Grade 'Near Death'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, May 11, 2012.

?

How would you grade Near Death?

1. A+

13 vote(s)
    30.2%
  2. A

5 vote(s)
    11.6%
  3. A-

6 vote(s)
    14.0%
  4. B+

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  5. B

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  6. B-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  11. D

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  12. D-

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  13. F

6 vote(s)
    14.0%
  1. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

The season--possibly the series--finale is tonight! Watch the episode and let us know what you thought. :cool:

2. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

I went to CBS.com and it is suggested to use #WillMacDie for reactions or comments on tonight's episode on twitter. Of course you can use #CSINY too.

3. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I made sure I was around to watch tonight and my step-sister and her family came over just as it was starting and left as it was ending. I caught the gist of what happened but missed most of the dialogue. I did hear Danny and Mac telling each other they loved the other and that was just perfect. I'll have to watch it online this weekend to really watch it but from what little I caught I think it was very well done.

4. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

You don't have On Demand?

5. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

Hahaha! CBS twitter feed said #WillMacLive. The website said otherwise.

Anyway "Near Death" is a great season finale. I enjoyed all the dream scenes especially between Mac and Flack and the final Mac and Claire scene. I didn't catch what Sid said to Mac becuase here we had these long annoying weather updates EVERY commercial break that run over into show. I didn't like the 6-month time jump. It's just kind of awkward but not really damaging. I wish it had been 3 or 4-month. If ever this is NY's last episode ever? I'm fine with it but for me "Exit Strategy" is still better as a series finale.

I'm praying CBS renews CSI: NY. The show's fate has probably been decided already. It's just that it has not leaked yet. If ever the show get lucky again, I hope next season is an everything-can-happen season! No more hesitations!

6. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

I completely agree. I'm trying not to be depressed and hope we get another season, but can't keep from feeling depressed fearing it is the last ep. I did tear up at the Mac/Claire scenes, and at least they didn't have him making a decision to go back. Maybe more of us will be okay with it. Anyway, I liked the interaction Mac had with everyone, too.

I could have gotten through nearly all of it at my cousin's, but waited because I didn't know when we'd leave...I'd have been forced to wait til I got home to see like the last 10 min...no way lol

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  7. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

Gonna re watch this episode tomorrow but I really liked it.

I still think they should have used Lucy last week and not this week but that was a cute scene with her. It does make me wonder if Anna or Carmine will be back next year.

Adam was funny as well as Sid. Sounds like Sheldon is still going out with Camille.

I never did think that Mac would die though.

Totally glad Lindsay isn't having another kid because if they put that in there then if there is a season 9 and she has a miscarriage, I would get upset.

The woman who shot Mac, I have to admit, I wonder if she even knew he was a cop.

8. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

She had to after he ID'd himself.

I figure Anna and Carmine will be back if there's another season...it'd still work though if they really wanted to move in a couple years, we'll be lucky to get one more season, let alone two. I'd like it, but IDK. Interesting how they had Lindsay say it,though, in Mac's limbo visions. That might have just been the easiest way to get it in though.

9. Rena

Rena Rookie

Okay, mmh. I don't know what to say or where to start. I did not like this episode except the parts with Claire. I think it was a pretty bad season finale.

The case was stupid since there was no actual case. How can you tell by a video surveillance camera record and a photograph if the veins on a hand match to each other? I've never heard of that before. And by the way, why didn't they just compare the DNA from the glasses and the guy?

This episode was just kitschy. I liked the parts with Claire and Mac and the fact that he got to talk to everyone he cares about, but the scenes themselves were at some points totally kitschy. I liked them on a basic level, but they turned so kitschy it was hard for me to keep watching. I'm sorry to say that. I hoped it would be a good season finale, but IMO it was not. Though I was wondering about the Jo/Mac shippers out there when Christine suggested Jo to be the one to be called in case of emergency and Jo saying "I love him". I was almost seeing them freaking out :lol:

And one thing really p***ed me off:

Since when does Mac have a middle name? I always thought his full name was McKenna Boyd Taylor Junior. That's what all character biographies say. But all of a sudden his middle name is Louis Allen? (how is it spelled?)Mac Louis Allen Taylor???? Where did that come from??!? :scream:

This episode almost made me want the show to end. They could have done so much better! :scream::(

10. Grindigo

Grindigo Dead on Arrival

Don't know how I could have given that episode less than an A. The fact that we now know Mac is part Welsh just made me give it an A+. I may not be fluent in Welsh, but I know for a fact that isn't how 'Llywelyn' is pronounced, then again, Welsh is quite annoying with its extra letters and mutations and stuff. :s

I thought all the character moments were really good, especially Adam, Jo, Sid and Flack's. It really makes me want to see more of everyone. I really hope we do get another season because I really do think this show deserves to at least get into double figures before it ends for good. I think it'd be a shame finishing on 9.
    CSI: New York over French revision any day. :D

11. greatfan

greatfan Captain

It's spelled Llewellyn.

12. Jade_Nolan

Jade_Nolan CSI Level One

Actually, nowhere on the show itself have we ever found out Mac's middle name. Any character biographies out there (like wiki) are unofficial and pure guesses. The only official 'Jr.' on the show is Don. And it's 'Llewellyn' which is Welsh like Christine told Jo. It all fits actually given how Irish his father's name is for his mother to be of Celtic origin too, and I really like that they chose something non-cliche in form of a Welsh name :)

As for the episode itself, I loved it. Granted, I think it stuttered a bit with that second scene with Jo and Christine in that they did make the dynamic between the three (Jo, Mac, and Christine) rather confusing. I know what they were trying to go for, but it didn't quite work. Yeah she said, "I love him", but Danny told Mac he loved him, and I love my best friend who happens to be a guy. Love certainly isn't a sentiment exclusive to a romantic relationship, but unfortunately that point is going to get lost amongst those who ship Jo/Mac. But beyond that, not even Hawkes' scene with Mac bothered me :eek: Granted, his and Danny/Lindsey's bits were the most 'meh' and cliche, but Lucy running up to Mac was so adorable and both scenes really could have been significantly worse.

Mac and Don's scene together was just.....wow. Beyond the beginning with Claire it was by far the most powerful, and I can not begin to describe how ecstatic I was at the level of continuity and perfection that the two of them talked about Jess' death and how Mac knew all along about Cade. I mean, we pretty much already knew he had to have known, but to hear him say that he knew and why he had never brought it up or done anything was just beyond words. I loved too how clearly the depth of Mac and Flack's friendship was illustrated and how Don took what happened to Mac and his potential death pretty much the hardest. Also, can I just say that Eddie is a brilliant actor! :D

I'm not going to analyze each interaction or bit, but Sid and Mac were also awesome. And clearly they intend to continue Mac and Christine together in a potential s9 despite the "implications" that the JAC shippers will insist on, otherwise it wouldn't have been Christine who stayed at his room and who he woke up to :)

One of the really interesting things to me was that it felt much more like a season finale as opposed to a potential series finale than last year. Yeah, it'll definitely work as a series finale, but they left way more potential storylines open, and the lyrics for the end song - "I've been here before. I'll be back for more." - you can't tell me that wasn't also a dig and message for the execs :lol:

I also quite liked that Mac getting shot was a total freak thing...wrong place at the wrong time, and how the opening case had no crime bearing to the incident at the pharmacy whatsoever. It felt way less contrived than if the shooting had occurred under some sort of dramatic circumstances. I loved the understatedness of the whole thing. Oh, and the beginning with the pill falling into the pool of blood and nothing but the store music playing while they panned to the bodies of the original robber and Mac....very eerie and perfect. Again, it just accentuated the understatedness and complete randomness of the shooting and was really quite effective.

The very very end was 'meh' and predictable but ok, and as great and miraculous as the huge amount of continuity they managed in the episode was, where exactly is "6 months later" going to leave us if we get a s9? Are we essentially going to be a year and half ahead of the events of the shooting? Because otherwise the next season would have to pick up in the middle of his recovery..... But I'm also sure it'll be a point which will be completely glossed over and ignored should the show be renewed. Oh well....

The little details about the medical stuff and the implied physiology of Mac's injury were surprisingly consistent and good. Except they shocked asystole ("flatline") again....:shifty: What is it with movies and tv commited such a flagrant error...?! bah.

Overall I absolutely loved it despite a few minor hiccups :D

A+

Edit:
    Yep, I about *squee'd* when Christine said that was his middle name!!! :D And yes, I think Welsh Gaelic is more confusing and annoying than Irish/Scottish Gealic is (as difficult as they are...!) :p

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  13. Ceindreadh

Ceindreadh Pathologist

'six months later' would only bring the show up to the middle of November. Assuming of course that the shooting was intended to have taken place on the '11th May' (did we see a date stamp on any of the security videos?)

It would be good if they did an episode or two during the 'six month' time frame, just to show how the lab functions without Mac, but I'll just be happy to see the show back for another season.
    (anybody else feel a bit weird sitting down to watch this ep and knowing it could be for the last time?)

I absolutely *loved* the Mac & Flack scenes. Mostly the limbo scene, but Mac ribbing Flack after he caught the first perp was hilarious (and how rare it is to see a character out of breath even after a long chase!)
    And the scene with Flack and Jo at the hospital definitely set my shipper senses tingling :-D

14. CRM

CRM Prime Suspect

The pharmacy case was obviously unfinished. Not everyday that people would hold up a pharmaceutical establishment at gunpoint unless they're jonesing for pills meant for some dying loved one, or the perp(s) may be jonesing for them alone. It sure doesn't look like they're robbing the place for some cash.

As for Case A, senior citizens with little bits of moments to live decided to rob a bank? That's new. So, it's solved then? Will Rothaar became studlier since last time I saw him on CSI's World's End.

I'm loving Flack throughout this episode. First, he's wheezing and out of breath and Mac calls him, "old man" = LOL! His lack of scientific expertise that causes him to lose it on the inability to identify Mac's shooter was begging for anyone of his lab friends to blow up her face for identification. And I like the "talk" between him and Mac about Jess and the consistency regarding the time Mac saved him (from the building explosion years ago).

Hopefully, Mac has told Sheldon about starting a family and getting married once Mac gets out of danger. I'd love for the both of them to have families and get married, if not to show it too much in case the new season happens. And Adam dancing with the mannequin and Mac asking if he could cut in was hilarious. As was Mac telling Jo that Adam was just Adam when he talks about his missing the colleague's individual memorable strong points. As for Jo not knowing too much about Mac, I'm guessing that division heads from any PD, including the NYPD, don't get to share as much information about themselves to FBI workers as someone on the same level as Adam Ross. Either that, or inconsistency on Jo's former FBI storyline, or Jo actually having too much respect for information on division heads.

Lindsay was tolerable when reacting to Mac being shot. She's been through alot, being a lone survivor on her friends' shootings, Shane Casey, Stella attacked by her boyfriend, Danny demoted from Sargeant, but I do wish she kept much of her emotions in check instead of somehow spilling her anger on Adam.

An emotional and nice episode, still could have make the pharmacy case more conclusive. This gets a B+, I wonder what 2 people would give this one an F. I do hope for a new season to CSI: NY.

15. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

I didn't get the sense he ID'd himself. He just asked her if she had a cell phone and to call 911 because a man has been shot.