Season 9 Ratings

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by PerfectAnomaly, Sep 29, 2012.

1. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

The lack of advertising was definitely a factor...forgot that.

2. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

Those numbers are not that bad when seen altogether. Individually, well some ratings had given me headache! The show had shown signs of recovery from bad 8pm ratings as the season went on until the crossover episode. Something went wrong in the crossover episode that turn away some 18-49 viewers and didn't come back for the last two episodes.

The season 9 average is 1.4. It looks like the 8pm ratings hurt the season average. Had CBS not moved NY to 8pm, the season could have started strongly. Season 8 average was 1.6. That's a 12.5% year-to-year decline in 18-49. I think other CBS dramas such as Hawaii Five-0, Criminal Minds, CSI, The Good Wife and The Mentalist have suffered from bigger drops.

I'm not expecting renewal because the season ended with lower ratings. The 1.2 it got last night will just make it easier for CBS to cancel CSI: NY. As a fan, I think the low ratings will help me accept the cancellation. But, had NY gotten higher ratings, say 1.6, and still got cancelled, it would definitely give me a hard time accepting.

3. MacsGirlMel

I still think they're waiting.to see how the new show does....if it bombs,we could get another season.

4. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

I think the Nielsen ratings are an outdated system that needs to be revamped, but I digress. When you see something like 1.2/4, that means the episode got a 1.2 rating/4 share in the 18-49 demographic*. Hopefully I can explain this without confusing you further. :lol:

Basically, 1.2% of the adults in the US between the ages of 18 and 49 watched the finale. However, since not everybody is watching TV at any given time, the second number adjusts for that. So 4% of the adults 18-49 who were watching TV at 9:00pm were tuned in to CSI: NY.

rating = total % of demo, regardless of whether they're watching TV

share = % of demo that's actually watching TV during that timeslot

* They use the same system for different demos, or for households overall, but 18-49 is the Big One for advertisers. The better a show performs in this demographic, the more the network can charge for commercial time during that show. The reason for this is (I believe) that adults 18-49 watch less television than, say, adults 50+. Advertisers will pay more to get their commercials aired during a show that's popular in the 18-49 demo.

Bad example: If adults 50+ watch 10 shows, advertisers have ten chances to reach those viewers with their targeted commercials. Adults 18-49, on the other hand, might only watch 5 shows - so the advertisers have fewer opportunities to get their commercials seen, and they'll pay more money for the chance.

I hope all of that rambling made sense! :lol: There are other demographics that matter more to specific companies (they might want to target people under 25, a specific gender, etc), but 18-49 seems to be the main one they focus on overall.

5. csinyaddiction

csinyaddiction Victim

i really hope the show comes back for another season! it would be so cool if it was on for a decade!! on facebk, there's a page called save csi ny operation #9. it's a campaign to renew the show. it has a link to a petition you can sign to renew the show. please, everyone should do this! the more ppl that sign the petition, the better chance for renewal :)

6. MacsGirlMel

Another thing that I think I forgot...I wonder how much Melina leaving hurt things...it wouldn't likely impact like WP and MH leaving the original did but I'm sure som folks left because of it.

7. Ninja0980

Ninja0980 Police Officer

No doubt that it did but you can't force someone to stay. PLus,by the time she left the writing had taken a bit of a nosedive before getting back on track.