Self-defence and fight-sports

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Detective_Burn, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Detective_Burn

Detective_Burn Coroner

Could it be there´s a priciple behind kicks? The more spins, the greater they look? :D

All this kicks you described, I´m sure they look really artistic. However I could never do them - I just have not the balance-feeling for it. :(
    Another thing is these kicks you refer to should take really long to learn.

drkate, in comparison to Krav Maga this is a plus for KMM. Our tecniques are easy to understand and to copy. This is why I like to suggest you a test-hour in Krav Maga. You learn it fast. So you don´t need the patience for practicing one move your whole life. :)

2. BlueCurl

BlueCurl Pathologist

After 12 years of doing korfball (kinda like netball) I started to practise kung fu. I have a feeling for it all but I see some people strugle more with the moves and kicks and stuff but in overall if I take someone that does a little longer learning stuf like that... If you really want it it deffenitly can be done within a year... some more advanced kicks...

3. Detective_Burn

Detective_Burn Coroner

Sure, maybe I´d need two years instead of one. I think I´d have the discipline.
    But I´m okay with Krav Maga. I´m in KMM now for about two years - so I´m kinda into it. :)

4. Dolphin

Dolphin Pathologist

Nice pictures, BlueCurl !

I practiced kick-boxing a year ago and I loved it. :D

5. BlueCurl

BlueCurl Pathologist

g;ad you like the pic :lol:

kickboxing is okay but I'm a pussy! I can;t stand pain that well hehe so I prefer harden myself during kung fu class and not test it with kickboxing class :lol: but the occasion sanda class with full protection are pretty okay though!

6. Laetri

Laetri CSI Level One

unless you fall on your butt while spinning around, then they don't look that great :lol:.

I hate pain a lot as in I do my best to avoid it. I also hate annoyances like sparring gear. It makes me look like a marshmallow martain from pluto.

7. beautiful_loser

beautiful_loser Pathologist

The first rule of Fight Club is...you do not talk about fight club. Sorry guys :p...uh oh.....

8. Detective_Burn

Detective_Burn Coroner

I don´t like pain, too - but I accept it if happens.
    Have got training tonight, I´d love to do some sparing then somehow. :D

9. Detective_Burn

Detective_Burn Coroner

So what is your training like?
    Tell me something about your exercises etc. .

10. BlueCurl

BlueCurl Pathologist

I think this thread needs a kick in its butt :p

I gave training on wednesday and it went very good. Me so happy. We also had 3 people who wanted to try it and I think I made a good impression. I hope so. I'll see if they keep on coming!

11. Roka4csi

Roka4csi Coroner

I thought about tae kwon do, but I have this thing about screaming before I bang my head into a block of wood.
    But I do have an evil look that I give people that tick me off.

Okay seriously, I could use some self - defense lessons. Detective wants love lessons, we'll arrange an exchange :lol:

12. saras_girlfriend

saras_girlfriend Coroner

I did kick-boxing for a while, it was a lot of fun.

13. BlueCurl

BlueCurl Pathologist

why did you stop doing it :lol: ?

14. saras_girlfriend

saras_girlfriend Coroner

I had an accident with my scooter and hurt my knee. I'm actually still not allowed to play sports, but I'm playing badminton at the moment hehe.
    I did kick-boxing for about 4 years. It started out as being a self-defence course, but I sticked to it and ended up in kick-boxing. It's quite a dangerous sport though, everyone always aims for the knees. My cousin had to quit practising because he had hurt his knee playing so many matches.

15. BlueCurl

BlueCurl Pathologist

In 3 years time I have had two knee surgeries. Pretty bad luck though. If it hadn;t happened I couldn't think were I would be now. Some of the people started out with me and have the same way of using there technices are in the Dutch team of Sanda (Chinese Kickboxing an extension of Shaolin Kung Fu and Kickboxing) One of them got third on the World Championships. But can't do anything about it. I can't fight at the moment because my knee is too weak so I keep it to only Kung Fu/Wushu