Grade 'Where There's Smoke'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Oct 5, 2012.

?

How would you grade Where There's Smoke?

1. A+

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  2. A

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  3. A-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. B+

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  5. B

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  6. B-

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  7. C+

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  8. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Episode 2 of season 9 airs tonight! Give it a watch and let us know what you thought. :cool:

2. goldnhart

goldnhart Rookie

Rob Morrow was awesome.

3. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I have to rewatch it this weekend because I was trying to live Tweet and watch at the same time. What I actually could catch I really liked.

Rob Morrow was amazing and I loved the final monologue. The Danny/Jo scene where Danny is worried about Mac was beyond amazing. It was very nice to see Danny act like a concerned father when in the past Mac was always the father figure to Danny.

The deaths were extremely disturbing.

I'm curious about Lovato. There are definite sparks but I wonder how they're going to play it. Will they get together and then struggle because Lovato reminds Flack too much of Angell? Are they just going to ignore the similarity to Angell? Are they going to distinguish her more from Angell in later episodes? I'm reserving my judgement until I see more.

I also liked Jo using her FBI training again. I love the different approach she brings.

I'd give this episode another solid B.

4. Speedslady

Speedslady Police Officer

The jury is still out on Lovato, at least for me. As for the episode I too will have to re watch. All in all a solid performance, felt sad for Mac it is killing him not remembering things. But I do like the realistic part of that, where most of the time you don't get the aftermath of the event, it has been dealt with off screen. I thought the story tied up nicely and two thumbs way up.

Did like the previews for next week I totally laughed when Mac slammed that guy against the car.

"Hey take it easy cop"

"I'm sorry I'm not from around here." Or something along those lines.

5. ~Sunny~

~Sunny~ Witness

Yes he just said that :D I was laughing so hard!
    My review will come tomorrow...

6. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

I need to watch again, I was using my Ipad at the same time and missed a few small details.

The deaths were disturbing, yeah. Especially the elevator one.

IDK if I'll accept the new girl well...I'd rather they'd sent Angell to another precinct and then brought her back...they shouldn't have had her die. I never shipped them heavily back then, but now I'm bitter about it LOL

too bad we know the traveling eps like next week likely won't lead to anymore spinoffs :(

Did anyone else find similarities between this case and "Sleight Out Of Hand"? Mainly the revenge killings and the anger at the foster family, as well as the attempt to kill the last person followed by the team getting there just in time. There were still many differences in the cases though, so it doesn't scream "recycled plot line".

7. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

I liked this episode and thought it was a bit better than last week's.

I do wish the detective Lovanto didn't look beautiful. I thought Mac had frozen when he and Flack went to the apartment and I am glad Mac had a slip up and Don noticed it. I have to admit, I thought maybe Jo would be the first to notice but that's cool that Danny went to ask Jo about Mac. Maybe Jo has noticed but she wouldn't say anything but maybe next week she notices it.

8. Rena

Rena Rookie

Hahaha, first I was wondering "why does that guy look so familiar?" because I didn't realize it was the continuation of last week's episode. I thought it was a great ep and agree with you, Mac&Adam Fan that it was better than the last one.

To me, the death in the elevator was more than disturbing, it was terrible and causing nightmares. I don't like them, though I'm not scared of them or so, but I would always prefer to take the stairs. I'm glad that in Germany there aren't as many high-rise buildings as in the U.S.

Speaking of dislike, I still don't know what to think of Levato. I liked Angell very much but seeing a younger duplicate of her walking around doesn't make me feel happy for Flack. Levato seems so young (and so much younger than Flack) and makes me wonder why she's already a detective. Plus, at some points I just didn't get what she said due to her accent. Same goes for Christine. I'm not a native speaker and I don't have a feeling for any kinds of accents. I love Jim Beaver, for instance, but Tom Cruise or Matthew McConaughey just get on my nerves. :lol:

I give this one a solid A :)

9. Speedslady

Speedslady Police Officer

Okay watching the episode right now.

Opening scene:

Defiantly creepy with the charred body. They discover the security feed and see Brooks is behind it. He's very demented and they defiantly showed it. Like the fact that Mac freezes, and Flack notices it, but he just waits to see what Mac is going to do. Finally he yells and pounds on the door. Brooks isn't there so now they've got to track him down.

Jo did a great job putting her profiling skills to work.

Thought the scene at the station was good, Flack seemed pretty impressed by the newbie. The jury is still out on her, I'm not sure what I think of her yet.

I felt bad for Mac when he was trying to put a photo out on the wire and couldn't think of the word to use. Mac is wanting to be okay, but he's not and I feel for him. Like I said I'm glad that they are bringing that to the forefront most of the time they do that off camera during the season finale and the premiere.

Did like the scene with Lovato, Flack and Mac pretty impressive, she's defiantly got a spine. In some ways she kinda reminds me of Aiden. But that is just me.

I thought the actor behind Brooks did a great job. He was very creepy.

Love to see Danny concerned about Mac. They are after all family. I'd love to see a great Don/Mac moment. They do have a similarity both of them nearly died due to their jobs.

Liking how everything is coming together. Though I would love to see more outside then the lab. Seems like that is where they are lacking. Maybe I'm wrong?

Okay what's up with Adam hair? He looks like he's ready for a suit and tie! Just sayin.

All in all love the way it all wrapped up. Thought the scene with Mac walking down the hall was good, showing how alone he feels right now.

And Brooks at the end, very unnerving.

All in all I give this episode a strong A+.

10. Jade_Nolan

Jade_Nolan CSI Level One

I don't why this episode didn't grab me quite as much as last week. Maybe because being trapped and burned alive is one of the few things that actually terrifies me. That elevator scene..... just, no. I was actually relieved when it was revealed she hadn't been burned to death. Overheating to death is still horrible, but quicker and not quite as terrifying.

I think the other reason was I felt so bad for Mac. My poor boy. To see him struggle like that was absolutely heartwrenching :( On the other hand, I do like how realistic they're being about the whole thing. I like too how Don noticed and was clearly wondering what the hell was going on but also much he obviously trusts Mac based on how he just essentially assumed everything was ultimately ok. And I have to say, I positively loved how it was Danny who was the first to express his concern that not everything is alright with Mac. It brings a great parallel between their experiences of dealing with being shot in the LOD (line of duty, for those who might not know the abbreviation) and being sensitive to little cues that the rest of the team might not necessarily pick up. Plus Mac and Danny have always had a father/son relationship in my opinion - from Mac seeing past the face value of Danny when he first hired him; to their confrontations from time to time; to Mac being there for him when Louie was beat up, when Danny expressed his fears of being a father, the obvious joy when Danny and Lindsey told Mac they were going to have a baby; and of course their was their scene in the finale last year. And while it's usually Mac looking out for Danny, a parent relationship works both ways, and it's great to see the "kid" looking out for the father figure. It made me want to hug them both. And the end with Mac walking by himself through the lab was so sad. He's had to deal with things all by himself for so long that he doesn't realize he's now got so many people who really are there 100% for him. Because the team as it currently exists is different than even back in s5 and 6, and not just because one person on it has changed.

I really liked how they brought back Jo's profiling background. I kind of wished her work had had more of a prominent showcase as it would have been a nice change from the norm of all the science-y stuff. Although that thing with cesium and water to make that guy burn from the inside out was really cool and highly disturbing. I know the show isn't Criminal Minds or anything, but bringing in an added dimension of crime solving purely by using one of the character's expertise would be really nice more often.

I'm in the camp of liking the new character, Jaime Lavato. I think in a sense she's supposed to be like Angell if for no other reason than the love interest angle. But I do think she's a bit more like Aiden than Jess, if we're comparing past female characters. She's a bit more snarky with that dry sense of humor. I do hate the cliches though. Not all female cops grow up with all brothers :p

Having gone on about so much that I liked about the episode, it seems even odder that I wasn't really all that in to it. Maybe it was because of the overused backstory of Brooks. Yes, Rob Morrow did an amazing job, but between all the crime shows out there, Brooks' backstory felt very convenient and easy and anticlimactic.

So overall - B+

11. ~Sunny~

~Sunny~ Witness

Jade, you almost expressed everything what I thought about the episode. ;)

But I reacted positive to it, I think my stress level was relatively high during the episode. The elevator scene was indeed very disturbing and I wasn't the only one who reconsidered using an elevator afterwards... Unfortunately that scene caused a nightmare afterwards, but that is not the fault of the writers :)

It was interesting to see all of those recordings from Brooks therapy sessions. It was very authentic in my opinion.

Danny asking Jo about Mac was very touching and Jo's thoughtful look afterwards made me wonder if she knows/ suspects something already.

I really look forward for more!

12. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

I think maybe somehow the team already suspects something is up but just think maybe it's one of those things. Even Christine HAS to suspect something as well.

13. Gaven32

Gaven32 Victim

But I do like the genuine aspect of that, where most of enough time you don't get the consequences of the occasion, it has been handled off display. I believed the tale linked up perfectly and two thumbs way up.