Welcome to the Forensic Science Thread!

Discussion in 'Forensic Science' started by Agertays, Mar 1, 2005.

1. chaostheory08

chaostheory08 CSI Level Three

Spending time in the CSI:NY threads makes me wanna write for the show! Lol.... seriously.

2. thegluups

thegluups Prime Suspect

Hi everyone...I'm british so I don't know a lot about the american "real" CSIs.... I keep seeing CSIs in CSI : Miami use something called AFIS or something spelled along those lines.... DOes this database really exist, and if so, how is it created?

3. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

It is very real. AFIS stands for Automated Fingerprint Identification System. There are some run by FBI, Interpol, several states, and several other countries. Here is some info from the fbi.gov site:

The Integrated Automated Fingerprint Identification System, more commonly known as IAFIS, is a national fingerprint and criminal history system maintained by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) Division. The IAFIS provides automated fingerprint search capabilities, latent searching capability, electronic image storage, and electronic exchange of fingerprints and responses, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. As a result of submitting fingerprints electronically, agencies receive electronic responses to criminal ten-print fingerprint submissions within two hours and within 24 hours for civil fingerprint submissions.

For more info on other AFIS systems, see this website.

Dynamo1 at the reference desk

4. thegluups

thegluups Prime Suspect

Thanks a lot. It's just that in England, there is a big issue about "revealing" your identity, that's why there is a big issue on whether or not ID cards should be authorised...Except for people with a pre existing criminal record, it would be extremely hard to find someone using fingerprints, so it just sounded to convenient to have a software that had everyone registered...

5. Forensics_Guy

Forensics_Guy Witness

Actually in the US it is harder than England to set up these databases. The fingerprint databases contain booked individuals/individuals who have been convicted/individuals who have made special applications for permits or licenses. Not everyone is "in the system". An even more restrictive criteria is used to select what individuals can be entered into the DNA database (CODIS).

In England if asked to submit a DNA sample/fingerprint sample the subject must do so. US citizens are protected from submitting self-incriminating evidence by the 5th Amendment and from searches and seizures by the 4th Amendment, without probable cause and a search warrant.

---edit---
    Except for DUI cases. There several of the bill of rights are seemingly suspended, 4th, 5th, and 6th.

6. thegluups

thegluups Prime Suspect

Really? Gee...I must really get up to date with my law studies...Well thanks anyway

7. CSI_Forensics

CSI_Forensics Hit and Run

I am a huge fan of forensics,and crime scene investigation mostly because it's like trying to solve a puzzle part by part.

8. xmiamigirlx

xmiamigirlx Dead on Arrival

hi i want to be a csi but people think its stupid!! So im hear to meet people that love csi!!!:D

9. VManso

VManso CSI Level Two

A ggood idea is to test each other to see how much we actually know. We could ask each other questions .

10. xmiamigirlx

yeah lol that would be good but i mainly only watch miami!!And i only started watching a few months back but i will give it a shot:d

11. Calihan

Calihan Captain

If you want to quiz each other let's restart this thread

12. xmiamigirlx

Thank you will do !!!

13. thegluups

thegluups Prime Suspect

THat'd be a great idea...mind if I join in?

14. xmiamigirlx

Go ahead but watch out they are very challenging!!!:) But its fun

15. thegluups

thegluups Prime Suspect

Well I guess it's a good waay to learn...or to realise that you're absolutly rubbish on the subject ( like I just did)...