Why Lindsay Must Go

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by JDonne, Apr 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JDonne

JDonne CSI Level One

^ I'd rather watch flies swarm around a dead squirrel carcass on a 105 degree day than watch Anna portray Lindsay for even one more episode, because the latter is the bigger stomach turner, not to mention inhumane.

The fact is the show doesn't and didn't need a new addition and a large cast is a detriment to the show Zuiker intended to create with NY. NY was going to be the character driven show and I'm guessing he meant that more along the lines of a Homicide and less along the lines of Dallas. The show needs an intimacy to allow the viewer a chance to make it feel like we are discovering the characters along with solving the crimes. The problem is not many people want to discover Lindsay, not enough people care whether she reports for duty come September, and her deep dark bloody secret is both cliché and counter-productive especially in the face of an incredibly weak season of NY. I mean at this point you could tell me that Lindsay was John Wayne Gacy and Aileen Wuornos's love child and her grandfathers are Charles Manson and Ted Bundy and she helped bury bodies in the basement for her science fair project and I sadly would be neither surprised, because this is the cheap crap I've come to expect from NY, nor interested because the voice work for Pebbles and Bam Bam on the Flintstones is more compelling and worthy than almost everything Anna gave all season long.

Am I being harsh, probably, yes definitely, but as a viewer I feel I've earned that right, it is my viewership that lets Tide try to sell me yet another product with bleach added to the detergent so maybe it is time for TPTB to sit down and listen for a change. The dogged arrogance you portrayed this season with your single-minded Danny/Lindsay agenda didn't win you any new fans or kudos, but it sure lost you some and pissed many people off.

Now maybe I'll regret typing this when the sun rises tomorrow, but here goes my supreme sacrifice in the name of saving NY. I love Danny and I love Carmine's portrayal, I think Danny is by far the most complex and compelling character on the show thus far and I'm willing to concede that may be a development issue, but I don't believe that entirely, but I digress, what I'm saying is I want less Danny if he's going to be saddled with Lindsay. The chemistry is non-existent and frankly, they aren't worth watching together because all that registers is Carmine's boredom, I waited all season for him to break out in a yawn mid-scene. I hate seeing Carmine so muted, reduced to an almost static state just because Anna's performances are soul sucking and talent reducing. I think it is fair to say that to an extent Carmine is the show’s goose and there was a time when his eggs were golden then came Anna and the eggs are now hollow gold-plated replicas. All that an she takes away from the rest of the casts screen time, we have truly arrived at a sad sad moment in the history of the CSI franchise, because with every false move Anna made this season NY came one step closer to proving William Peterson right – the franchise is diluted, spread around, spread thin, but highly ineffective and so unworthy.

To put it succinctly Anna/Lindsay must go.

Ali

2. kinkapoodles

kinkapoodles Judge

I was watching Super Men last night and I thought I was gonna be sick when Danny was surprised that Lindsay liked football and he told her that was dangerous because he might have to marry her. :eek: :eek:

I couldn't believe he said that. If it was Aiden I would have laughed. Lindsay-no way.

Give poor Hawkes the screen time for season 3. Why did they move him up to CSI if they were gonna give him less screen time? If that was the case, they could have kept him as the ME..Let Lindsay slide into the background. Or better yet, NY is a big, big place and she is from Montana. Maybe they could just drop her off somewhere in the city and forget about her.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

^Put Hawkes in Lindsay's place in that scene and use the same dialogue. That scene works so much better.

4. kinkapoodles

kinkapoodles Judge

So true...that would have been cute. I could see Danny getting a chuckle out of Hawkes for that.

At least Lindsay kinda acted like she didn't hear him. If it was me, I would have said "Set a date". :p

5. Jaer

Jaer Police Officer

Careful, you'll be giving the writers ideas. :lol: :lol:

This is very sad and very true. Her interaction with Carmine...who might as well have the show named after him :lol: :lol:...is painful. It's sad when someone so lacking in talent can dim the talent of others. I've never been as fond of Carmine or Danny as I am Flack, but NY wouldn't be the same show without him and it isn't the same when he trys to have an interesting, meaningful interaction with Lindsay. In fact, it becomes about as interesting as watching a High School performance of "Bye Bye Birdie". It would however, be a much better show without Anna Belknap and Lindsay. Danny had more chemistry with the girl he was picking up on the Subway train than he does with Lindsay and when you compare the interaction of the two, brief as the time with Subway Girl was, with any scene that Lindsay is in with him, it's obvious he would rather be anywhere else than with Lindsay.

6. sarramaks

sarramaks Rookie

We got given 'All Access' in Britain on Saturday and I'm still recovering from Lindsay's little explosion when interviewing a suspect. It was badly written and badly acted, like the writers were just throwing in a scene to get Danny to show some concern for her, and try to impress on us that she's not all sweetness and light. I saw more than ever just how much D and L are being chucked together, and how clearly it doesn't work. There is no chemistry - I totally agree with Jaer ^ above that Danny would rather be anywhere than with Lindsay; for a start there is a lack of chemistry between them, and I would never put the two 'together' - she just wouldn't be his type. Personally, I think it would be wrong to try to put Danny in a relationship anyhow, he's got to many issues to deal with someone elses. I think that their forced relationship is half the problem and I agree with many comments that have been made on this forum before that because the writers have done such a shoddy job in structuring her character that they are now relying on a "relationship" with Danny to build it instead.

I don't see where they can take her either (except a body bag possibly). They can't completely revise what characteristics they've given her so far, the viewers wouldn't buy it. This hint at a 'dark past' is also cliched and trite - clearly the writers' imaginations were running low on juice so they made up a two dimensional character and rather than develop her a bit more they thought that we would like some mystery about her instead, a ploy that just won't work.

I can't really blame Anna Belknap - in fact I feel a bit of sympathy for her - she's been given some really terrible lines. Either the writers did have Lindsay as she is in mind and picked the wrong actress to play her, or they've not thought through the character development as well as they should.

Rant over now. I feel much better, but I've probably embarrassed myself by saying all of this!

7. kinkapoodles

kinkapoodles Judge

^Even so, character development shouldn't take an ENTIRE season. :eek: Ok it might but not to this extent. I know there is some tweaking that characters need but geez, when they tweak Lindsay..she is totally different every time.

TPTB, please take a look at this character and then take a look at Ryan on Miami. That's how a new character fits in. Are they gonna spend all of season 3 still trying to get her to fit in?

That little rant she had in All Access. Why was she so pissed about what happened to Stella? Is her past coming back to haunt her? I've read (don't remember where) that Lindsay left Montana to escape something. Did that have something to do with it? Did the same thing happen to her?

Stomping out of the interrogation room was a bit childish. I know they were concerned about Stella. But they were working on a case and that should have had her undivided attention.

She didn't freak out and act all worried when Flack got hurt. It was business as ususal. I showed more sympathy toward him than she did.

8. sarramaks

sarramaks Rookie

^I agree, character development shouldn't take a whole season. Ryan was a good example of how it should be done. If she had the rant because of her past then that should have been elaborated on at the time.

9. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Allow me to third this. :D I love Danny--he's one of my favorite characters on TV right now. And generally, I think Carmine is terrific. He wowed me first season, and in many of the episodes this season. His intensity and the passion he brings to his portrayal of Danny truly is impressive.

Enter Lindsay. I don't think I've ever seen an actor as unenthused about an on-screen love interest as Carmine appears to be. His delivery of the "flirty" lines grew flatter as the season went on, to the point where he was downright monotone in "Super Men" when he delivered the marriage line. In interviews, he shies away from the topic, and when asked point blank about it in one, he said that "Jane from DNA" was the love interest, and then added, "That's who I wish it was!" How much more blatant can you get? :lol:

But honestly, it wouldn't be fair to blame that on Anna, if she was actually good in the role. But she's not. "All Access" is a great example of how bad she is--her screaming is horrible in that, and everything she does feels so scripted. She just isn't good all on her own, but I have to say, the fact that she's bringing down my favorite character on the show makes me want her gone even more.

10. Bunny

Bunny Rookie

y, but you can tell when Carmine isn't satisfied with the lines he's given. There was a scene at the beginning of the season, I think it was 'Cool Hunter' where Danny looks a the pictures of a girl and something like, 'These are some fine girls', anyway, it was a horrible line and I cringed along with Carmine as he delivered it.
    In the supposed 'flirty' lines, he has me cringing all the time now. It just doesn't work out, which is sad, he is such an awesome actor and Danny is a truly great charcter.

I'm a shipper at heart, I sail on a lot of ships, but DL doesn't cut it for me. Pair Lindsay with Mac or maybe with, well, Adam, but make her stay the hell away from Danny.
    /rant
    Right now, I'm putting my hopes on the summer hiatus, give the writers time to set their priorities right and straighten some things out.
    If that means getting rid of Montana - good. I thought maybe she could realise that the big city isn't the place for her after all, or her big, dark secret makes a guest appearance in the first episode of the new season and swallows her alive. If not, the rabid hedgehogs will do just fine.

As for Anna - well, I kinda like her. My main blame lies on the writers, though I can't overlook the deliveries she's benn giving us. I've only seen her on Medical Investigation, but that was dubbed. I know it sounds strange, but it can really alter the character, so I have to say, Eva Rossi was always brilliant.

P.S.: Most stupidest lines this season
    Lindsay: Danny doesn't call me Montana because I'm a fan of the [49ers?].
    Hammerback: No, he calls you that because he has a crush on you.
    Yeah, right. Did you see that big. big neon sign in the background again, practically jumping at us? 'Cause everyone know D/L is canon. Not.

11. kinkapoodles

kinkapoodles Judge

Wow...I didn't know that. Even Carmine knows it isn't working. Does he not have the least amount of input for his character?

She can't be that freakin stupid. NOOOOO, Danny can't have a crush on her. I always thought him calling her Montana was his way of being snarky and kinda mean to her. Carmine did say he was the one that started that.

About the marriage line in Super Men, he did sound monotone and forced. Like he didn't really want to say it but it was in the script. If he had said that to Aiden he would have been way much more enthusiastic about it and she would have had a good comeback for that. As was stated earlier, he would have been more enthusiastic to say it to Hawkes.

12. Jaer

Jaer Police Officer

It's been mentioned before that Anna would probably do better in a comedy or something much lighter that doesn't call on her to be dramatic. I have no idea how light her character was on MI but I know she didn't do much for me when I watched the Handler. I'll agree the writing's been subpar, but she's been the only one to have such a difficult time with her performance...unless the others (like the mentioned Carmine) are sharing a scene with her. I think Gary's the only one who can carry a scene off sharing a scene with her which only proves how talented he is. Robert Joy seems to do okay as well, with the exception of the early ep when she snatched the evidence from him and he looked affronted at her rudeness.

I can't imagine watching through another season with the writing be as poor as it has been meshed with the stilted acting that Anna comes across with. I really hope the writers discover their passion for the show again and that Anna discovers she'd be better off in theatre.

13. audrina

audrina Police Officer

You suggest that Carmine has a hard time with his "flirty" lines because he can't get into them, basically, or get behind them. Perhaps Anna seems off in her "forceful Lindsay" scenes because she as an actor feels they are incongruent with her character. I've heard CSI writers don't often give actors advance notice of future stories, so maybe Anna is having a hard time playing "haunted Lindsay" or "Lindsay with baggage" because she doesn't know Lindsay's history yet, she just knows she has "a past."

On a side note, I agree that Hill Harper needs some love. He's an excellent actor and they need to keep the show the ensemble that it's supposed to be.

14. kinkapoodles

kinkapoodles Judge

But Anna is an actor so she should be able to adjust to the changes in her character even if we don't like them. If she doesn't like the changes with her character then she needs to speak up and say something or learn how to make it work for Lindsay.

Whether or not she doesn't get advance notices on future stories should be irrelevant. Lots of shows don't give the actors the scripts until right before filming. That's true for season finales lots of the time. But the actors still pull it off. They pull it off because they are actors and that is their job. So, why can't she?

Maybe the problem's not with Lindsay but with Anna herself. Maybe she's just not comfortable playing Lindsay. Maybe she just doesn't know how to act in a drama. Whatever it is, it's not working.

Maybe if they had brought someone else in to play Lindsay, things would be different. Wasn't the character of Lindsay originally supposed to have another name?

Carmine never had problems getting into his flirty lines when he was working with Vanessa Ferlito. They had real chemistry that just oozed all over the screen.

15. audrina

audrina Police Officer

Okay, I agree about the actor thing - maybe she should be able to overcome it - but then shouldn't carmine in what many have called his flat delivery of flirtatious lines with Anna?

I don't disagree that scenes that are supposedly (allegedly, I guess, since we don't know) reflecting her past are a bit clunky, I'm just a believer that the fault lies mainly on the shoulders with the writers. JMO.

Peace

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.