"Double Fault" Discussion **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Smokey, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Finally watched the ep tonight. It was pretty good. I really think they do better with just 5 CSIs. Sara wasn't there...not saying she has to be the one missing...frankly I would have LOVED it if they had just not replaced Catherine and left it with DB (Ted) in charge of the other 4. The show started with 5 and I think that's how it works best, even with just one case. With 6 of them on one case plus putting Brass in there and Hodges and Henry and Doc...they are just spread too thinly.

I think Hodges is definitely being set up for a big fall.

2. JorjaFoxFan

JorjaFoxFan CSI Level One

^^^ That's my biggest downfall with the show right now. Anything more than 5 is too much. Especially now since they're more focused on 'lab rat' story lines. It's overwhelming.

Part of my bias may be the fact that I dislike Finn. A lot. I find adding another person into the mix with such a heavy back story is overwhelming in itself, but she gets as much screen time as Catherine, if not more. I wish they'd stuck back to the original cast members, instead of introduce a crazy new one.

3. byline

byline CSI Level One

I actually liked Finn better in this one than in many of her previous episodes. Not so much smirking, just acting more natural (well, natural given what we know of her so far). Considering what I'm reading about contract re-negotiations, I guess this is what we get. My biggest problem with most of this season's episodes is the amateurish, almost fanfic-y writing. The soap opera-ish lines from this episode (including the gal who turned out to be the murderer) are about the equivalent of a poorly written high school play. I never thought I'd relish the thought of an ordinary case with no behind-the-scenes drama, but I am. Every time I think we finally got one, then we get more gloppy gunk.

4. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

Really? How can they do that if they don't know if the show will be back next year or not?

5. JorjaFoxFan

The ratings have come in second for the hour on CBS for most of the season, to be honest I think CSI:NY is in trouble long before CSI is

EDIT: I do agree, Finn was better in this episode

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  6. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

Yes, CSI: NY IS in trouble, I agree. It's just if CBS already knows what shows they will keep or not, they need to tell the cast/crew of any show before May. NY is done in February and in my opinion, I think it will be done. Just wished they could give NY a good sendoff, but we all know they won't.

7. JorjaFoxFan

I don't watch too much NY, but I've heard the same sentiment from lots of fans. It's too bad.

For CSI, and this episode is no exception, I feel like the current writers are trying to tie up original cast member's lives and focus on the new cast. I miss the sense of comradery between the original cast.

I posted something similar in the GSR thread, but it's my best example. It feels like Grissom and Sara's storyline is being wrapped to make way for a Morgan storyline.

I just miss CSI ca. the first few seasons. After S7, it just did a nosedive.

8. byline

byline CSI Level One

I'm just going by what I read in this forum, and my understanding is that this was contract re-negotiations for this season. It sounds like several actors had their screen-time cut to a smaller number of episodes: http://talk.csifiles.com/showpost.php?p=1238080&postcount=194

9. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

I thought maybe it's just because I'm cranky about the GSR angst the writers are making up this season, but I think maybe you've got something here; and it might explain why I don't feel much for the crimes or their victims. The stories seem less compelling and the writing seems more formulaic. And the personal stories seem cliche.
    Maybe it's CBS and their generic procedural formula that's growing old. But, for whatever reason, I feel less compelled to watch (and less satisfied after I do), unless it involves a favorite character/ship.
    The production quality is still good, and I'm fine with the cast, so something's off.

ETA: Or maybe I am just cranky and out of sorts. (see GSR thread.)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  10. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

Okay, gotcha.

11. margarita_salt

margarita_salt Hit and Run

I feel exactly the same way. The show is great. episodes are fine but something is different about this show. I can't quite put my finger on it. I don't know if it is Morgan's character (who I am not fond of) or if it is just not seeing enough of Sara and Nick in the field.

12. Gr8gunz

Gr8gunz Victim

I don't care for Tennis or Finn or DB so this ep was a loser for me. Especially since Sara was completely absent. Did she take a few days off? The GSR angst is really getting to me as GSR has now become the main reason I watch the show. I don't see why the writers can't make G&S a very happy married couple devoted to each other. Noooo, there simply must be serious issues for them to deal with. I wish DB and Finn would run away with each other and open a PI service in Bismarck, ND. This cast just doesn't have the chemistry the original one did.

The Hodges/Elizabetta thing looks interesting though. I am keyed on relationships since the cases have become so lame.

13. PavlovsDog

PavlovsDog Victim

I know I am late to the party here, but I'm even behind UK pace and trying to have a huge catch up.

I liked this episode, the red herring was a bit contrived, it seems too much of a coincidence that all that back story leads to nothing yet she is still murdered by a love rival.

My main reason for posting here though was to question the Wendy continuity. I thought she left to join the CSI team in Seattle?

When Russell is talking to Henry about Hodges and Wendy's name comes up, Russell asks who Wendy is. So I guess Wendy left before DB took over the Vegas team (my memory of when characters left or arrived is a little blurry).

Would that not mean that Wendy would not only have worked under/with Russell, but Russell would have been the person who recruited her?

14. monketsharona

monketsharona Police Officer

Wendy is working in Portland now ;)

15. PavlovsDog

PavlovsDog Victim

Aha, I must be getting my Pacific Northwest cities confused. That makes more sense.