Grade 'Love Run Cold'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Oct 5, 2006.

1. kinkapoodles

kinkapoodles Judge

I wasn't very impressed with this episode. :( The cases kinda bored me but I'm gonna watch the episode again later.

You read my mind. :p I would love if they did that. It's so obvious Flack's got it bad for Danny and IMO, they have better chemistry than DL.

Lindsay's line of "It's not you, it's me" is a cop out. That's what you tell someone when you aren't interested and don't wanna hurt their feelings. I did believe her when she said that she really did like him but I'm wondering to what degree. Then she did her disappearing act again. Couldn't get away from him fast enough. :rolleyes:

I was very disappointed in Danny. Could he possibly whine any more than he did? :eek: Geez, I'll agree that Lindsay was a little childish in standing him up and she could have picked up a phone and called him or better yet, why accept the date in the first place? He did deserve an honest answer out of her as to why she never showed but did it have to drag on the entire episode? It took over the whole show. :(

Although, their little scene out on the sidewalk and Danny wanting to eat was cute. Then Lindsay ruined it by totally dismissing Danny. Geez, could she had run away any faster? All of the sudden it's all about her. Just get this big secret out in the open so we can resume working on cases.

My favorite parts of the show were the Danny/Flack scenes. :D Those were the only times in the entire episode where Danny seemed like the old Danny we all love. Flack always has a way of calming Danny down even if it's only just by being around him. I didn't see whiny, sad Danny when he was with Flack. Hopefully they'll be working together much more this season. Also, could Flack possibly stare at Danny any more than he does? :rolleyes: It's so cute. :p

What's with Stella covering up "the girls"? :eek: I enjoy seeing what kind of low cut tops she wears every week. Although, that white shirt did zip so, it could go either way. :devil:

2. Lynsey_Monroe

Lynsey_Monroe Dead on Arrival

Well, this is going to be a long one. I gave the episode an A-. Let me give you some history before I explain why.

I started watching CSI: NY attentively last season. I tried watching it in the beginning, but the timing of the show conflicted with my very busy schedule.
    Because I had more time to play around, I started to pick it up towards the end of Season 2.

I can't remember which episode it was that I started watching religiously, but it was one where there was minimal interaction between Danny and Lindsay. From the moment he called her "Montana" I knew that Danny had some sort of feelings for Lindsay. Plus, the obvious twinkle in his eye.

I found that he became fairly over protective of her, but in subtle ways. Ways that one may not notice right away, but to the observant eye, were catchable.

From that first episode that made me become hooked, I've been rooting for them to get together. I found Lindsay as a very relatable girl. Atleast I could relate to her, as opposed to Stella and Aiden who are so radically different from my personality it's not funny.

I know I'm not alone in thinking that this build up of emotions between Lindsay and Danny has been going on for quite some time. The water cooler was always abuzz with talk after an episode, and many people agreed with me.

On this forum however, I'm finding alot of people thoroughly dislike Lindsay. I can understand that, because in essence she replaced Aiden. I know alot of people really liked Aiden, but you know what? This is a show.. characters leave.. die.. and actors find other jobs. Yea the character might be important to you, but I really feel that it wasn't a replacement. Lindsay is a new character, with a completely different personality, and you can't blame her (or Anna) for "taking the place" of Aiden.

In regards to the episode last night, I was certainly awaiting it quite anxiously. I saw the preview, and was looking forward to both parties (Danny and Lindsay) finally admitting their affections for each other.

Was I disapointed? Hell no. The episode had one of the most interesting murders I have seen in a long time. The icicle is the perfect murder weapon (Haha Lovely Bones reference). Then there was the marathon runner. Yeah, that was a little predictable... but it was still interesting.

The Lindsay / Danny portion of the episode was well done. Typically when a guy likes a girl, he does make a bit of a tit of himself. Danny did that.

Lindsay may have shown affection for Danny in season 2, but I think that when she finally realized that she could actually have him, the reality set in and she became a little scared. The characters in this show are not infaliable. They make mistakes and they change.

Also if the thing that made Lindsay a CSI affects her love life, then maybe she realized that she wasn't ready. How can you know you're not ready if you don't try. My guess is she probably got ready to go on that date and freaked herself out.

The episode had a little more drama than crime this time, however, without the drama, without the characters that interact with each other, and possibly fall for each other (which does happen to some people who work together in the REAL WORLD), the show wouldn't be unique. It'd be too similar to other shows.

So all in all, I think it was a good episode. I try not to take a show too seriously. Besides, the writers can't please everyone..

:)
    edit: I didn't mean for this post to offend anyone, so if you are offended or annoyed with me, I apologize.

3. detectdevotion

detectdevotion Police Officer

I missed Angell and Adam, too. I thought it would be a great way to have Angell work more with Hawkes...get that Wings thing going in earnest!

Also, you're right about Sid...but I like that he didn't get all "creepy" in this episode. He's keepin' it fresh! :lol:

4. PrettyEyes

PrettyEyes Pathologist

I'm giving the episode a B+ after watching it three times.

The stories were okay; not lackluster, not phenomenal, just okay.

The suspects were predictable. Hurt boyfriend? Cliche. Hurt sister? Cliche, but you had to work for that one a little. As soon as you saw the wheelchair-ramp in the photographer's apartment, you just knew she was the one (but kudos for weaving the wheelchair-racer's backstory into the motive). Honestly, there aren't a lot of shows that go into that much depth for disabilities, and proving that paralysis or amputation isn't the equivalent of death was poignantly moving, in my book.

I liked the Danny/Lindsay situation. The writers are setting up Anna's storyline perfectly. However, in the TV Guide article Carmine said they had planned an "intimate scene" last season, so how do you go from intimate scene to standing him up? Writers lacking consistency in that respect.

It was nice to see just the core cast last night; no extraneous distractions to get in the way!

5. csiboy

csiboy Dead on Arrival

I give an A-. I thought the casees were only okay, and the scene when the two girls confront each other about one sitting in the other's chair seemed silly to me. I am not a shipper, but I thought the D/L tension worked really well. I thought they both did really great in the last scene. Especially Lindsay and all the emotions of having to tell someone you really like that you're not able to be with them for complicated reasons that you can't even really/don't want to discuss.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

"Lindsay may have shown affection for Danny in season 2, but I think that when she finally realized that she could actually have him, the reality set in and she became a little scared. The characters in this show are not infaliable. They make mistakes and they change."

I'm glad you said this; I was trying to find a way to say it myself. It's often the man rather than the woman who gets cold feet but it can work either way. I don't know why people wouldn't think it was believable that Lindsay could have second thoughts when it came right down to it. Also, she may have realized that a relationship with Danny would be intense to say the least. That could scare anyone who had issues from the past.

As for Flack's supposed infatuation with Danny, I have a close friend, someone I really value as a friend, and when she shows up I sort of squeal her name and go give her a big hug, but that doesn't mean I'm in love with her or want to take her to bed with me. She's just such an awesome person and such a great friend that she makes me happy to be around her. We get along great and it shows. But there's nothing sexual there. So I think that, setting aside the whole leaving the hospital thing, that Danny and Don are just great friends and enjoy each other's company. That doesn't mean they want to jump in the shower together. No disrespect to the D/F shippers. It's a big world and there are all kinds of people in it with all kinds of different viewpoints, likes and dislikes. I just don't see that aspect of it.

7. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

^hidinginmyeyes, do you stare at your friend like she's the only thing on the planet that matters when you see her? ;) I've never shipped a same sex couple before, but Flack's staring at Danny and their cute banter pretty much sold me on it. Again, a lot of the reason I'd like to see that addressed is because of what an original and daring storyline it would be. How would Flack feel if Danny realized how Flack feels about him? How would Danny react? Would Flack own up to it? It could make for plenty of angst, and would be pretty revolutionary, at least in terms of network TV in general and the CSI shows specifically.

audrina, I see what you're saying about people sometimes needing time to themselves to work stuff out. I've been there, too, but usually during those times I actually, you know, kept to myself and didn't pursue anyone, only to turn around and basically reject the guy, which is essentially what Lindsay did. And that's a big part of my problem with the character--she's completely and totally inconsistent.

And no, not every couple that shares a mutual attraction jumps into bed together, but generally adults do act on attraction. In high school and college it might be different--Drama with a capital D rules then :lol: --but more often than not, adults are going to act on an attraction.

I know this is TV and they're trying to drag the whole Danny/Lindsay thing out, but they could have avoided cliches like "it's not you, it's me." That's just lazy writing and there's no excuse for it.

I do agree that Lindsay probably wanted to go out on the date with Danny, and then changed her mind at the last minute. Not calling was rude, but she's not the most polite character. Still, as someone else said, she could have owned up to it and flat out told Danny how she was feeling rather than making him pretty much have to chase her around for an answer.

Danny whining about lunch was a low for the character. I know he's whiny and dramatic, but that scene was just absurd. He's in theory supposed to be an adult. :lol:

Lynsey_Monroe, good catch on the The Lovely Bones reference with the icicle! :D That's one of my all time favorite books!

8. Lynsey_Monroe

I completely agree. I thought the way it ended up was very believable. What I hate about telvision these days is everything is black and white with no middle ground. In real life things don't always work out, or things aren't always THAT terrible. She didn't push him away forever. I thought she was giving him the cold shoulder until she said "A LOT!" There was alot of conviction in that. You could tell she wasn't just saying it to soften the blow, and she wasn't referring to just friends.

I thought it was well thought out, and I trust the writers to take it in the right direction in the future.

Thanks! The minute I saw that I thought "Whoa! Awesome!" It's one of my favorite books too.

A little off topic, but did you know that Peter Jackson (the director of Lord of the Rings and King Kong) has the rights to make that movie? They're in the process of casting it, and it's due to come out in 2007!

9. Top41

^Is it Peter Jackson? Really? Wow, that could be interesting! I'm very curious to see how the movie will come out. I loved the book, but there's a lot of stuff in it that could be difficult to transition well to film. Still, I have high hopes especially with Jackson involved, and I'll definitely be seeing it. :D People, if you haven't read The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold, check it out! It's an amazing read.

On topic :lol: , I forgot to mention last night that I totally noticed Eddie had a cold! Flack sounded so congested in that first scene. Poor boy!

10. Lynsey_Monroe

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0380510/

I watch that website every once and a while to see who they would cast as Susie.

Back on topic! :D I did notice that Eddie seemed a little stuffy! Haha it just made his sing-song line that much more amusing though ;)

11. Top41

^Sweet! The book is in good hands, though I kind of wish Sebold was involved in writing the screenplay. I always feel more confident when the author of the book has a hand in the screenplay. I wonder who will get the role of Susie, too. I think Emily Van Camp from Everwood would be a good choice, though she might be too old now. They'll probably go with an unknown.

Yeah, I liked that sing-song line too! That was very cute--I wonder if Eddie ad-libbed that or if it was in the script, or something the director told him to do.

12. Lynsey_Monroe

After how well Lord of the Rings turned out, I completely trust Pete Jackson. If he gets out of line Fran Walsh'll sock him in the back of the head.

I bet Eddie did add-lib! There's a bit in Friends when he played Tag where he was on the scooter, and did a thumbs up thing. That was add-libbed. He was just supposed to go by on the scooter.

He's creative like that :D

13. MrsGiovinazzo

MrsGiovinazzo CSI Level Three

I totally agree. While I don't know the exact ages of the characters, I'd gather they're kinda 30-ish. By that stage in life, they've played all the lame ass games that come with youth and are mature enough to address attractions and emotions in a straight-forward manner. Drama doesn't keep people their age apart. In real life, if they wanted to be together, they would be. It's that simple. If the writers choose to continue their pursuit of this chemistry-less relationship, they could at least do it justice by infusing a bit of honesty into in and eliminating the high school games. If Lindsey truly likes Danny a lot, as she says, she should come clean to him about whatever her alleged obstacle is and see if it's one they can overcome.

That was weird! But the desperation didn't even feel like Danny. It felt completely out of character and off-balance. I could see Danny being freakin' pissed about getting stood up and coming into work the next day demanding a reasonable explanation (which I don't think he did very effectively), but I really can't see him falling to the point of begging Lindsey to grab a slice of pizza with him. Did he really even want the pizza that badly? If talking to her was what he really wanted, why didn't he just say so? To me, it was bizarre the way the discussion of what happened occurred at the end of the episode. Shouldn't that have been addressed directly at the first available opportunity? I get the idea that the tension was supposed to build until finally Danny couldn't take it and just had to confront her, but c'mon, neither of them dealt with the situation in a realistic, adult manner. I don't fault either of the actors. I think it's poor writing.

14. Top41

15. audrina

audrina Police Officer

I agree that the eppy was uneven. I don't like that Lindsay just stood him up, and I thought in parts Danny was out of character. I also wish they hadn't gone with "It's not you, etc" cliche. Lazy writing there - they could have at least worded it differently.

My only point in disagreement is that sometimes you don't realize you're afraid of something until you're actually on the cusp of doing it. I had this happen to me and others -- and well out of our college years! I also think as coworkers it's actually very realistic that they didn't just fall into bed ... many don't do that, whatever the age.

Still, I agree on much of the akwardness, although I thought the final scene was well-acted.

Thanks for the discussion, guys! Lots of points of view, no nastiness. I like it.

PS: LOVELY BONES was excellent - read it a few times just to catch stuff I'd missed.