Grade 'Near Death'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, May 11, 2012.

?

How would you grade Near Death?

1. A+

13 vote(s)
    30.2%
  2. A

5 vote(s)
    11.6%
  3. A-

6 vote(s)
    14.0%
  4. B+

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  5. B

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  6. B-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  11. D

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  12. D-

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  13. F

6 vote(s)
    14.0%
  1. Crumbs

Crumbs Police Officer

I've only been a casual viewer of NY since around Season 5 but like last year, I watched the episode considering it was potentially the series finale. I hate to put it bluntly, but "Exit Strategy" was a much, MUCH better episode.

I hated all the "limbo scenes". Just like many incarnations of some sort of afterlife phase, I thought they were cheesy, dull and I got the impression that the actors felt a bit awkward doing them. ("I love you Mac." "I love you too Danny." Come on writers, you can do better than that! :rolleyes: )

I also disliked how the cases were sidelined in favour of these limbo scenes. I understand the NY iteration is more character-driven but I still felt the core premise of the show (the forensics) was MASSIVELY underused in this episode. (The whole "identifying someone by their MP3 playlist" got a big WTF from me too. :wtf:)

Okay, there were some parts I liked. Flack was my favourite character when I actively watched the show and all of his scenes were the most stand-out in my opinion. I loved all the references to "Pay Up" and how easily he restrained himself from shooting the girl. I quite like Jo too although I'd like to have seen her in the field more. Adam's a CSI now? Cool. The closing scene was really good as well with the whole team out on the case and the pre-credits opening was pretty well made as well.

In conclusion, I thought it was a pretty weak episode of CSI NY, although anything which involves some sort of afterlife experience gets a big thumbs down from me generally. I hope the show is renewed for a ninth season though, particularly if it's over Miami (sorry Miami fans!) as I was certainly very fond of it when it was showing Seasons 3 - 5. :)

2. warrick17

warrick17 Hit and Run

grade the episode a-.
    sort of liked the limbo scenes, although the scene with hawkes was imo to short, that flack scene made it for me.the cameo appereance from lucy was sweet and christine did a very good job overall.i liked the nice continuity from previous episodes such as charge of this post(hope i spelled it right),point of view and food for thought.another thing, that music at the the end can indicate a positive outcome for ny.anyhow it leaves room to interpret...:lol:

dont know were to post this so im trying it here.
    i was thinking that it would make a lot of fun to see wich episodes of ny, would make your top 10 list.just as a result,without debates and arguing.as starters, somebody should open a thread where every individual could list his top 10,(for the sake of the series possible ending:()optimally a host(mod maybe) should then count the votes ,from which he uses for example 30 episodes for the pool to vote from.i hope i explained it plausible.and this is just a thought.

3. Ninja0980

Ninja0980 Police Officer

I give this episode an A-. I enjoyed the scenes with Flack and Mac,the cameo by Lucy and Christine was excellant.
    On the other side,Mac getting shot didn't faze me in the least. Cold Case,all of the CSI,Law & Order SVU have all dealt with the lead officers/CSIS getting shot. Just more of the same in regards to Mac.

4. Ceindreadh

Ceindreadh Pathologist

Unfinished how? They identified the shooter and arrested her. At worst, they've got her on charges relating to the shoot-out in the bus park. Heck, she was probably using the same gun she'd shot Mac with, so she's going down for sure.

5. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

I just saw the ratings for last night's show....

AWFUL!!

For the viewers in the 9pm slot they did good. But for the share/demo, AWFUL!!

I would be very surprised if it comes back.

6. warrick17

warrick17 Hit and Run

i think she meant the intention of the robbers, why etc. they just went for the pills..

@Mac&Adam Fan
    it had to make at least 10 mio, or ?

7. Hardline Pro

Hardline Pro Lab Technician

There you have it, the season finale of CSI: NY. It was great, but I didn't cry like I thought I would. Still sad knowing it may be canceled.

I didn't really understand the story of the bank robbery, why was it there? LOL. And I also didn't really get why that woman shot Mac? What was she doing there? Was she the girlfriend of the guy who wanted the pills or am I missing something? :confused: The dream/limbo sequences were cool, I like the camera trickery. I really like all the interactions Mac had with everyone in his limbo state.

BTW, the Macy Gray song fit perfectly with the final scene. :thumbsup: Though one thing that was kind of awkward is that they were all hugging and laughing at the end in a crime scene...with a dead body and a bunch of other cops there. It seemed awkward and probably would've worked better if Mac came up the elevator in the lab and everyone greeted him there.

Anyways, it was a good series finale if it ends up being so. :)

8. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

Are you asking me about my comment concerning the ratings?

9. BRONX_75250

BRONX_75250 Victim

F UCK CSI:NY. You could've write (better) arcs for Eddie Cahill and Robert Joy. But you just had to cater to Sinise.
    F UCK him. Thank you, Anthony Zuiker for Season 1.

10. Hardline Pro

Hardline Pro Lab Technician

Wow, really? He's the main character. Of course they're going to focus the possible SERIES finale on him. :rolleyes: And yeah those ratings are pretty bad. It got a 1.1 in the 18-49 demo. :(

11. Rena

Rena Rookie

Oh, okay :lol: You see, I've never heard that name before.

As for the middle name, I think it all started with some biography sections on the official CBS site before they were removed. I remember some background stuff about the characters of CSI:Miami when the show was new. I know that some sources may not be official and rather random fan guessing, but I myself think they made it up for the season finale to be funny. I'll have to do some more research but I just refuse to believe that Mac's actual middle name is supposed to be Llewellyn. :scream::shifty::shifty::shifty::lol: No, No, No!

I guess some people gave it an F because of all the limbo scenes that dominated the episode and put the case into the near background. I have to admit that I didn't get the motive for the robbery of a pharmacy.

Maybe I will rewatch the episode to get a more positive impression and change my mind.

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  12. Ninja0980

Ninja0980 Police Officer

Mac is the star of the show,so of course he's going to get the main spotlight. Plus,it's not like Flack hasn't gotten his own share of airtime this season.
    Stinks about the ratings but not shocked. That six weeks off really hurt them.

13. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

I was a bit hesitant when a second "limbo" scene came on but only because I thought we would be getting Claire scenes throughout the whole episode. So when I realized that we would be getting all characters I was relieved and more open to them. Yeah, I think some lines were a bit cheesy but in general I thought they were pretty good. I especially liked Flack's and Jo's. They made me tear up.

I understand that the forensics was not as upfront as a lot of people would've liked but I liked the focus they gave the relationships between the characters. As a forensics show that usually gets shoved in the background and I for one watch more for the characters than for the cases. Yes I know it's a crime show, but take away the relationships and the character based episodes and I'm out. That happened to me with Law and Order. Too much about the case, too little about the characters. So it didn't really bug me that it was a "case light" episode; even if it's the series finale.

Bravo for the continuity. Especially with Flack and Jess. That scene was just amazing. Well, everything that was Flack in this episode was amazing.

I'm a Jo/Mac shipper and I did not take her "I love you" as in "I'm in love with him"; simply that she loves him. And I'm sure she does and I'm sure he loves her. So the generalization about us shippers apparently does not include me. I thought Jo's emotions were spot on throughout the episode and Sela did an amazing job. Her friendship with Mac is certainly a highlight in the show for me.

I enjoyed it. A-.

14. warrick17

warrick17 Hit and Run

yes i did, but i have them now by myself.really concerning numbers:(

15. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

Why is that demo so low? Why aren't they watching? And why's one group so much more important than the rest? They should use the overall ratings to judge.