'CSI' To Receive Fierce Competition From 'Grey's Anatomy'

CSI Files

Captain
ABC Entertainment this week announced the hit show Grey's Anatomy will be moving to the Thursday 9 o'clock slot next season, opposite CSI.

Following the lives of a group of young surgeons in a Seattle hospital, Grey's Anatomy has become a hit since its premiere almost years ago. The show has earned a spot in the top five most watched shows in the country, and a monster broadcast of its season finale on Monday night earned ABC the ratings crown. Grey's was the most watched show of the night, knocking CSI: Miami out of the competition, something other shows haven't been able to do.

And now, Grey's Anatomy is going after CSI. "We feel it's a show that deserves the 9 o'clock time period (on Thursday). It deserves to be on the mantle of great shows on television," ABC Entertainment president <font color=yellow>Stephen McPherson</font> said.

"You have to be aggressive," he added. "You have to play the cards you're dealt, and we've got some good cards."

Meanwhile, CBS has announced it has picked up seven pilots for the 2006-2007 season. Five new dramas and two comedies will premiere on the Eye network next season, including Shark, a show about a celebrity attorney turned prosecutor, staring CSI's <font color=yellow>Romy Rosemont</font> (Jacquie Franco).

ABC's announcement regarding Grey's move can be found at the Hollywood Reporter. To view a complete list of CBS's new pilots, head over to the Futon Critic.<center></center>

Re: 'CSI' To Receive Fierce Competition From 'Grey's Anatomy

I think CSI will keep on top, more people have watched the show and longer than those of Grey's Anatomy. Even though I love GA, I think I will stick to CSI.

ABC what are you doing? You are putting me in against the wall here. I love both shows and I get my fix from both, but I'll stick to CSI.

This was a dumb move from ABC. Challenging ER? Yeah, possibly. But why put your hottest show against the number one drama on television?

question, if someone tapes a show or uses a dvr would that get recorded in the ratings for that show? i know from talking to other people and what ive read here most people are going to stick to csi but may still tape greys anatomy so they can watch it later. ive never watched it, but csi is first among any show in my books. and i think a lot of people who watch both shows will feel the same. the ratings for csi probably wont drop, but i dont think i can say the same for greys anatomy. why does it 'deserve' to be thursdays at 9? whats wrong with any other day of the week? doesnt abc realize most people are busy at 9 oclock on thursdays? :lol:

I don't know what in the world ABC is doing. And now CBS is putting Without A Trace on Sundays at 10 PM, Grey's Anatomy's old timeslot. ABC should have at least put GA on Thursdays at 10, it would probably do better then, with WaT moved and no competition from CSI.

As someone mentioned elsewhere, CTV (in Canada) shows both Grey's Anatomy AND CSI, so I wonder how it's going to work for us up here North of the border?

question, if someone tapes a show or uses a dvr would that get recorded in the ratings for that show?

Nothing you watch counts for the ratings, unless you're a Nielsen family.

T_T... I'm a big fan of both shows but I think I'm more dedicated to csi. GA is awsome but just not awsome enough....+ what a stupid move on GA's part going against csi.. arg.. its the small things like this that get me all worked up

I think GA will do good. CSI is starting to run on fumes. I honestly can't name one episode this season that I've found utterly fascinating. GA is shocking. People like that. The problem with shows like that is people get tired of them easily (Desperate Housewives), but I'm pretty sure GA is gonna make it hard for CSI for a while.

I highly doubt that Gray's is going to unseat CSI, it's just too popular. Anyway, I know that I'm sticking with CSI.

More people watch CSI than Gray's anatomy, and people have been watching CSI longer than Gray's anatomy. CSI is much better than Grey's anatomy; CSI will stay in top.

Just saw this on IMDB:

"No Contest Between 'CSI' and 'Grey's Anatomy'

They may still be showing reruns, but ABC and CBS in their first confrontation on Thursday nights with their highest-rated TV shows may be testing one another's resolve to continue the contest into the fall. If so, ABC may be the network to back off. On Thursday, its Grey's Anatomy was bested by CBS's CSI -- handily. CSI attracted 10.44 million viewers, while Grey's drew just 6.02 million. Earlier in the evening, another repeat of Grey's attracted only 5.5 million viewers."

If I remember correctly, I think after an episode a couple weeks back, there was a promo saying "This fall catch G/A on Thursdays and Sundays", so it looks like they're going to air both nights.
...whether or not they re-air the new episode again on Sunday remains to be seen...

Back