Why Lindsay Must Go

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by JDonne, Apr 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaer

Jaer Police Officer

Oh, no. Hell, no. We are not like her. We're not moronic enough not to wear gloves when we work with horses. When we tackle somebody, they stay down...and if it's a cowboy, it's 'cause he wants to be there. Bug eating's no big deal to us because anytime you cook outdoors you're going to get some of nature's extras in the food, but we don't eat them on purpose unless we're still twelve and it's a dare. We don't pout when we get told to get work done, even if it's work we don't want to do because work is work and the sooner you get it done, the sooner you play. We do not use a baby voice to talk to adults and a shrill voice to get our points across because it scares the horses. We don't 'stomp' anywhere unless we're clogging. Damn right we'll chase after the cute guy, but we know how to take a hint when it ain't mutual. We don't use the death of someone as a dating opportunity. We don't stalk our bosses 'cause people have a right to their private lives...and usually we have better things to do.

In no way, shape or form, is Lindsay a country girl.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Damn right! :D

Lindsay gives country girls a bad name. I think the writers should have found a couple and consulted. Judas.

3. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Amen! I'm not a country girl, but I never thought country girls were simpering caricatures, like Lindsay is. It's funny how the references we get to the country are all really obtuse and sloppy. It's like the writers are just trying to show she stands out, by having other people notice her standing out. Huh? That's just cheap. It feels like no research was actually done into the character, and that there's no real knowledge at work here.

4. sarramaks

sarramaks Rookie

I agree ^. I think she's been badly created by the writers. I'm currently writing my first book (hoping it sees the light of day) and if I wrote a character as flat and two dimensional as she is I would be ashamed. I can't blame the actress, some of the lines she's been given have been cringeworthy and straight out of the cliche manual. I'm getting annoyed just thinking about it!! Back to my next chapter...

5. Bunny

Bunny Rookie

Wait. Wait, wait, wait a minute.
    Lindsay is not a typical country girl? Bummer. And here the writers had me thinking she was. My world has just been turned upside down.

:lol: I'm sorry, that just had to be said. Well, it had to be typed. :D

The thing that amazes me most - yep, it still does ;) - is her reaction to the water tower. She is a country girl, still has the calluses/scars from raw-hide braiding, yet she's never seen a water tower. What, don't they have running water in Montana? Maybe they have no electricity, too. That would explain the amount of meat folks keep in their basement. And the lab she used to work in was probably powered by a hamster running in a wheel.
    I'll stop here. For now, at least.

I think Cheshyre made a very valid point in bringing the aspect of consultation in. It seems to me like the different writers are all city-bred through and through, but their version of 'country life' ever so slightly differs, like Lindsay coming from Montana, yet she's got no clue about water towers.
    I think it would be a good thng for the writers to get their butts out of the city for a week and go for a holiday in the country. And Napa Valley doesn't count! Some nice, small town, a couple of days at a farm, a look behind the scenes of a small crime lab. Maybe even *gasp* talk to someone living there. Just a friendly hint.

Which leads me to the question: Why did Mac hire her again? It had something to do with blood stains, does that sound about right? Good for her that she managed to obtain that evidence, but how often have we seen her processing blood stains (it's probably work for the techs, come to think of it) or looking at, well, photographs of blood spatter.
    Also, that was enough for Mac to hire a CSI from a lab in Montana, where I'm assuming they don't have half of the cool equipment they use in NY? Wouldn't he have been better off with someone more experienced, considering Hawkes had just started as CSI, too? Was there really no-one more experienced who wanted to work in NY?

But it's late and I'm ranting again.

Just one more thing. RE: Lindsay's interactions with Flack. Flack has become quite a master in ignoring her and the one time he really talks to her, he gets blown up. If I were him, I'd stay away from her. :lol:

6. kinkapoodles

kinkapoodles Judge

Exactly what I want to know. Mac hired Hawkes as a CSI. Was there not anyone else in NYC that was qualified to be a CSI?

Flack sure doesn't seem to care for her much. I thought he was kind of snarky with her when he asked if they had block parties in Montana. Hopefully they will keep these two apart in season 3.

7. JDonne

JDonne CSI Level One

Flack absolutly snarked Lindsay in CoTP and rightfully so, he's probably just as tired of her stupid ass backwards questions as we are. I mean first a water tower and now a mythical block party. I would have told her the water tower was a remnant of the only known UFO landing in the world and the block party was a tribal mating ritual, but watch out because they tend to sacrifice the first virgin or dumbass they can find, Lindsay qualifies in at least one of those categories, the latter I think. I've only been to Montana once but they had Internet access when I was there, perhaps Lindsay's family couldn't afford the luxury, and the nearest library was a 30-mile walk uphill in a snowstorm with a tornado swirling in the middle, after all, they couldn't buy her gloves to keep the ropes from gnarling her hands.

Lindsay probably thinks Flack's snark is an improvement because he finally lowered himself to acknowledge her existence and then to actually speak to her. It must take every ounce of his strength because I don't think he suffers fools gladly.

When it comes to the country references that is entirely a writer problem, but really, it is just part of a much larger problem. Hopefully, the summer provided enough time for everyone to finish rehab and the crack induced writing, casting, and plotting are things of the past. I guess I should find comfort in the fact that the entire franchise went to hell this past season, yet I can't because NY was my last hope.

Ali

8. Showtime

Showtime Police Officer

I think you just said everything that needs to be said, in the funniest way that it could be said.

Although I still am a faithful, loving watcher of CSI:LV, I'll be the first to admit how much of a soap opera it's turned into. What happened to Robot!Grissom? I miss him.

Miami was always the shithole it is now.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

I didn't get the water tower thing. Maybe because I've been to the "big city" a time or two and I've seen them before.

And the block party thing just pissed me off. Dear laws, a block party looks the same no matter where it's held. A bunch of people, food, music. Sometimes it's held in a street, sometimes it's held out behind the barn. Judas.

We're from the country. We're not ignorant.

That just irks me so much about this character. If the writers want to put it out there that she's from the country, then do it right.

10. kinkapoodles

kinkapoodles Judge

Maybe that's why Flack was so snarky to her. Everybody knows what a block party is no matter where it's held. :rolleyes: She had to know what it was because when he asked if they had block parties in Montana she said yeah, in Wyoming. So she knew what it was. Maybe it was a lame attempt to talk to Flack since he obviously doesn't care if he talks to her or not.

Poor Danny always getting stuck on cases with her. Quit trying to make them have the same feel as Aiden and Danny 'cause it AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN! :mad:I like it better when she works with Mac or even Stella but not with Danny and Flack.

11. Jaer

Jaer Police Officer

Don't get me started on the damn block party thing. The town I live in has a dance festival every year and they block off main street and everybody dances and has fun and we could probably give pointers on doing a block party right.

Damn right we're not ignorant. Why some of us can spell whole words and everything. :eek: :rolleyes:

Lindsay needs to go. The whole country girl thing is poorly done and insulting. She brings absolutely nothing to the show that makes it worth watching and interfers quite a bit with the parts that are worth watching. Anna Belknap's acting is a deterrent and takes away from the viewing pleasure.

I'm sure TPTB are worried about shaking up the cast again this soon, but really, Lindsay's character is something that needs fixing every bit as much as the 'dark' feel of the early 1st season. They need to get rid of Anna Belknap and cast someone who knows how to act in dramatic moments, not just comedic. Someone who blends with the rest of the cast and makes them a team on screen again.

12. Silencer

Silencer CSI Level One

I disagree, I don't think think they need to cast anyone at all if Anna left. Hill could, and should, take the place within the team that he was meant to have in series two. Hawkes is a wasted character right now, yet he's interesting, compassionate, funny and professional. He gets on well with everyone. Why they pushed him to the back when they had such a gem of a character is totally beyond me.

13. kinkapoodles

kinkapoodles Judge

^That's what I think. They didn't need to hire Anna when they already had Hawkes moving into the field. He was so cheated out of screen time and good stories because they cast her. He is so unused and much more talented. I even like him working with Danny. They have more chemistry than Danny does with Lindsay. :lol:

I guess they pushed him to the back because they were planning on Lindsay being such a "wonderful" addition. How'd that go?? She's no Aiden that's for sure. Don't get me wrong, it's not because I liked Aiden so much that makes me dislike Lindsay. It's just that she doesn't fit in. When they added Jonathan Togo to CSI:Miami, I warmed up to him instantly even though I missed my Speedle (and still do). Ryan wasn't Speedle, but he is likable. He fits in well. Lindsay however, doesn't.

14. Jaer

Jaer Police Officer

To be honest, I don't care if they don't replace her, so long as they get rid of her.

I would love to see more of Hawkes and more of Hammerback, both are played by talented actors who deserve more time and larger roles rather than force us to suffer through more of Anna Belknap stomping around the set trying to play a part she is so obviously not talented enough make believable.

15. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

I keep coming back to the Speedle/Ryan comparison, too, 1CSIMfan. I loved Speedle more than I ever did Aiden, but when Ryan came along he was introduced so well that I pretty much liked him right away. Ryan had a charming awkwardness to him, and I felt his transition into the team was very natural, perhaps because it didn't happen all at once. Ryan was very much an outsider for most of his first season on the show, and towards the end of the third season, he was clearly starting to resent that and clashing with Delko a bit. That felt very real to me, and I guess it also helps that Jonathan Togo is just a great actor.

Not so with Lindsay. She was introduced with some downright unlikable qualities--she's a kiss ass, she likes to show up her co-workers, she's snippy, etc. But rather than reacting naturally to her, like how Delko displayed frustration when Ryan acted out (taking credit for evidence, getting chummy with the press), the team seemed to just accept her, despite the fact that she wasn't much of a team player (remember the charming incident in Manhattan Manhunt, when she sulked about being sent back to the lab?). If she'd been brought in to add friction and the team reacted to her in that way, I'd buy it. But as it is, she's just unpleasant, but we're supposed to buy that everyone likes her. That's kind of frustrating.

I'm indifferent to the addition of another character. If they got rid of Lindsay, I'd be thrilled. If they wanted to add another character, fine, but it wouldn't be a bad thing if they gave Hill more screen time. To echo what Jaer said, I'd rather watch Hill than Anna any day of the week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.