staring at him all the time no matter what they're doing, where they are, or who they're talking to. He just stares at him like he's mesmerized by him. I have seen this since season 1. I've always seen this and I like to expand on it in the D/F shipper thread and in fanfic.

I wasn't into the idea of a same sex couple before Danny and Flack. I immediately saw something there. Just because I see something between Danny and Flack (not Eddie and Carmine), doesn't mean I see something between all men who are friends and think they will be sleeping together. Why would I think that? :confused: I had to chuckle when I read that. :p

It's really simple. If you don't like slash, you're not gonna like Danny and Flack together. You're not gonna see it either. Hey, that's fine with us Danny/Flack shippers. We're not asking anyone to like our ship, just to respect our thoughts.

On the other hand, I'm not a DL shipper. I see absolutely nothing between them but I don't question anybody else who does. I just don't see it. I don't see chemistry and I don't see anything between them. That's my opinions and I respect the opinions of those who love DL.

9. Lynsey_Monroe

Oh I'm sorry. I figured that we could relate to things off of the forum as well.

Goodness. No need to get hostile.

edit: I'm starting to feel like if my opinion differs from others, it's wrong :p That's not a nice feeling.

10. kinkapoodles

kinkapoodles Judge

Maybe it's just me but I didn't see that as hostile. It's just whenever anyone says they don't like Lindsay, everybody says it's because of Aiden. That couldn't be further from the truth. I liked Aiden. She wasn't my favorit but I liked her. I respect Vanessa Ferlito's decision to leave the show and disliking Lindsay had nothing to do with that.

11. Top41

That's not the case, but basically stating that people dislike a character for one specific reason is kind of making a broad assumption, don't you think? It's very dismissive to just say people dislike Lindsay because Aiden left, especially after people have listed the reasons they don't like her character. Trust me, if you respect other's opinions around here, people will respect yours. :)

Ditto. No one is implying Eddie and Carmine are in love (Eddie has a girlfriend!) anymore than people are implying that Carmine and Anna are in love (Anna has a husband!). This is all discussion about the characters.

That's what I see, and I find it interesting and downright cute. I'd love to see them explore Flack's interest in Danny.

All men who are friends don't sleep together??? :confused: You've tanked like, half my fantasies there. :lol: I jest, I jest. :lol: But yeah, it's only Danny and Flack for me, and not something I was looking for. I just saw Flack's staring and his devotion to Danny and started wondering. :D

Exactly--again, what makes this place great is that we all bring different opinions to the table. Good fodder for discussion. :)

12. Lynsey_Monroe

I've seen people comment on it. The majority of the time I mention I like Lindsay, or think the D/L idea is something I would enjoy, I'm met with harsh words.

I just think that everyone has a valid opinion, but it's just that. An opinion.. and other's opinions shouldn't be put down, insulted, etc.

Maybe I'm taking it harder than it was intended. And if so, I apologize, but I stand by what I said. I have seen people state that Aiden was replaced by Lindsay. Be it in real life, or on the forum. I have seen it. I'm not pulling this out of my tush. Why would I? That seems a little silly, and the implication that I'd lie about something silly like that.. just irritates me.

So once again.. I apologize if I've offended.

13. Lynsey_Monroe

I never once stated that the only possible reason people could not like Lindsay is because of her replacing Aiden. Not once.
    Please don't assume that. I'm really not a horrible "my way or the highway" person. I do respect other's opinions providing they don't misinterpret mine, and tell me mine are incorrect.

14. Top41

^Ok, so can we get back on topic here, please? It's time to drop this. Thanks.

15. Lynsey_Monroe

Gladly. I was just trying to defend myself. That's all :)