Television Without Pity Ends 'CSI' Coverage

Discussion in 'CSI Files News Items' started by CSI Files, Jun 12, 2005.

1. CSI Files

CSI Files Captain

Popular television recap site Television Without Pity announced last week it will no longer be covering the original CSI: Crime Scene Investigation.

For the past five years, the site had been providing weekly "recaps" of new CSI episodes -- extensive summaries of each episode, all from the highly sarcastic and often humorous point of view of recapper <font color=yellow>'Sobell'</font>. But as of a few days ago, the CSI reviews have been shifted to Television Without Pity's "Permanent Hiatus" section. "Honestly, we thought this show would be bagged and tagged in the first season," the site's maintainers wrote. "And then we figured we were in a grudge match with William Petersen to see who would leave first. Answer: us. So long and thanks for all the gore, CSI! You'll be following the evidence without us."

CSI wasn't the only popular drama to get the axe at Television Without Pity, as after six years, it also ended its ER coverage. Along with closing down the CSI review section, the site closed down its CSI forums due to lack of traffic. The forums, which had previously included discussion boards for general chat, discussion on the characters, and fan fiction, have been replaced by a single thread in Television Without Pity's drama sub-forum.

The original CSI is the second show in the franchise to be put on Permanent Hiatus by Television Without Pity. Two years ago, the site bailed on CSI: Miami after just one season. At the time, the site wrote that "although Horatio Caine may be God's red-headed stepchild and the Greater Miami-Dade area's personal crusader for justice, He's also a supercilious blowhard who made damn near every scene on every show irritating. After one season, we'd had enough, hadn't we?" CSI: New York was never covered by Television Without Pity.

With the suspension of Television Without Pity's CSI recaps, the CSI reviewing landscape has gotten very sparse. Earlier this year, Entertainment Weekly shut down its weekly CSI Watch section, which it had only launched in October 2004. The TV Tome had been publishing weekly episode reviews of both CSI and CSI: New York, but stopped updating its review section for these shows in the early spring.

If you'd like to access Television Without Pity's old CSI and CSI: Miami recaps, head over to the site's Permanent Hiatus section. Meanwhile, going forward into the next season, CSI Files will continue to provide <font color=yellow>Kristine Huntley's</font> weekly reviews of new episodes from all three CSI series. To access our review archive, please visit our CSI Episode Guides. In addition, if you're looking for a new place to talk about all things CSI, please visit our discussion boards at Talk CSI -- with over a thousand new posts per day, they certainly won't be shutting down anytime soon!<center></center>

2. Charisma

Charisma Coroner

awwww, that sucks.

3. Tripp3235

Tripp3235 Pathologist

Yes, it certainly does. I looked forward to the recaps every week!!

4. Nikka_what

Nikka_what CSI Level Two

:( :mad: :( This is most upsetting. There is not enough snark in the world, and now they're taking this away!! I have always loved Sobell's recaps, even if I disagreed with her take on some episodes; they will be missed.

5. wurlocke

wurlocke Lab Technician

This was something I looked forward to every week and it saddens me that they had decided to close the section down. Sobell had amused me with her snarky reviews and comments that I don't know what to do with this news now.

I'll miss this definitely. :(

6. Guest

Guest Guest

I enjoyed reading those recaps. They were always so amusing. Sucks. :(

I wonder what turns them off from CSI. Heh.