'Just a bunch of hosers, eh!' ~ Canadian Thread #2

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by wibble, May 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

Man, I can get ANYTHING here at Talkcsi. This board just keeps on giving. :p

Thanks for the charter, now I know that we actually have one. :lol: *puts all doubt aside*

2. Palm

Palm Coroner

My Dad says in his household, his charter is the Charter of Rights. And whatever he says, goes D:

I can't pull any of that "The Charter of Freedom!" stuff because he retorts with "The Charter of you sleeping outside with the dog..."

3. CSI3

CSI3 Lab Technician

I took law this semester, and we obviously learned about the Charter, and other Canadian laws. What I find most interesting is that in most laws they use the word "reasonable" but don't define it, which makes no sense, since what is reasonable to me may not be reasonable to you and vice versa.

My only issue with the Charter is Sec. 33 or the "Notwithstanding Clause", because what with the reasonable limits imposed in Sec. 2 the govm'ts have enough power, and Sec. 33 is used to circumvent the Charter, which is not a pretty situation. It leads to unfair laws ie. Ford case in Quebec, in which a store owner had a law preventing English signage from being diplayed overturned by the SCC, only to have that same law reinstated in accordance to Sec. 33 procedures.

4. Palm

Palm Coroner

.... yeah. So. I bow to your intelligence because that came out as nothing in my mind X3

5. Finch

^^..Uh.....*sits quietly in the dumb-dumb chair*

6. quickbeam_cw

quickbeam_cw CSI Level One

Oh, constitutional loopholes, everyone's best friend. :rolleyes: The whole not-defining of the reasonable limits thing is a bit irritating. It's like an advertising trick, where you can say whatever the hell you want, as long as you throw in words like "virtually" or "practically." Or you can say that your product is "the best" even if there's 20 different products nearly identical to it... if they're all the same, then technically they must all be "the best"... :rolleyes:

"Our raw meat is virtually salmonella free!! Try some today!"

Anyways, what was my point again? Oh yeah, Constitution, right right...

The whole 'no-English-signage' in Quebec always kinda bothered me. Ok, so I don't have a problem with the 'protecting the French culture' thing, but what about the 'you get to choose whether you speak English or French' thing. *le sigh*

7. Laetri

Laetri CSI Level One

Would you mind taking Courdtsy back please. She is as annoying as a box full of monkeys playing the tambourine while singing "I know a song that gets on everybody's nerves" and it wasn't very nice to dump her in the United States, we have enough problems without her thank you very much.

8. Palm

Palm Coroner

^ Who? What? Where, when and possibly How/Why.

yeah, so it's raining here and a bird just hit my window.

9. allstar12

allstar12 CSI Level Three

^
    ^
    I'm gonna ditto that remark .. Laetri, who are you talking about..?

It hasn't rained much, I kinda wish it would though my lawn is dying. But there's been Chicago-esque winds the last couple of days .. it's weird.

10. Finch

^^^ Um...Yes please explain.

-It's been raining here for three days. I saw these weird clouds outside my window and then white lightening, so I was a tad freaked out...*schooches away from window*

11. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

I understood!!!!! (Is immensley proud of herself) I took a law class in my final year of high school... it was a great class.

12. Finch

Then perhaps you could explain what Laetri was talking about because that one went straight over my head. :lol:

13. IlovemySNICKERS

IlovemySNICKERS CSI Level One

Don't worry....the last few posts about the constitution and charter, they went right over my head!....so yeah....if anyone wants to explain what Laetri says that would kick ass.

i think i might have to go reread the charter now.....

14. Palm

Palm Coroner

I THINK it's supposed to be Courtesy. I have no idea. All I know is it scares me.

And damn iTunes and it's "Give me your visa and your soul!" policies D:

15. glam_chic86

glam_chic86 Head of the Graveyard Shift

^ :lol: I know how you feel. I hate their policy too but that's the only way I can get music so...

It rained just a couple of days ago here in Vancity. It was actually pouring out. Luckily I was inside watching the World Cup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.