Have you ever dissected an animal? [like in biology class?]

Discussion in 'Forensic Science' started by Guest, May 1, 2005.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

we had to disect a kidney once. it was harder than it looked and it stank!!

2. xmiamigirlx

xmiamigirlx Dead on Arrival

Once i have dissected a lambs heart!! It wasnt so bad it was the smell thet made it bad.But in England they dont really do major things anymore because its animal cruelty!!!

3. Shadowfax

Shadowfax CSI Level One

Hey guys! New to this thread, but I thought I'd drop by to post an answer. *waves* :D

Let's see:
    7th Grade Science Class - started with the basic worm
    High School Anatomy Class (and this was really fun) we did: A frog - had to dissect the brain
    An adult cat - actually enjoyed skinning this one for some reason
    A shark - ours was pregnant, so we were also able to gut it out and take out the babies.

Tootles! :D

4. SamStokes

SamStokes Police Officer

It is considered Animal cruelty everywhere, but if the animal has died of natural causes it's organs can be used for research and School biology classes.

5. horatio_love

horatio_love Police Officer

Re: Have you ever dissected an animal? [like in biology clas

I have dissected a prawn and fishes lol !!! but not frogs and pets

6. Azza4Speed

Azza4Speed Police Officer

I haven't disscted a whole animal, but we've done parts, such as a heart, an eyeball, and a kidney.

The eyeball was the best, a little creepy though, :lol:. My teacher actually complimented me on my dissection of it, and asked my wether I was interested in a medical profession. I felt empowered, but I'm more sciencey than medicaly.
    I like dissctions though, they're interesting.

PS: Man, I don't think I've ever used the word 'dissection' that many times in a paragraph before! :)

7. goreshi

goreshi Rookie

Right now....I'm having my rotaion at the operating room...so I see things like uterus (and all its layers..), ovary, fallopian tube, bladder, subcutaneous fats (its like the fat of the pig..), muscles, placenta, cyst (they look like strawberries...), lymph nodes that are swollen, skin being incised...ah just anything inside the human body....anything that is bloddy...and the blood that was sucked out....it looks like strawberry shake/watermelon shake/cranberry juice in the suction bottle....

it won't make your stomach upset and I was not shocked upon seeing it for the first time..it was cool...and you couldn't smell it....cause you have a mask...but I'm still looking forward to things worst than those

8. allmaple

allmaple Judge

SamStokes im pretty sure the animals are raised for the purpose of anatomy classes. when my mom was in school they had to kill the frogs themselves :eek: thats why she always picked a football player as her partner :lol: i do know that when i did minks they came already dead and skinned from a fur farm though.
    but whether you believe it or not it is necessary, and live dissections are far superior to computer models. the only time it kind of bothered me was when they had gotten animals pregnant so you can observe the changes in the uterus and the fetus. again, something you couldnt see otherwise but it was just sad to see dead kittens in a jar.
    i learned a lot from my mink and shark last year. and hopefully if i get into vet school after next year i would practise surgeries on dogs and cats that come from the shelter. but will have to put them down afterwards. its going to be really hard :(

9. Elbystar

Elbystar Rookie

omw hee hee today in bio we were shown a sheeps lungs and heart.....i was the only girl in my class who didnt think it was disgusting...and the only person in the class who actually touched it....and i got to blow into the tube that had been inserted down the trachea to get the lungs to blow up a little....i was so psyched

10. grissoms_gurl

grissoms_gurl Coroner

When I was in high school bio, we dissected a fetal pig - which was really fun!! Although, that's what turned my sister into a vegetarian lol We also got to look at a cow's heart!

11. Cova

Cova Witness

Most I ever had to dissect was an earth worm in jr. High. During a Biology class I was taking in College, we would have gotten the opportunity to dissect a frog or a fetal pig but we were so far behind that the chance of that happening was slim and so it never happened. God knows how I'd have handeled it. :lol: Though I'd imagine I'd do well since I'm not squeamish and surgery and such fascinates me.

12. Axatullux

Axatullux Lab Technician

As of this writing, the only thing I ever got to dissect was a worm in biology class WAY back in 1999. I don't remember it too well anymore since many more fun things have buried that class. I wasn't too interested in biology like I am now because I thought it was too hard for me to understand.

If I were to go to biology class today in college, I would want the clock to stand still so I can enjoy it for longer.

13. FLACK_ATTACK

FLACK_ATTACK Prime Suspect

thankfully, no. I never took biology in middle or high school. At the thought of disecting anything (pig, frog etc) would make my stomach turn.

14. CSI_Dani

CSI_Dani CSI Level Two

I never did it so far. I don't know if I will do it or not...

15. allmaple

allmaple Judge

i have a weak stomach, but dissections are ok for me. except the smell... the smell is bad. especially last year we had our minks and sharks for 4 months and did different parts each week, i nearly tossed my cookies from the smell near the end :lol:
    this year we worked with frogs that were freshly killed. luckily the lab co-ordinator did it. we did things with leg and heart muscle control. except when i started to open my frog up the left over neurotransmitters were released and it started twitching! :eek: we had to get the ta to assure us that yes, our frog was dead.