Cases of a Lifetime

Radical618

Coroner
Started this a few months ago, just getting back on to it now, this is the first ch of 8 I've already written... I'll post more with reponses.

Nothing was adding up. If everything’s connected.. Damn. This shit sure isn’t. He thought to himself as he continued to watch the surveillance tape he had gotten from the store manager. He’s here one minute and gone the next? What the fuck is that? He thought again. Taking off his glasses and rubbing his eyes, he heard a knock at the door. He turned around to see Stella.
“Still nothing?”
“Nah. Here one second, gone the next. How does that turn out?”
“Danny, I know you’ll get this. Where’s Lindsay at?”
“Haven’t seen her all day.” Not that I want to. He thought.
“She’s good at this kind of stuff Danny. You should let her have a looksie.”
“She probably wont have time. The case she’s on with Mac is huge. I saw the case file.”
“Danny, that girl will make time for you.” She said tapping him on the face.
“Whatever. I’ll keep goin’ through the tapes.”
“Sounds good, I’ll go through the evidence and see if anything matches up.” She said leaving.
Danny and Lindsay had had a bit of an argument the previous day. She thinks she knows what I need to do for my best friend. I wonder why I bother with her sometimes. He thought as he heard yet another knock at the door, and swung around to see her walking towards him.
“Roll the tape.” She said.
“Montana, c’mon. I got this.”
“Stella said I should check this out real quick. Just roll it.”
“Fine.” He said rolling the tape. Lindsay studied it, rewound it, and studied it again.
“Where’d you get this from?”
“The guy at the store, why?”
“I think someone edited this tape Danny. I mean, no one can just pop through mid-air like that.”
“Is there a way to get that checked out?”
“I have no idea. Do you know someone who would know?”
“I’ll ask Stella, maybe she’ll know. Hey, Montana thanks.”
“Don’t mention it.” She said looking at her watch. “Shit I said I’d be 10 minutes, gotta get back to trace. See ya later Danny!” She said hurrying out of the room.
That’s why I bother with her. Danny thought.
-----------------------
“Sorry I’m late Mac. I got carried away with the tape. So, find anything else yet?” She said grabbing a lab coat and sliding into it.
“Not anything beneficial. This case is going backwards more and more each day.”
“Maybe, we’re taking the wrong approach.” Lindsay stated, reaching for the case folder and skimming through it. “Why don’t we go back to the scene and see if we can’t find anything else?”
“Before we go, look at this.” Mac said moving out of the way so Lindsay could look into the microscope.
“Wasn’t there blood on the toothpick we found?” She asked looking up to Mac.
“Yes, there was, but why isn’t there any now?” He pulled the toothpick out from under the microscope, only to discover that there was no blood. “Wouldn’t one of us have noticed?”
“I’ll check my pictures. I remember taking a picture of the toothpick. If there was-.”
“If there was we’ll deal with that later. You need to find that picture Lindsay.”
“I’m on it.” She said leaving to go find the evidence

here's more....

“Did you, or did you not edit this tape? It’s really a simple question Mr. Stone.”
“I did not touch dat tape, alright? So back off buddy. I gave you the tape wha’ more do you wan’?”
“We want to know if you edited that tape!” Stella said forcefully.
“Lady, do I look like I know how to edit a tape. I worked in that shop fo’ two days befo’ you guys came and snagged the tape from me.”
“Uh, Mr. Stone, that doesn’t matter. The murder happened the night of the 7th and we came in early mornin’ the 8th. So you were workin’ there when this happened.”
Stone was fidgeting his hands. “Alrigh’. After the murder the guy in da mask looks at me and says. Gimme, da tape and I wont kill you. I gave him the tape and he came back about 45minutes later and handed the tape back to me and says, call da cops now. Thas’ all I know.”
“Get this guy outta here.” Danny said, aggravated.
“We’ll be checking your story.” Stella told Stone as he was lead out by an officer. “How long does it take to edit a tape?”
“Let’s go find that out.” Danny said as Stella led the way out of the interrogation room.
------------------------------------
“Mac, pictures don’t lie.”
“There was blood on this toothpick, and now there’s not.”
“Mac, I took a few pictures, and bagged the toothpick.”
“I know. Someone on the inside must’ve switched the toothpicks out.” Not again. Mac thought. Why do people touch the damn evidence? “Look for finger prints on the toothpick, see if we can’t find out who switched them out, or touched them anyway.”
“I’m on it.” Lindsay said, heading back towards trace.
------------------------------------
“It all depends on how much you want to edit out of the tape. It’s hard to say how much or how little is missing here. It’s gonna be impossible to figure that out. I wish I could help you.” A tall man with blonde hair told Danny and Stella. Danny studied him for a few seconds.
“Maybe you can. How’d you get that cut on your right palm?”
“I was cookin’ dinner the other night and the knife slipped. I’m a clumsy person, I get cuts and knicks all the time.” Danny looked at Stella.
“You wouldn’t mind if we took a DNA sample, would you?”
“Whoa, you think I killed whoever?”
“All we want to do is clear possibilities sir. If you didn’t do anything, it shouldn’t be hard to give us a sample.”
“Whatever gets my name cleared.” He said as Stella swabbed the inside of his cheek.
“Thank you sir.” Stella said as they left the building.
----------------------------------------
Where the hell is Lindsay with those fingerprints? Mac thought to himself the next day. It usually doesn’t take her this long to do this stuff.
“Mac, we were right.” Lindsay said coming into Mac’s office. “Someone on the inside switched out, or handled these toothpicks.”
Just get on with it Lindsay! Mac thought, and then responded, “Who was it?” Lindsay handed Mac the paper containing the information. He read over it, and when he saw the name, his eyes widened. “Stella?”
“Science doesn’t lie Mac.”
“Sometimes, I wish it did.” Mac sighed. “Find Stella and tell her to see me ASAP.”
“Of course Mac. Anything else I can do?”
Get together with Danny for Pete’s sake. Mac thought and smiled to himself. “Just that for now. Thanks Lindsay.”

Back