Grade 'Near Death'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, May 11, 2012.

?

How would you grade Near Death?

1. A+

13 vote(s)
    30.2%
  2. A

5 vote(s)
    11.6%
  3. A-

6 vote(s)
    14.0%
  4. B+

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  5. B

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  6. B-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  11. D

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  12. D-

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  13. F

6 vote(s)
    14.0%
  1. Grindigo

Grindigo Dead on Arrival

When I first heard about that I just thought, "We don't need another!". But if Danny and Lindsay decide to shuffle over to Montana then it could be really interesting. The last time we saw Adam with a gun (and only time if I'm not mistaken :confused:) was way back in season 6.

2. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

Adam has never had a gun. He would just use the gun in the ballistics lab.

3. Grindigo

Grindigo Dead on Arrival

I wasn't quite sure whether that was his or someone else's. :lol:
    Thanks for clearing that up.

4. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Didn't care that much for this episode. It was okay, but definitely not a favorite. I hate the whole "several days/hours earlier" stuff and this show does it more than most crime shows. That always gets points taken off for me. And then the soap-opera-esque "coma" sequences were annoying. I could understand one or two with Claire, but with people who were still alive telling him things he couldn't possibly know yet (like D/L's "news")... that was just a little too much for my tastes.

I liked that Mac couldn't pinpoint one specific thing for what he loves about Adam. That was nice. And the scene of Adam dancing with the dummy was humorous.

I was surprised to hear a Jess reference. Too bad it had to be in Mac's mind.

Lindsay jumping when cat hissed was kind of funny.

Liked Flack going under the bus and grabbing the criminal's leg.

It said "six months later". It took six months for him to come back to work? I almost expected him to have a wedding ring on. I don't know why they chose to have the "reunion" scene in the middle of a crime scene. That seemed like a weird place to me.

5. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

I bet next time this episode airs, they might change it or somehow in the season premiere, they will forget the 6 months thing.

EDIT: Yes, I did think the Lindsay/cat part was kinda funny.

6. Country233

Country233 Police Officer

I agree with nearly everything you noted. I get frustrated with the jumps in time. Even when paying attention to an episode, it just gets muddled.

And the "ghost" conversations made it seem more like a Medium episode or something. Just didn't care for that. I prefer crime show to stay within the realm of reality. Not to say that I am not outside belief in out of body experiences, just featured in that show didn't fly with me.

I will also add with the uncertainty of whether it would be renewed, it hampered my interest in the finale. It seemed like an ending and it bummed me out. Now with the show's future ok for now, I might rewatch it so I am not bummed out.

7. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

Something else was thinking. Maybe once Mac wakes up, he stays at the hospital for two months or so then he has to have PT and maybe that's why it took six months.

8. Rena

Rena Rookie

I think you're right! The storyline itself had no hiatus since the episodes were shot prior to the decisions of CBS. So I guess the storyline of the shooting took place in March and will be continued in September. At least that would make sense. :)

9. Country233

I think that makes sense.

10. Jade_Nolan

Jade_Nolan CSI Level One

I would agree (and seriously wish I could as that would solve all problems!) except for two things: 1) when Mac walked into the pharmacy he wasn't even wearing his suit jacket and acted as if it was warm outside...not exactly March in NY. 2) At the end, all of them were wearing coats. That is certainly feasible on a Sept night, but wool trench coat cold enough? I dunno, I guess I gave up this time jump to the multitude of inexplicable black hole continuums.

11. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

Maybe it just happened to be warm that day in NY kind of thing.

12. Country233

The Mentalist did another time jump and it made me frustrated. I guess the timing of the show doesn't get me down too much

13. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

No way this episode happened in January-April because the episode just before this had Lucy's birthday which is in early May. Time jumps are fine as long as they are consistent with the important events or dates that happen along the way. One way to correct the time jump is to not mention or indicate what month the following episodes happen. Or if the writers are feeling diligent, tell the important things or solved cases that happened during the 6-month time jump or any equivalent creatively.

The Mentalist time jump will make sense if the season premiere takes place right after the finale. That means, the finale took place in September and the episode before that actually happened around March.

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  14. FlackStavros

FlackStavros Victim

overall, the finale was good but the hospital scene with Jo and Christine made me miss Stella so bad, because i think she'd know all that info that the other ladies were trying to figure out...

15. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

I'm not so sure about that.