Paul/Brass: I Got a Coupon #2

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by brassfan24, May 4, 2006.

1. sfCSI

sfCSI Hit and Run

Re: Paul/Brass #2

Yep, it was a deffo bonus.

Seriously though, I want to see continuity from the end of S6,

and I want to see a few scenes of Brass angst and recovery scenes...even a sore shoulder would do.

2. beaujolais

beaujolais Lab Technician

I'm watching "Bite Me" on the Spike Marathon and noticing how tan Brass is and how yummy his hair looks (it's cut short and has that silver tint to it in the right lighting) and how flirty he was with Catherine and how hilarious he was with Nick and the "bite" girl.

I can't wait for S7 to start. No new Brass is yet another reason why I don't like summer.

3. brassfan24

brassfan24 Pathologist

Same here. Although the summer did go by rather quick. At least for me anyway. My DVD's of CSI kept me happy. I'm getting really excited though. Just two more weeks and we'll be getting a brand new Jimmy fix. The summer may have gone by quickly but the next two weeks I know are going to go really slow. Thank God for CTV showing season 6 of The Sopranos and Bravo playing season 1 of Without a Trace or I'd completely lose my mind. But I can't wait for season 7 to start, I need a new Jimmy fix badly.

4. Meg

Meg Victim

Hi guys!

I'm a huge Brass fan and I've been lurking around the board for a while to get my Brass-discussion fix. Now that S7 is coming closer, I'm all squee-ish about seeing more of him. Specially after that teasing spoilery promo I saw on CBS's Youtube account. :D

It's funny, because I had watched about 50 random episodes of CSI and had hardly ever noticed Brass (though I'd seen them in French, and Brass's voice is nasty in French, and his jokes aren't easy to translate). Seriously, all the detectives had blended into one! :eek: It's only when I saw the pilot that I really noticed him... um, and thought he was a mean bastard (well, he was). :lol: He's changed quite a bit since then. After you've seen "Ellie" it's impossible not to be in love with him, right?

Anyway, I have a question for you, I'm sorry if this was already nitpicked to death. I've been trying to work out what Jim's job was when he was working in CSI. He refers to being "boss at CSI", which, to me, sounds like more than just heading the night shift. It sounds much more like Ecklie's current position, no? I'm wondering if anyone has given this any thought and come to any conclusions, or if it's just foggy in the series and it can be interpreted both ways. My question is mainly for RPG purposes, I like to get character backgrounds as detailed as possible. :)

Okay, I'll shut up now and try to go back to writing fanfic. I'd promised myself it'd be done before the beginning of the season, but it's hard to write a grumpy, laconic detective who's just been shot...

5. beaujolais

Hi, Meg ! It's always nice to meet another Brass fan. He needs more fans.

Since Brass was not a CSI (he didn't have the background), my guess was that he was purely in an administrative role. He had Grissom as his lead CSI and that was enough. It's also mentioned in AFOC that he was forced to take the job after he shot a passenger in a felony pursuit.

Nah, it's easy (and fun) to write Brass. And really, he hasn't been grumpy since that Pilot episode, when he bore very little resemblence to the Brass we know and love now. To be honest, even though Brass was a bit of a jerk in the Pilot, I thought Warrick was a complete a**hole. I couldn't stand him and didn't start even sort of liking him until Ellie.

6. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

Grr...would have to be one of the eps I haven't seen :(

7. Meg

Meg Victim

Thank you for your welcome, beaujolais! It's true, Jim needs more fans, or at least more vocal fans! :D

Yes, that's what I was thinking. It also makes sense that his job at CSI and his job in Homicide are equivalent - as far as we know he heads the Homicide unit, so he must have headed Criminalistics like Ecklie does now. Besides, he was expecting a deputy chief position, I doubt you get there by simply administrating one night-shift team. ;)

Fun, yes! Easy... hrrrm... I suspect it would be easier, if I could write him all good-natured, laid back and full of wisecracks. But I don't think he'd be in that frame of mind, while he's recovering. I can't imagine him being philosophical about feeling weak, having to stay home and not having anything much to do for about 3 months. And S6 was really traumatic for him, he's got that to meditate about while he's stuck at home... not great. So he's going to need someone to take him out of himself a bit, and I found the perfect (crossover) match for that... :devil:

Hm, well, I think that the Pilot-Brass was Brass at his worst. He was stuck at a desk job, with a bunch of people who talked to him in nerd-speak, and he was probably bored and frustrated. Hence the harshness, the anger and the downright sadistic attitude. I think that all of that is still there, in Jim. But now he's back in Homicide, he can take it out on bad guys instead of colleagues. And some of his jokes are still downright nasty, specially that crack about his ex-wife being "open 24-7", ouch! You don't see his dark side as much, but it didn't vanish into thin air, it's just expressed differently. Which is yet another reason why I love him. :D

I agree, when I first saw the show I was all about "ooh Warrick has pretty eyes" and it momentarily stopped me from noticing that Warrick was quite a brat, at first. But it's interesting, how the relationship between Warrick and Jim evolved, they went from Warrick's "I hate you" to this weird bond they have over Ellie.

Speaking of Ellie - which one did you guys like best? I preferred Ellie's Ellie, Nicky Aycox. Teal Redmann... well, it would have helped if I hadn't seen her in Gilmore Girls. To me, she'll always be pea-brained Louise. :lol:

8. beaujolais

I should have said that fun and easy for me is writing angsty Brass. I have a hard time with the wisecracking laid-back guy for exactly the reasons you mention. There's too much that's happened to him going all the way back to New Jersey and I suspect snarky Brass is mostly just a facade for work.

And yeah, I do think he's bitter about the ex-wife and I can't blame him for the comments. I just wish they wouldn't make him so bitter that it's ruined other relationships for him. I really want to see Brass hook up with someone.

Um, so this fic you're working on with all the Brass recovery stuff, where might one find this? I do love me some Brass h/c and there hasn't been nearly enough of it after "Way to Go".

ETA: I forgot to mention that Paul G once said that in the Pilot, he didn't have the chance to flesh out Brass yet. He didn't care for that particular Brass so when the pilot was picked up, he felt strongly that the character should work with the CSI's, not against them. Thankfully, TPTB agreed with him and let him make the change in Brass.

9. brassfan24

brassfan24 Pathologist

Hey Meg, welcome. The more Brass fans we can attract to the board the better.

Now, when I saw the Pilot, I have to say I loved Jimmy even then. But that might have to do with the fact that I'm a huge fan of Paul Guilfoyle himself. I do agree that in the first episode he did come off as a bastard but I still loved him. I mean Warrick wouldn't have won any titles for Mr. Congeniality himself. And although I love the man that Jimmy has become, I sometimes miss that side of him and often have to sit back and watch that Pilot episode. Thank God for DVD's.

As for fanfics, I don't have a hard time writing Jimmy. I love it actually. I've written quite a few myself. And I find it rather easy to write his dry, sardonic and witty sense of humor. But don't give up, sometimes it takes some time. I mean I'm never happy with anything the first time. I'm always rewriting things. And right now I'm working on a third story in a series I'm writing with a friend. In this story we're dealing with the eppy Way to Go. Now granted Jimmy's recovery in this story probably won't be as angsty as everyone would imagine because in the series Jimmy has a wife and family to see him through it.

As for Ellie - Although my favorite episode is Hollywood Brass, I prefer Nicki Aycox from Ellie. She just fit the part a lot better. Besides, I could never see Teal Redmann flirting with Warrick. Nicki pulled that off great.

Okay, I have one last thing to say: Is it September 21st yet! :lol:

10. londoncsi

londoncsi Victim

There can't be enough fics of Brass recovery. Or just Brass for that matter. So come on, people who can write, get working! ;)

11. Meg

Meg Victim

Yes, or even facade for life, a coping mechanism that allows him to live without feeling angsty most of the time, because I don't see Jim indulging in excessive angst on his free time, really. I suspect that most of the time he has his Armour of Indifferent Scarcasm, until he's rattled by something. And then all bets are off as to how he'll react. I really hadn't expected him to start crying during the debriefing in ABRTI, for example.

Yes, it would be interesting. I do wonder if Sophia's concern for him in Way To Go wasn't just a little bit more than friendly, but then, having Sophia/Brass and Grissom/Sara would be... eh. Two may/december, supervisor/employee relationships? That's a bit much. I'd love to see/know more about Annie, myself. They seemed very good together.

Well, it's on my hard drive and as I was experiencing a lot of writer's block, I didn't write it in sequence. Which basically means that I couldn't post the beginning because even though I have 30 pages, they need connector scenes that aren't written, yet. Besides, I'm very embarrassed by my bad habit of posting the beginning of long epic fics (for other fandoms) and never finishing them, so I'm holding out until I'm finished (or at least, seriously reorganised) to post.

Oh, I didn't know that. I think Paul has a really good feeling about his character and what he's supposed to represent, he's really a wonderful curious, thoughtful, sensitive actor. Actually I'm usually pretty impressed with the way Paul expresses himself about CSI's narrative techniques and themes in DVD bonuses etc. You really get the impression that he's very educated (at least in literature), and to a literature nut like me, hearing him talk about CSI in such a clever way gives me nerdgasms. Yet another reason to fangirl him.

Aye aye captain... er. ;) I wish I could put it together a bit faster, but it's still really in shambles. Darned experimental writing techniques! And darned essays I have to finish, the premiere will be on by the time I'm done. :p

But I can tease you guys by saying that it's a NCIS crossover. I was delighted by the end of NCIS Season 3 because it gave me the perfect excuse for my pairing. Brass/Ducky, anyone? (just kidding) (you hope) :devil:

12. beaujolais

That didn't surprise me. After seeing how emotional he got with Ellie, it just seemed natural to assume that he's an emotional guy. And that goes back to the facade thing. What I really loved about that scene though was the look on Catherine's face. Like you, she didn't expect it either.

Yeah, that would be a problem with Brass and Sofia but they do work well together and I got that "more than friendly" vibe back in I Like to Watch. As for Annie, well, I'd love to see her hook up with Brass but unless they're going to move Annie to Vegas and make Donna Murphy a recurring character, I doubt that will happen.

Heh, you write like I do. I usually have the beginning and the ending but no middle. It's like working a jigsaw puzzle. And I made a promise that I'd never post a fic until it was at least 90% complete. I get so ticked when a writer with a really good WIP never finishes it.

Hmm, never watched NCIS so I have no idea what happened at the end of S3 but I do know who Ducky is and I can only hope you really are kidding.

13. brassfan24

brassfan24 Pathologist

I really, really, really, hope your joking about pairing Jimmy with Ducky. First off, I don't like slash when it involves Jimmy. It takes away from the fantasy for me. I know I sound ridiculous. Second, if I did like it, I have to say, Jimmy can do a hell of a lot better than Ducky. :lol: But it doesn't really matter anyway because I don't read slash. But more power to you... write what you feel comfortable with.

14. Meg

Meg Victim

Actually, I was surprised that it happened at work, in an interrogation. It's different with family, and outside of a professional setting. But under those circumstances, it's hardly surprising that he cracked. And Catherine's reaction was really sweet. Jim's emotion is extremely contagious.

Yeah, I know. It's a nice fantasy, Annie in Vice at Vegas, and all the fans complaining that they brought in yet another character when there are already too many characters on the show to eat up each other's screentime. :p
    I read your Brass/Annie fic, by the way, beaujolais. I'll save the details for a ff.net review, but I really enjoyed it. :D

:lol: yes, I was joking. I can't see *any* way to make that ship work, even with the wildest leaps of imagination. The characters have to have at least a minimum potential for getting along or being interested in each other, after all.

I think it may work in very rare cases, but it would really have to be very special, because I don't see Jim easily open to relationships with men. Then again, I don't see him as open to relationships with women, but at least the series makes it quite clear that he's attracted to them physically. With men, I have big doubts, unless they have a very powerful emotional bond (or huge, huge amounts of booze)

15. brassfan24

brassfan24 Pathologist

*PHEW* I was a little worried there for a second. :lol:

Okay, I just watched Hide and Go Thief. The episode of Crime Story that Paul did twenty years ago. First off, I have to say: WOW! He was soooooooo HOT!!!! And he was blonde. But he was also extremely built. What a body that man has. Secondly I can sum his character up in that episode in one word: PSYCHO!!!! But he was amazing in that role. And seeing him in that room with Lorraine Bracco was great. I always thought that if they ever brought Nancy Brass into an episode of CSI, she'd be perfect to play the role. One last thing, I love Paul and the way he looks now, but the blonde hair he sported in Hide and Go Thief was pretty sexy too. But then I think everything about Paul is sexy. :devil: