"Grave Danger" Discussion (Beware Spoilers)

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, May 18, 2005.

1. MedicWarrickLvr

MedicWarrickLvr Coroner

Re: Post - "Grave Danger" Episode Discussion/Review ***Spoilers***

Me and my friends did EXACTLY the same thing! I was screaming at Warrick........GO BACK he's down there! I was freaking out!

2. nickgregfan

nickgregfan Prime Suspect

I thought the EXACT same thing, that he was under there too. :lol: The writers really had us gonig, but it was just too much time left for him to be found that soon. :lol:

3. Catherine_Willows

Catherine_Willows Coroner

AHHH!! Ants!!!! I was outside today with my siblings and I felt something crawling around on my neck. I reached back there and felt something sting and when I grabbed what had done it, it was a red ant!! *screams*

Anyway, I wanted to comment on the 35 million viewers that watched the finale: :eek: That is all.

4. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Going off topic sort of for a minute, Yep apparently some forgot it started at 8pm instead.

<Excerpt> 'CSI: Miami' & Original 'CSI' Break Ratings Records
    "According to the Hollywood Reporter, the two-hour finale averaged 30.1 million viewers, which wasn't enough to break the record of more than 31 million set by "Ch-Ch-Changes" in November. However, this was apparently primarily due to the fact that a lot of people forgot they had to tune in an hour earlier to catch the start of the season finale -- during the last half hour of the show, it was watched by an unprecedented 35.1 million people."

5. wlk68

wlk68 Pathologist

That smile of hers really got to me. I couldn't tell if it was a "he's given me hope-I'll try not to let this situation overwhelm me" kind of smile or if it was a "once I get out of here I am going to seek revenge-starting with you" kind of smile. :devil:

Since it gave me goose-bumps I am leaning more towards the second one.

But hey, it would give QT a reason to come back and direct another ep.

6. MissDee

MissDee Lab Technician

I'm half-expecting that the whole team has to react to Nick's incarceration next season. That'd be fitting... Nick goes back to work; they're all telling him that he has to deal with what happened to him, but it's all the other CSIs who discover that they haven't faced their own demons over what happened. TPTB could write things like maybe Grissom or Catherine refusing to give him solo assignments (even when they really should), or someone freezing up when having to process a crime scene that reminds them of what happened, things like that. I think that would be more effective than having some big group cry at the end of the episode.

7. lament

lament Captain

Re: Post - "Grave Danger" Episode Discussion/Revie

That's what I'm expecting.

8. tinyspark

tinyspark Lab Technician

I'm hoping for this outcome as well. They have to deal with it - it's too big an issue to just conveniently forget about.

It's also interesting to see how people react to trauma experienced by those close to them. I mean, Nick pretty much lost his mind (and who wouldn't?) down there - it'll be interesting to see how that translates into his relationships with the other CSIs. Or if he'll even be able to face his job again.

9. lament

lament Captain

I have a feeling that Nick will try to "play through the pain" like the dependable guy he is, and then a few episodes into the season, he'll crack or break down.

As for his relationships with the others...wow. I can't wait to see how that manifests.

10. tinyspark

tinyspark Lab Technician

Years. Daily. Hourly.

I'm still totally digging this ending. His forgiveness really touched me, reminded me why I love Nick so much as a character. He still hasn't lost those manners, and his general regard for other human beings, especially those who have suffered.

I think that's the natural progression of things. He has (as you mentioned) been on this road to darkness for a while. Grave Danger pretty much sealed the deal on that.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Just a quick note..

When Warrick and Catherine were digging up at the warehouse, Warrick had mentioned the size of the 'thing' that was burried in the ground. Needless to say, the size of the coffin would have not fit Nicky, and definitely not the size of the box they were seeing through the webcam (thought they've only seen the top part), and I do know you can get really hopeful when in such deseprate situation... but I think they should've already known that it was not Nick down there.

Well, at least that's what I think...

12. Guest

Guest Guest

I'm still shaken... Tarantino did a good job with this episode. Angst all along... It was like watching a 90 mins long CSI movie. And I'm glad that it was Nick who had to suffer all that horror - no not because I enjoyed seeing him like that, but cos he is my fave character in the show and having chosen him as the victim of that insane kidnapper made him the central figure of this movie-like episode. So he had the lead and became the most important character of the last episode. Thanks to the writer of this ep. for this.

George was excellent, he played his role very convincing - I'm truly amazed by him. And the others also did a good job, esp. Grissom, Cath and Warrick. Their worry and terror was so real - I guess this episode was an emotional challenge for the actors / actresses. They had to show extreme feelings and imagine themselves in a terrible nightmare - a situation that's shocking and calls for almost unimaginable reactions. I mean i.e. Nick's panick and extreme fear and the thought that the chance of saving him is almost equal with zero. Or the helplessness of the CSI gang, the desperation seeing their colleague and friend at the edge of death but not being able to do anything for him. And also the guilt Warrick felt for Nick being there in that coffin and not himself. Catherine was ready to make every effort to find Nick, she let herself carried away by her emotions not caring about anyone seeing the tough CSI to be so desperated. She seemed to feel responsibility for him and almost motherly care. Sara was the opposite, she suffered inside, in silence, but her pain was visible on her face. (Hopefully this shock will help her and also Nick to re-value the relationship they have and cross the line of simple friendship. Yeah, I'm a Snicker! LOL )

So I think the cast did a great job in this episode, I can't wait for the upcoming 6th season.

And maybe Tarantino should participate in more episodes in the future...

<font color="red"> lament </font> , nice siggy you have there! :p

13. LabRat101

LabRat101 Pathologist

This will be very interesting. If you think about it, there hasn't been too much continuity in CSI. Really only the most major plot lines with characters have made it past 1 or 2 episodes. I can definately see how what happened to Nick could have long lasting effects, but not I'm not so sure how much it will be played out after the way the ending was. They better not just brush it off like they did with him in "Stalker", I'll be so angry! :mad:

Give the man some moral support here. Especially the way you guys mentioned he's been slowly on a downward spiral.

14. Guest

Guest Guest

I don't know if this has been spotted by any other poster here, but I'm re-watching the finale right now and something struck me as Tarantino's hand: even though all chars have a job to do and, IMHO, a fair amount of screen time according to his/her importance in the overall series, it is the secondary characters who find the evidence to ultimately save the day! This is so un-Mary Sue of the scriptwriters it is rather touching! You see: Sara finds the thumb from which Mia gets the daughter's DNA, the Asian token computer geek explains the doings of the camera feed and broadcast, Greg finds the lead to the prototype dog plexiglass casket, Sara remembers the fact that the girl was an horticulturalist, Hodges finds the trace of explosives under the dogs casket.

Yes, yes, it's Gil's enthomologist expertise that identifies the specific type of ant, a rare one in the area and Catherine determines the location of the computer broadcast, thus locating Nick's burial site.

Don't you think it is a sure sign of strong scriptwriting talent when the secondary characters are so well used?

It only comes to prove my point on other fandom: if TPTB really understood the fact that they should spend less money on looks/silly special effects/fashion, and more money on good writing/directing/acting, many a series would last far longer then they did.

I LOVE THIS EPISODES! YEAH!

Falc

15. lament

lament Captain

*holds Archie tight* I'm sorry, but I've never thought of him as a "token."

Yeah, I agree. I also like it when Ecklie gathered the lab techs together and told them the department wouldn't pay the ransom. For me, this was an important recognition that there were a lot of nameless lab techs in the lab who would be concerned about Nick.