What Books Are You Reading?-#3

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jacquie, Jun 5, 2009.

1. BlueDiamondStar

BlueDiamondStar Coroner

E.L James Fifty Shades Darker

2. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

"The Deep Zone" by James M. Tabor

A reviewer (guy by the name of Brad Thor) said it was "The Andromeda Strain for the twenty-first century". I figured that since I've both read and seen the The Andromeda Strain I might as well. :lol: In it we have a 'superbug' decimating our military in Afghanistan and unfortunately with some military personel it's been moved to stateside military hospitals. Unfortunately this bug only responds to one antibiotic and they're running out of it so they've had to put together a team to go to a 'supercave' in the Mexican jungle to get the one organism (called 'moonmilk') they need to make more of this antibiotic and save the world. And lets not forget that one member of the team turns out to be a money hungry murderer because he doesn't believe they've given him enough respect or paid him enough as a scientist.

Susan

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  3. blackflag

"Libriomancer" by Jim C. Hines

Magic from books! Issac is a Libriomancer which means he catalogs books for their magical potential and can pull magical items from their pages. (a blaster from Star Wars, a potion from Harry Potter) He gets attacked by some young Vampires but manages to fight them off with the help of a friend, Lena (a dryad). This attack on Issac is only the latest of the attacks by a 500 centuries old secret organization that's supposed to protect our world from supernatural threats. Issac and Lena set out to find out exactly who's behind the attacks and stop them.

Normally I'd hit the 'vampires' and immediately say 'forget it!' but this is no Twilight so I decided to give it a chance. :shifty:

Susan

4. JorjaFoxFan

JorjaFoxFan CSI Level One

"Inferno" by Dan Brown.

Newly released. Must admit his books are a guilty pleasure :) His writing has never been fantastic, but boy does he know how to end his chapters in cliffhangers. Very engaging, would definitely recommend at least giving it a read.

5. blackflag

"Confessions of a Murder Suspect" by James Patterson & Maxine Paetro

The apartment is locked and Malcolm & Maud Angel are murdered by poison. The only other people in the apartment are the Maud's personal assistant, Samantha, and 3 of their 4 kids, Tandy, Harry, & Hugo. The story is told by Tandy who is out to figure out who, how, and why even if it ends up being herself. (Personal feelings is that it is her uncle who shows up shortly after the police!) The kids are all genetically gifted and more than smart enough to do it. The detectives on the other hand are idiots! Det. Hayes isn't so bad, he at least seems to care. Det Caputo is an absolute :censored: - he refuses to call Tandy by her name (he makes up a new name every time) and as near as I can tell (read half the book today) hasn't really looked outside of the 4 (oldest Matthew wasn't home at the time but... ) kids for a suspect.

Susan

6. blackflag

"The Titanic Secret" by Jack Steel

We start on April 6, 1912 when an English Spy is shot just outside the gates of the British Embassy in Berlin, Germany. He says 3 words to the guard on duty at the gate one of which the guard thinks is boss. Meanwhile Gunther Voss, a German financier, with the help of 2 Americans has hatched a plot to try to pull America into joining forces with Germany and against Great Britain so that he can get the South African mining rights controlled by the British. The 3 of them are listed as being on a certain cruise ship's maiden voyage to the U.S. so they can put their plan into motion. The British Secret Service Bureau's agent Alex Tremayne and FBI agent Maria Weston have been put on board the Titanic to find and neutralize Voss and his 2 American friends before they get to the U.S. and put their plan into action. There's also a British sub out there that even though we haven't actually been told their orders I believe has been ordered to torpedo the Titanic if Tremayne and Weston haven't sent a communication that they've neutralized Voss by a certain day/time.

Right now I'm on April 14, 1912 and I'm starting to wonder who - Voss, the 2 Americans, his 2 bodyguards, Tremayne, and Weston - survives till the Titanic actually hits the iceberg (or if the sub torpedo's it. :shifty: ).

Susan

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  7. Guybrush Threepwood

Guybrush Threepwood CSI Level One

Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton.

This is obviously the book the movies were based on. I've just started, but the movies are amazing, so how bad could it be?

8. blackflag

"I Michael Bennett" by James Patterson & Michael Ledwidge

Michael Bennett is an NYPD detective with 10 adopted kids. He and his NYPD taskforce along with a federal taskforce have taken down a big drug runner/murderer. While the trial's going on Mike is on vacation in upstate NY with his kids, nanny, and Father Seamus. He travels back and forth into the city a couple of times to testify at the trial and while he's on the stand the drug runner/murderer manages to escape from the court house. Meanwhile back in upstate NY 2 of his kids have managed to get shot because the town with their vacation house is having a gang problem. It turns out that the drug runner/murderer is after Bennett and his family as well as other cops and feds that were responsible for putting him in jail.

Susan

9. Guybrush Threepwood

A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray.

10. blackflag

"Utopia" by Lincoln Child

"Utopia" is an amusement park sorta like a mixture of Disney & Six Flags. It's lasers and robots and thrill rides set in different 'worlds'. (there's a space one and an old west type one and others) They're having minor problems with little 'glitches' that they think are in the Metanet (their internal network) which contols the robots, lasers, and the rides. They call in Andrew Werne, and expert in robots that built the Metanet, to fix things. Unfortunately a group of mercenaries have gained control of the entire park infrastructure and is now holding the entire park, employees and visitors, hostage. Andrew has to try to use the Metanet to catch the mercenaries and save everyone.

Susan

11. MakeTracksCowboy

MakeTracksCowboy CSI Level One

i've been reading a lot of classic literature lately. i started working in a library in March and we get to keep all the discarded and donated books for free. i have taken home more books than i can count.

right now i am reading A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. it's hilarious.

12. Urban Legend

Urban Legend Captain

I'm reading Dead Ever After by Charlaine Harris.

13. Guybrush Threepwood

One Door Away from Heaven by Dean Koontz

14. BlueDiamondStar

BlueDiamondStar Coroner

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown

15. blackflag

"Code" by Kathy Reichs & Brendan Reichs

The third in the "Virals" series. Tori, Hi, Ben, and Shelton find what they believed to be a 'geocache' (an item that is hidden that you find by being given it's GPS location) on Loggerhead Island - a box with clowns on it and a cypher in it. Shelton manages to decode the cipher which sends them on the hunt for the next clue left by 'the Gamemaster'. When they find the next box a small bomb is set off in the center of town. When they decode the next clue they are warned of a bigger bomb that will kill innocent people if they go the the authorities. They set off to not only find the bomb but who 'the Gamemaster' is before this bigger bomb goes off.

Susan