The Anti-Danny Thread

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Guest, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Dude, he bawled like a baby. Danny's a thirty-something three-year old. I love it, but I love this thread, too. ;) :D

2. MrsGiovinazzo

MrsGiovinazzo CSI Level Three

The Anti-Danny thread got bumped? :eek: Actually, much as I'd love to [CENSORED] the holy hell out of the man, I fully respect the opinions of those who aren't so inclined. Always good to keep a dialogue going both ways.

3. Ceindreadh

Ceindreadh Pathologist

Let me start by saying that I don't hate Danny.
    But it just annoyed me in S1 the way he seemed to be the 'writers pet'.

I mean, it just seemed to me that we were being told waaaaay more about him and his background than any of the rest of the team and i've never liked it when writers try to force a character on me. I remember on my first watching of S1, having the urge to smack him every now and then.

Danny and Aiden were my least favourite characters in S1 and frankly, if Danny had been the one to get fired for considering tampering with evidence, I wouldn't have been overly sorry. (okay, poor Flack would have been lonely without his Danny <g>)

I haven't seen S2 yet, so I don't know if he'll be just as annoying to me as he was in S1.

4. chaostheory08

chaostheory08 CSI Level Three

He is a bit (okay... A LOT) of a drama queen. Hahahahaha... reminds me of high school hahahahah

I actually love his character and watching it unfold and grow and such -- but the attention on him on season2 got a little bit much. It became like CSI:Danny Messer than a balance with the other characters.

5. sarramaks

sarramaks Rookie

I like the character of Danny Messer, but I worry if the writers rely too much on him. I think there was a lot of 'Danny time' (although I wasn't really complaining) in season two and he was used to try to bring depth to Lindsay (IMO). I hope they strike more of a balance with other characters in season three, such as having more Hawkes. Hint hint, if any writers are reading...

6. Jaer

Jaer Police Officer

I make no bones about not being much of a Danny fan, but I do think NY would have a loss if he weren't on the show. During S1 a lot of what made the team feel like a team was his banter with everyone. I miss the team feel to NY. I also always felt that Danny made the wrong choices but for the right reasons and that he was his own worst enemy. It's been nice to see him grow, but I do miss a bit of the edge he had during S1.

7. sarramaks

sarramaks Rookie

It did feel like he underwent a minor personality change toward the end of season one, particularly in episodes such as Stealing Home. I like his bite. Quiet, rational Danny doesn't do much for me.

8. sissi59100

sissi59100 CSI Level Three

I think every CSI has his "Danny" :D on vegas, that's Nick, on miami that's Ryan and well Danny on ny...those kind of characters bring up the "human" side of the CSI, they aren't unbreakable, they are capable of feelings and well they can cry and aren't afraid to show their feelings. They aren't robots and bring up their empathy on a violent, even cruel world.

9. Ceindreadh

Ceindreadh Pathologist

I don't mind that. I just mind when it seems to be 'all about Danny' all the time.
    That doesn't happen with Nicky in Vegas - but then, I happen to adore him, and would be totally happy if we got to see and hear more about him.

But then Danny just never grabbed my attention so much, maybe because the focus was on him from day one. I do tend to go for the underused characters though. Maybe that's why I'm a Flack fan <g>

10. Celefinwe

Celefinwe Pathologist

To tell the truth, I never really noticed Danny until S1's Outside Man. He showed a more human side than any other CSIs I've ever seen and I started to pay more attention to him. Tanglewood and On The job sealed the deal and suddenly he became the writers' prodigal son, or something. Yes, I can see how this offends other people. I'm a loyalist so I won't say much against him, but I do see your point, Cein. Maybe TPTB went a little overboard with all the Danny storylines, but to be fair, other characters have at least one episode character-centric too. Flack did, Stella did, heck, even Aiden did! But yes, there is defintely an underusage of some good characters like Hawkes, and Flack too.

11. chaostheory08

Season2 had been about Danny. Maybe because the producers decided to make every season themed to a particular team member. They haven't done that before, have they?

They probably decided to have a crack on Danny first because they opened him up late S1. As the 2nd season ended, it became less about him and more of another team member. Flack maybe or Mac.... or Stella.

12. Celefinwe

Celefinwe Pathologist

I'd be pretty darn pissed if there was nothing in S3 to address what happened to Flack. Not sure about the season being centered around a certain character, though. That definitely has never been done before. I think it's just that TPTB realised how the character Danny Messer could get so much attention from viewers so they decided to milk their golden goose boy (huh?) A lot of people like to watch the character so more Danny equals higher ratings. Simple TV maths.

13. chaostheory08

^Yeah, something like that.

But they do need to switch focal points. If it's always Danny and Danny, the viewers will get sick of it.

14. Celefinwe

Celefinwe Pathologist

That's true. I mean, I heart Danny and all that, but you have a point. I prefer quality over quantity anyways. Less but but better written Danny-centric episodes will still satisfy me and it does give a chance for other characters to shine

15. sissi59100

sissi59100 CSI Level Three

I understand what you mean : sometimes we feel like it's always about him, but maybe it's cause the writers like that character...I mean see Nick on Vegas: on the first season he was underused but now he is always there, not that i mind cause i like him but there isn't only him on the show. Danny was underused at the beginning , that's probably why people used to dislike him but now that we see him much, viewers linked with him and appreciate him more and more (or dislike him more and more lol )

I'm not sure the focus was on him from day one, but it surely grow up with time. Now if as you said , Flack and even Hawkes (who when he became a CSI get less screentime )get the same screentime, the balance will be equal and maybe Danny will have less detractors.