CSI renewed for season 14

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by blackflag, Mar 20, 2013.

1. JorjaFoxFan

JorjaFoxFan CSI Level One

Their biggest blessing is that as of right now, they have a steady cast. Another big cast change, and this show is gone.

2. monketsharona

monketsharona Police Officer

Yeah you're right if one of Ted, Jorja, Paul, George, Eric or Hall is departed, CSI would sink

But if Liza Shue, Wallace, Berman or Wellner is leaving, I don't think it would be very significant for the series' future

3. JorjaFoxFan

Agreed. In fact, I'm quite disappointed that Shue is returning. :(

4. Wojo

Wojo Corpse

I agree. :thumbsup:

5. Castello

Castello Civilian

Good News

6. Natasha Romanoff

Natasha Romanoff Police Officer

I was looking at the list of the cast listed and that are coming back, and I was like, WHAT, what about Ted. And then I realised his name's right at the top. HAHA, silly me. But this is awesome, I'm glad they're all back, especially Ted because I love him and I'm glad he's in CSI. Let's hope there'll be at least one epsiode where Nick takes a central role. Or is that wishful thinking.

Actually I quite like her, so I'm glad she's returning.

7. AleSir19

AleSir19 Hit and Run

It is true that CSI New York will not return for another season?

8. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

Sadly, yeah. The mothership stands alone now.

9. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

And season 14 will be shown on Wednesday nights at 10pm - for everyone who thinks of their ratings as poor and that they would get moved to another night. :)

CBS ANNOUNCES 2013-2014 PRIME TIME SCHEDULE

Susan

10. RocketScientist

RocketScientist Police Officer

I liked NY - I found NY believable.

About the only solace for NY fans is if some of the, particularly writing, talent can migrate to Vegas.

I have no idea if they do that.

11. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

CSI was CBS' best performing 10pm show, so I don't think ratings were an issue. What's more telling to me is that they didn't move it. CSI needs Criminal Minds. It's a good pairing, and CBS wants to get as many episodes as they can for syndication, but both shows are aging.
    And CSI is too expensive to move to Friday. I actually thought there might be a chance it would move to Sunday to bolster that night, since The Good Wife is lackluster in the ratings, yet The Mentalist holds its own. TM and CSI would have been a good fit, as it once was. But again, there are more ad dollars on Wednesday, which is probably why it stayed there.
    This coming season will be interesting. I anticipate more competition from Ironside for CSI.

12. Sookie

Sookie CSI Level One

If CSI wants to have a good season 14, they might want to get better writers and stop focusing on the new characters.

13. JorjaFoxFan

Exactly. The writers' room shuffle that's occurring for S14 will either be a blessing or a curse. Hopefully some of them will want to keep the show garnered in its roots, rather than creating new story lines for additional characters.

14. RocketScientist

RocketScientist Police Officer

Interesting. I think good writing is the THE key. There is stiff competition for plots with Hannibal, The Following, Criminal Minds and others (I don't watch *every* murder show on TV despite what my husband thinks!! :devil: )

It is quite noticeable with these new series that started this past season how the focusing on the forensics seems to have had to be 'avoided' so as to not appear CSI like! The audience is thinking - "well they need Trace to track this or that and DNA on the other and then the case will be solved".

They are having to go all psychological, and even psychotic in Hannibal case, to be not-csi-like.

Testament to a great show with a huge impact.

I for one hope that the csi writers do NOT try to move away with from *their* roots and radically change to compete with the post-csi detective shows. The csi-turns-soap has been a BAD move IMO, so let's hope the writers don't go all 'lets write a whole new show type within csi'.

Plot. Clever writing. Know your genre/audience. Keep it real. Is my advice. Plus a plea to keep out of the soap. Oh and fix GSR before you finish :scream: :scream::scream: no that is not a contradiction - they broke it so fix it.

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  15. Crumbs

Crumbs Police Officer

I have to disagree there, I really don't think the originals have been shunted so much this season in favour of the new characters. Morgan, I believe has been the centre of too many storylines and I hope she takes more of a backseat next season. DB has a large amount of screentime (obviously due to his starring status) but I think he plays off the cast so well that I never get the impression he hogs the camera. I've hardly noticed Finn much this season and I can't see how she has more camera presence than Sara, Nick or Greg. I think the writers have handled her pretty well this season to be honest once her Seattle escapade was over.

Every character was given a centric-episode at the start of the season, Sara and Hodges were given big storylines but I feel the rest of the team was appropriately balanced. The only character who I feel was lacking presence was Brass (I don't know if that's due to filming arrangements etc.) but he's got a finale arc which should continue into next season premiere (so long as it's not overshadowed by Morgan).

I have very few problems with the way characters have been treated this year and I actually think this has been one of the best years for overall balance. First and foremost, I'd definitely like more teamwork episodes (think "Unfriendly Skies" when writing #300 please!) and then think of ending at least one of Morgan's many ongoing storylines.