Zuiker Hopes 'CSI' Incites More Government Funding

Discussion in 'CSI Files News Items' started by CSI Files, Jun 16, 2005.

1. CSI Files

CSI Files Captain

The CSI labs are equipped with the best technology needed to solve every crime. But more than attracts viewers, creator <font color=yellow>Anthony Zuiker</font> hopes the fictitious facilities will inspire the government to model better labs.

The CSI creator revealed this week that real-life crime labs have evolved since the premiere of CSI, but also admitted there's much more room for improvement. "They get a bit bitter about that," he said. "But we're hoping that CSI raises levels of awareness about what can be done so that governments will improve the labs for real investigators."

But attracting viewers is also a part of the deal. Zuiker was last year placed in charge of the second spin-off CSI: New York, which struggled in the ratings battle due in part to its gritty atmosphere. But New York will undergo a make-over, Zuiker revealed, to help the show attract more viewers. "We'll be telling more humorous, lighter stories and that's something we didn't do well last year," he said. "The audience carried us - they loved the actors and liked the show."

Though Zuiker is always willing to see his mistakes and start a clean slate, there is one thing he does not apologize for: the alleged fast-paced of the shows' crime solving process. "We do have same day DNA results, but no one wants to watch a TV show where it takes four months to get results."

Visit Yahoo News to read the rest of the article, in which Zuiker discusses how CSI came to be.<center></center>

2. Nikka_what

Nikka_what CSI Level Two

This amuses me, in a cynical, not-really-very-amusing sort of way. The "real-life" Las Vegas crime lab is actually underfunded, understaffed and backlogged beyond the telling of it. I recently read somewhere that the lease on their building ran and the department was frantically looking for a new location. Sad. If I could direct my tax dollars anywhere, it would be towards health care and the police departments/crime labs.