Band Geeks United!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by araSgerG, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Smiliee

Smiliee Coroner

^ That's so funny! I, too, had a friend who named her clarinet Bob!

I played clarinet for three years, and then quit band. I didn't really like it all that much.

2. StarGirl11

StarGirl11 Witness

I've played clarinet since I was in fifth grade. Taking a break right now since I had corrective jaw surgery over the summer. Hopefully I will be back to playing it in soon enough though.

I remember my friends at my old school named their instrument. I ended up naming mine Lucy after kinding of catching on the idea.

3. tuesdaymorning

tuesdaymorning Judge

I am totally 100% a band geek.

I used to play Clarinet in Middle school, switched to French Horn in High school (also was one of the major band officers too) and still march today in College.

I love band. I love my band. I love it.

4. letsdance

letsdance Lab Technician

tuesdaymorning, i play french horn too! and i'm in the Senior Band in highschool and i played French Horn in my middle school.
    French Horn is awesome.

5. ziggystarduzt

ziggystarduzt CSI Level Two

Aw, Roos, you're cool without naming your instruments.. no Jorja fan is uncool!! :D

So many clarinet players, hey? I always wanted to play flute in hs band and when they gave me clarinet instead I felt kinda slighted.. it's nice to know that there are other talented clarinet players out there!

As for naming your instrument, Mia, go with something you love/are obsessed with/ care about.. here's a rundown of mine:

Robin (guitar) and Angelica (guitar) were named after the two lead females in the movie "Six Days, Seven Nights" with Harrison Ford. I was majorly in love with Harrison at the time and particularly liked the character Angelica.. Robin came later.

Sid (guitar) was named for Sid Vicious of the Sex Pistols.. I was in a Pistols phase at the time and in a punk band, so it seemed natural. My best friend and I ended up going as Sid and Nancy to our senior prom, so it was a good choice.

Holly (guitar) was named in part for Holly Golightly, the Breakfast at Tiffany's character, one of my favourite characters ever; in part for my good friend Holly, who was a wonderful muse and inspiration.

John and Gabriel (pianos) were named for John Williams and Gabriel Yared- two of my favourite movie score composers.

Rozalinda (flute) was named for Roz on Frasier, cause I adored that show at the time when I got her.

George (clarinet) was named for George Clooney, cause my 12 year old self thought the idea of having my mouth on an instrument named George was totally scandalous ;)

Bob (drum) was named for Bob Marley, cause he just seemed so in synch with the idea of the bongo drum sound.

6. MiaCharlize

MiaCharlize Coroner

Actually I'm glad I didn't otherwise the chances of my guitar being named Nick Catrer would be very high...Oh the sins of the youth...
    I might give it some thought though, maybe I'll come up with some cool names, until then I'll just refer as them to "The one I got from my dad" "The one that belongs to my mother" "My newest" and, well "Baby Kiki" (that one is smaller, hence baby)

7. ziggystarduzt

ziggystarduzt CSI Level Two

^lol!! Good for you for holding off.. I once had a pet rat named JTT, as in Jonathan Taylor Thomas. Ugh. heh.

Kiki is a great name though, I like it!

8. araSgerG

araSgerG Lab Technician

Hee hee...our band gets pizza Tuesday cuz we're cool like that

9. CSIsMANIAC

CSIsMANIAC Captain

Oh! I used to play the drums in band club. But then I had to quit cos I was scaring the juniours away with the loud banging and stuff. (What drum set ain't loud!?) But it was fun while it lasted.

:lol: Indeed!