Ratings Discussion

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Desertwind, Apr 2, 2010.

1. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

It was a series low.
    But, it didn't have Criminal Minds as a lead-in. I suspect that had a lot to do with it.

2. Ipstenu

Ipstenu Police Officer Premium Member

Survivor AND Big Bang (repeat) were low too. A bad lead-in hurt, but CSI made a jump and improved on things. YMMV.

3. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

So why is that one demo so important? Why not just rate on overall number of viewers?

4. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

The 18-49 demo are the ones that the advertisers want to pull into the stores to buy their products. They're the consumers with the disposible incomes. The second number listed on that is the overall viewers. (Personally I'm in the 18-49 demo and believe me I do not have disposible income!!! :( )

Susan

5. KaiLUxO

KaiLUxO Police Officer

That and because of the crossover, there was no promo last week for this week. I only knew because I'm a member of this site lol. I'm sure there are a lot of people who don't like reading/watching spoilers.

6. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

The news is worse in the final numbers for Exile. Yikes!

CSI (CBS) .............viewers 8.540 million, 18-49 demo 1.9

7. monketsharona

monketsharona Police Officer

Thank you Big Bang Theory for the bad ratings..

8. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

Has Vegas done well with the demo all year?

9. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

It's been in the mid 2's.

10. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

Did a search for CSI: NY and checked out the #CSI:NY for comments about the episode last night. I came across this,

CSI Central ‏@CSICentral
    Series lows for both #CSI and #CSINY in the ratings this week. Let's hope they do better next week. #CSIForgetMeNot #CSINYTodayisLife
    Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

Is it true that Wednesday's ratings were a series low?

11. JorjaFoxFan

JorjaFoxFan CSI Level One

^ yes. And to be honest it doesn't surprise me there was little advertising done for the episode and a lot of NY and Vegas fans simply had zero interest.

I for one still haven't seen part 2 of the crossover because I dislike NY, and don't care one way or another about the characters. I watched Vegas for the alternate cases, as I have similar feelings towards Ted Danson

It's a shame for the series because I think they expected it to be more of an all around hit than it was

12. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

If you guys watch a lot of CBS, how much advertising do they do for Vegas?

I bet there are maybe way more for this show than NY.

When I watched football, I remember seeing Vegas ads but none for NY.

13. MacsGirlMel

I didn't watch all of the Super Bowl but I never saw any ads when I did watch.

I think bringing in Danson has helped a bit compared to the Fishburne years, but they're still losing viewers because of the writing if you ask me. I can't be the only one who skips episodes...and it's not because of the cases, it's how they handle characters I got to like and then they screwed things up. *coughGSRcough*

And even if things did improve a little with the switch, once people quit watching a show, it's not easy to get them back, plus right after Danson started as the lead, MH left, which didn't help.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  14. JorjaFoxFan

JorjaFoxFan CSI Level One

And that shows in the ratings. CSI still does better than NY and I attribute a lot of that to the advertising they do. The crossover just wasn't a good mix.

Also, in Canada, no previews were aired, even during the superbowl.

15. MacsGirlMel

Yeah, that is a big problem, when you put it together with the time slot issues. I see quite often the brief ads that just say "watch CSI NY" or something like that, and the air time, but the promos rarely re-air. And I have to wonder why CBS doesn't promote both shows equally.

Original CSI never had to compete with being up against Lost and then moved to Friday either. Neither slot was/is good.

And no, the crossover wasn't a good mix. I love the ship and some parts of the plot-I know I'll rewatch that ending a million times-but it could have easily been done as a normal NY ep or a two part ep and a better plot put together for the crossover. Like I said on the NY board, less people watch NY and a plot like that one isn't going to persuade them to tune in...if you don't know anything about the characters, you don't really have much desire to see what happens. It was basically an extended NY plot rather than a plot engaging both shows equally.

And I still wish they'd try bringing several characters from one show to the other in a crossover...that might get more people to watch.