Season 14 Spoiler Lab Discussion

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Smokey, Jun 1, 2013.

1. MaxPointy

MaxPointy Hit and Run

Woo Hoo! New opening title sequence!

Looks great - nice refresh while keeping the essence of the old.

2. Sookie

Sookie CSI Level One

Where has the CSI that I enjoyed watching gone....

3. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

Okay that was totally not what I was expecting. Great twist in this episode. I really enjoyed it.

4. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Nick's background has been that he was a cop before becoming a CSI, so he is trained to do this. No, doesn't mean he should be, but out of all the CSIs he's the only one with the police background.

5. JorjaFoxFan

JorjaFoxFan CSI Level One

I... am at a loss for words.

You've got to be joking.

Nancy? Nancy isn't at all "close to the CSI family" if anything the "CSI family" (if you can even manage to call them that) feels sorry for Brass, or feels his pain vicariously through him.

You know, Brass was one of the originals left, and someone who I really like and respect as a character that stands by himself in this show. After 14 years they have to go and disgrace everything we were led to believe he was? To find out that Ellie wasn't even his daughter and he was just a scumbag? Are you joking?
    And so Ellie is now a killer and murdered her own mother because daddy never paid her any attention? That's all Brass has been trying to do since Hollywood Brass, back in S4. Ellie has actively refused any sort of reconciliation with her father, despite his many attempts, and NOW she decides that she still isn't valued enough?

Pathetic. It's a weak story and it destroys the credibility that Brass once carried with him.

Morgan was terrible. The acting was terrible, and her persona was terrible. Despite being completely out of her element, she still never hesitated to talk back to a man who had her tied up and was prepared to kill her, still had the time to tell off Ellie for being ungrateful despite the situation they were both in... It was just laughable. Completely laughable.

The one or two brief scenes which they obligatorily allocated to Nick were simply of him looking and acting pissed, and not really contributing to the team at all. Great job, really in keeping with how we've been led to believe Nick would react in such a situation :shifty:

But hey! After hours of a life saving surgery, Morgan still had a full face of makeup on!

6. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

It's been known for many years that Brass was not Ellie's biological father, and that both he and Nancy had affairs.

7. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Perfectly said! What a crappy piece of writing. I've said it before and I'll say it again....fan fic fan fic fan fic.

And this is what they give us for Brass and Ellie after all of these years? If I didn't know better, I would think that they are purposely trying to piss off the die hard fans the way they've handled this....GSR...turning Vega into a killer...and need I mention what they've done to Nick/George? Shameful.

But it's sooooo realistic, I guess. Because so often in law enforcement you have a father/daughter "we've been shot!" team. :rolleyes: And a "nearly everyone on our team has been kidnapped or had a family member kidnapped" team. :rolleyes:

8. beaujolais

beaujolais Lab Technician

They completely ignored everything they've written about Brass' past for the first 9 seasons (I don't count 10 -13 because they were an an abomination for Brass as well as a few others). I about choked when Nancy accused him of being a bad husband. She was the one who was "open 24/7" and he's the one who stayed with the marriage despite her constant fooling around. Just blows my mind.

On the plus side though Paul G killed that episode.

And yes, Morgan made me cringe several times. I was kind of wishing Ellie had better aim.

9. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

You didn't know Brass wasn't her father? That was mentioned, I believe in the first episode Ellie ever appeared in.

10. goldnhart

goldnhart Rookie

I had wondered if the victim would be Nancy — or even D.B.'s wife, for some reason. But I never expected who the killer would be. Brass has always done everything possible to show his love to her and keep her out of trouble. This was all too bizarre.

11. Gloriana

Gloriana Dead on Arrival

Yes, indeed. I think Greg figured it out in the lab, Warrick asked if Ellie was adopted, and Brass was like 'Call it the mailman'. In 'Hollywood Brass' they established the infidelities in his marriage and all that.

I mean, fine, I've met plenty of people who NEVER get over their resentment at their parents no matter what that parent does to prove they care, but this resolution with Ellie still felt like a cheap cop-out. The whole thing did, but then I didn't expect much more than what they gave us (though, I admit, they didn't pull as many of the cliche's I was thinking they would).

Ellie could have easily killed Morgan, the 'non lethal shot' was unbelievable to me, as was the fact she went ahead and killed her mother but didn't pull the trigger on Brass (it was already established she was closer to her mother from the beginning). I didn't see it coming that Ellie would turn out to be the 'villain' here, but that doesn't make it a good story move, you know? They did it for the sake of the shock factor, not a good story.

The whole motivation for the bad guys was ridiculous, and the 'anagram' thing made me facepalm hard (as well as that 'warm', 'warmer' moment). You guys are right, I think they're directly ripping from Fanfic at this point (and movies from the 90s they must think their precious younger demographic won't remember). Exploding car? Carved dowels hidden within a boat? Synthetic DNA samples? It was just painful.

I feel bad for Brass (why do they insist on torturing the most beloved characters?) but Nancy dying wasn't so much a shock as it was just plain gratuitous.

No suspense with Morgan because I knew she wasn't going to die, so her scenes were just overkill. We already saw her do 'Morgan in Peril', it was irritating to have to sit through the same thing AGAIN. She's like a MacGuffin, she's just there to induce Greg or Hodges to be concerned, or for Ecklie to show his paternal side. She also comes off to me like a Disney character dropped into a crime procedural. Harnois is admittedly adorable to look at, but I just don't buy her as a CSI at all. She was used like a prop in this episode as well, terrible writing.

EDIT: By the way, when they found the flash drive and it connected them to Morgan under the lights, who immediately thought "Hello 'Grave Danger'!" ??

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  12. Micha

Micha Rookie

CSI: Las Vegas 14.09 "Check In And Check Out"

A series of grisly but apparently unrelated murders, which all take place in the same seedy motel room, have the team wondering if the room really is a demonic an deadly site that "possesses" its inhabitants.

13. MaxPointy

MaxPointy Hit and Run

They're not done with the Brass/Ellie saga yet.

It won't truly be over until Ellie hangs herself in prison.

14. Sookie

Sookie CSI Level One

That was such a bad episode. Morgan was terrible. She cannot carry an episode and no more should be written for her. I did not care what happened to her and did not think the scene with her and Ecklie was touching at all.

Paul G was the saving grace - my heart ached for him at the end. I don't understand why they needed to make Eliie one of the killers or why they felt the need to kill his ex wife.

15. PrincessJ88

PrincessJ88 Coroner

So judging by everyone's responses, it isn't worth it to watch last night's episode?