"Grave Danger" Discussion (Beware Spoilers)

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, May 18, 2005.

1. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

Re: Post - "Grave Danger" Episode Discussion/Review ***Spoilers***

OK, having just watched it again, a few more things particulaly pertaining to Nick (surprise surprise! :lol: ) have ocurred to me:

- I mentioned in the pre-thread that I wondered how Nick would deal with it later if he reached the point where he turns the gun on himself... Well, he did reach that point, so...? Man, I seriously think he's got years of therapy ahead of him.

- I do think Nick still retained his core self, even after all that happened. At the end, and clearly after some recovery time, he still went to tell the kidnapper's daughter that it wasn't her fault and that she shouldn't "take it with her." This to me seems to say that he's down, but not beaten.

Overall though, I think Nick as a character has been slowly moving on the inevitable cynical downward spiral. I think the cracks in the armour are beginning to how, and I started noticing it at the end of 'Snakes', then 'Compulsion' and then definitely at the end of '4x4': "Just another day in paradise."

So what I'm getting at is, will we see a new, darker Nick next season? Ironically, i just read that George Eads interview on CSI Files, and he seems to think Nick should start to go downhill, so to speak. And I wonder if the writers agree, or if they'll just take the usual "things happen, we move on and don't dwell on it" approach.

Sorry this is such a Nick-centric post, but I'm afraid that if I post a new "Nick in the aftermath of 'Grave Danger'" thread, the title alone is a spoiler! :lol:

2. Committed2Wolfe

Committed2Wolfe Lab Technician

This was definetely the most emotional episode of CSI. I cried throughout the entire ting. Everytime Nick started crying, so did I. And when he started singing, I got realy sad. I couldn't stop crying when they found him and Grissom was calling him Poncho. It was a truly good episode. But it was disturbing. When Nick first woke up, I had to look away an plug my ears, because of the screaming and him moving around and trying to get out. It was just too much.

I liked the scene with Catherine and her dad, but I thought it was stupid for Catherine to get the money. What criminal really cooperates when it comes to ransoms?

Altogther, it was very good. I liked the way Warrick reacted. It showed how truly close they were, but truthfully, i thought that Greg would have been more upset.

I totally agree with Hodges. I miss the old Greg.

Anyway, I'll stop talking now...

3. anna_scott

anna_scott Police Officer

With all due respect. Q.T. is one of the most fabiolous Directors of all times and some scenes from GD actually made me catch my breath, but when I view the picture as a whole I saddly have to say that there have been better eps, i.e. Butterflied or Committed. Typical charcteristics for Q.T.s way of filmmaking were noticable in GD but I have to say that Q.T. did not really deal great with the pre-given aspects of the story of CSI. All of his other movies... Kill Bill, Pulp Fiction etc. came out of his mind and he made them to legends but the CSI characters were already there and he had to work with what was already there. I guess that's what brought up the difficulties. GD was a good ep, but not a great one!! sry...

PEACE

4. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

Oh and one more thing I realized... This means no more new CSI episodes until September! :( D'OH!

:lol:

5. ladyemerald

ladyemerald Witness

I know someone has already mentioned this before- but I can't find the quote. =P
    The scene with the dog was so terrifying because I really thought that they found Nick- with all the switching back and forth of the scenes. And when it turned up to be a dog, Warr and Cath were almost crying. I thought I was going to die from all the suspense.
    But seriously, this has to be the best CSI episode in the history of episodes. I'm so glad that all the orginal writers and QT came together to write this one. It really brought back the nostalgia of the beginning seasons, which I miss a lot. Season 5 was totally below my expectations, and I'm so glad that the finale brought it back to the top.
    Keep going Poncho. ;)

6. Guest

Guest Guest

I've finally got to see GD and I've got to say it is AWESOME!

Kudos to all the cast, the writers, producers and last, but not least, Tarantino, one of the greatest moviemakers of our times!

So perfect! So emotional! With a taste of good fanfictions writing (No Mary Sues!)! Didn't it sound like what a good fanfic author would write, as opposed to what typical TV writers do? To give the characters emotions, to give them a life besides the job, to show them in regular off moments such as the locker room talk, the Trigger bit, and the board game? In short, to HUMANIZE them, show them as human beings? This isn't something regular mystery TV series writers usually do! That's TARANTINO, who is, first and foremost, a fan! He made all characters true to themselves and yet, so human, from Ecklie to Hodges! And Tarantino is not shy or afraid of good over-the-top drama, compounding the horror of being buried alive with fire antes and explosives. The guy isn't afraid of anything!

The delirium scene at the morgue? Perfect, both as a macabre comedic interlude as a demo of what would be a forensic tech's worse nightmare, that is to end up lying on a morgue slab himself.

Going to visit the secondary victim of the situation, the daughter, was also typical. What Nick said to Kelly, "When you leave here, don't take it with you?" He's referring to the whole prison experience. Don't take the pennitentiary with you when you're finally released. The smile on Kelly's face afterwards shows it will be impossible. The penn will always stay with her for as long as she lives, transforming her from a naïve horticulturalist who happened to meet the wrong guy, into a bitter ex-con who's been through hell.

In all, one of the most significant television experiences I've seen in my life, and I've seen a lot.

WONDERFUL!

Elated Falc

7. lambda_T

lambda_T CSI Level One

As long as he doesn't show up to work one day wearing Darth Vader's helmet, I'm sure it won't be that bad! :lol:

I can totally see a darker Nick next season; after all the stress that the finals put on his psychological state, it's only natural that this will scar him for a while and subsequently, his character will be more on the "depressed" and "darker" side until he completely heals from the trauma that he went through.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Hey. I'm new here! :)

Anyways, this episode was by far my favorite of any CSI episode I've ever seen! Tee hee, but I do have a question. Does anyone know the name of the song that Nick was singing at the beginning of the ep, and again during it?

9. lambda_T

lambda_T CSI Level One

Welcome ZeQueenOfBleu! :)

Unfortunately, I don't know the name of the song that Nick was singing... :confused:

10. Kristen9999

Kristen9999 CSI Level One

Yeah, I surprised no one else mentioned how terrible it was to see him bring that gun under his chin. His breathing got harsher, he DIDN"T want to, you could tell. But how much did he all ready endure and with the fan off...he just could not hang out anymore. Thats' why the whole "Put that now!" command from Warrick was so powerful.

Nick used his training to survie. Thinking about his hearing, protecting it, after realizing the light was linked to teh fan.

Stuffing part of his shirt into his nose to hel ward off the ants. Singing ever..to keep sane. Talk about core parts of a character.

As far as a dark Nick..maybe..I think so. As metioned before it seemed some of those cases were starting to eat away at him. Also did anyone notice how he almost could not keep it together talking to the daughter. He has a ton of therapy waiting.

I almost wonder if the first eppy will be his first day back at work. Maybe something along the lines that Cath gives him a softabll type case..B&E, and parnters him with Warrick, just to keep an eye out.

Hmmm.

All good points Bab!!

Kristen

11. Kristen9999

Kristen9999 CSI Level One

I have to disagree :)

QT did a wonderful job of balaceing his touch on this. If it were too much his style..then it would not be CSI.

However more to how he effected it.

The concept of the story is pure QT. The storyline has been used, yea, but the details of the crime, Nick's suffering, the teams' reaction, the pacing...all very QT.

The story would not be as flushed as if anyone else write it. Things have all ready been said. The locker room scene. "Trigger" and the cowboy stuff. Mentioned Sam Braun, Warrick's gambeling problems, Gil's skill as an entomogosit, etc. I would not expect such detail from the normal writers.

QT also added his long shots, the B&w shots, his use of music (however subtel and the Turtle's track), the scenes inside the coffin, panning to the lab, coroner scene , the back and forth scene between them digging up the dog and the ants.

Also who esle would have put Nick through that much hell...let's add ants! I evern wonder about the gun and how Nick almost used it...was that QT's thoughts or the other writers?

Honestly, if QT did not write and direct this eppy, it would have not stood out as much. I could get more technial, but I won't bore anyone.

I don't want to argue the point..really :) Just maybe more food for thought.

Kristen

12. wlk68

wlk68 Pathologist

Fragile....thats it exactly.

When they yanked him out of the coffin and he was huddled on the ground, all shivery and trembling, and then again when he was clutching at Cath's and Warrick's hands when the ambulance pulled away....that's the word that came to my mind, too.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

I don't think I can handle a fragile Nicky, in pain Nicky (in Stalker) was bad enough, now we have to have fragile terrified Nicky *whimpers*

Can anyone guess which character (off screen) after the ordeal broke down first?

What did Grissom say to Officer Michaels at the scene during the time that Michaels was getting yelled at by Brass?

14. lament

lament Captain

Greg!

15. Mougie

Mougie Prime Suspect

I agree Wojo, fire ant bites are painful.My grandma always told me not to pop the blister that the bites make,but I did anyway. I saw a special on the discovery channel and it said that first,they bite,then the sting. It also said that fire ants inject a small amount of cyanide into the victim. If that is the case, I don't think Nick would have survived from that many bites.