Have you ever dissected an animal? [like in biology class?]

Discussion in 'Forensic Science' started by Guest, May 1, 2005.

1. GottaLoveVegas

GottaLoveVegas Lab Technician

Re: Have you ever dissected an animal? [like in biology clas

Wow, the snail sounds really interesting.

And okay, I find the bit about the rat funny ^^

Animal physiology, eh? What career are you looking to get into?

2. anubite_savior

anubite_savior Hit and Run

Whoo. I have disected
    2 Earthworms
    A Frog
    A Rat
    A Cat
    A Pig

=D

As to your blood situation up there, Alyssa, I have a funny story for that one. I was working summercamp one year, and there was a child who would cry over EVERYTHING. No joke. Everything. So one day she comes up to me, holding her hand, completely calm. "Um, I cut my hand, can you help?" I could see a red substance beneath her hands, and blinked. "Of course, let's get you to the Nurse's Station." She kind of paused, looked up at me, smiled, and uncovered her hands, screaming,"That's not blood, it's Jelly!" I almost died..

3. thegluups

thegluups Prime Suspect

I've dissected a frog leg, a lamb heart and lungs, and a mouse...I especially remember the mouse, because most of the animals in my class ended up flying with their insides falling out as the class ended up in a mouse throwing fight...More serioiusly I think dissecting animals, although what I'm gonna say may sound cruel, is a good way to learn.

4. stokeluver

stokeluver CSI Level One

LOL! i havent gone thru biolagy class yet, im going into grade 8 when school starts again. But i've dissected the following for my own interest...
    -frog (3 1/2)
    -mouse (1)
    -frigg'n huge moth, ended up being around six inch's in width, PER WING! (one)
    -snake (1)
    -fish (8)
    -about a billion insects... the smaller, the harder

why do i do this? because it interests me, and creeps out my friends at the same time! :p

5. chaostheory08

chaostheory08 CSI Level Three

I remember once in Girl Scout camp, we had to eat a chicken. The catch is, the chicken is alive so we have to catch it, kill it, clean it and cook it ourselves.

I was patrol leader so I had to facilitate. All of us were 'chicken' to *behead* the chicken. Lol... that's my only qualm. In the end, I was the one who cleaned the chicken and cooked it. Hahahahaha...

6. feenx

feenx Coroner

i have never dissected anything, but my phisical science teacher had all these wierd bugs and animals in jars. he even had a monkey the worst part was that was the hall pass.

7. snickerscsilvr90

snickerscsilvr90 Prime Suspect

i dissected a cow's eye in 5th grade. everyone kept complaining about how bad it smelled. i didn't smell anything. and this year, we got to dissect a pig in my biology class. that was fun. and on the last day we were doing a dissection, no one else did it but me. :D i felt special. and proud. and i apparently cut through the pig quite well (we were doing the sexual organs that day.)

8. jlinn

jlinn Hit and Run

yep, biology class... we did frogs, worms, fish

9. feenx

feenx Coroner

aw...jealous over here, i wish i could have done that.

10. goreshi

goreshi Rookie

I have dissected a frog and have seen a dead human....

11. kito_of_typhoon

kito_of_typhoon Prime Suspect

I dunno, probably research cuz I also take genetics and biochemistry as main subjects ( we have to chose three main subjects out of 13 ), but just genetics and biochemistry are very theoritical :rolleyes: so I also took something more graphic although I have worked up to now just with frog oocytes ( egg cells ) :D.

12. Zan1781

Zan1781 Coroner

Let me preface this by explaining that I am not entirely fond of animal dissection, because I am a massive animal lover. But that being said, science fascinates me, and I love(d) learning about biology (I came pretty close to being a vet, and then jumped ship to history/special education).

In any event, I've dissected: around 30 sheep eyes (did a couple for class in 7th grade, and then a bunch for parents' night at school); a worm, a frog, a cow's heart, fetal pig (required in NYS).

I also taught biology for a couple of years, and dissected more worms/cow's hearts/fetal figs (because again, it's required by NYS).

Yup!

13. PintSizeGenius

PintSizeGenius Lab Technician

I haven't actually disected a full animal, but i've ripped open owl pellets and found mice skulls and other bones from small rodents, birds and stuff. I've also disected a chicken wing. we had to get a sample of skin, muscle, bone and a blood vessel if possible. i burst the blood vessel and it squirted blood everywhere. it was hilarious! my friend nearly threw up. she's a veggie, has been ever since she found a chicken's spinal cord in her school dinner.

14. chaostheory08

chaostheory08 CSI Level Three

I have as well. And have watched an actual autopsy. I wasn't like in the room with the ME, there was a glass and she was telling us what she's doing and stuff. Like Alexx and Horatio....

15. Guest

Guest Guest

I disected a fish, I cut it open, but I had to get one of the boys in my class to do the rest (we were working in a team), I couldn't go into it's insides...I also watched my teacher disect a pigs eyeball, I was the only girl in my class that didn't flinch & look away though, haha...